Would you buy....?

MVS

I am considering buying a second vehicle for travel only, particularly when I travel to the Moab area. I am considering a used Nissan Xterra which has 124,000 miles on it. It will be useful for a trip I plan to Canyonlands, and will do four days on the White Rim. This will save me $800 on Jeep rentals, and also if I don't have to pay for rentals, I can take other trips, like to the confluence, that I don't do due to having to pay $200 a day for a Jeep. The price on the Xterra is near to Blue Book, and I have been reviews (both the initial model reviews, and articles about how it has held up over time) but the one factor I am hesitant about is that the vehicle is 17 years old, a 2000 model.

So I am asking you guys for feedback, particularly if you have experience with the Xterra, as to what you would think about making this purchase. Thanks.

...but the one factor I am hesitant about is that the vehicle is 17 years old, a 2000 model.

So I am asking you guys for feedback, particularly if you have experience with the Xterra, as to what you would think about making this purchase.

If something goes wrong with it in the backcountry, how confident are you that you would be able to fix the issue yourself? If you know how to fix the vehicle and have the proper tools and spare parts that might be necessary, I wouldn't second guess buying it based on age.

If there is a concern about being able to fix a breakdown in the back country I would get something pre-computer-controlled everything. If electronics go there is not much you can do in the field. I would go for something old like a Ford Bronco or Chevrolet Blazer with a plain old carburetor.

I can't say enough about my Xterra. It is a newer model though. I know that the models from the first gen were pretty under powered. They added a super charger later to step it up but then moved to the V8. I don't do anything super crazy in it like jeep trails or anything but it has gotten me to wherever wanted to go.

Now that they are bringing out the new Frontier, I think I might trade it in.