Who's stoked to get back in the desert??

Nick

-
I don't know about you guys, but the desert is my true love and the mountains are a nice place to spend the summer. It's about this time of the year that trip reports like Udink 's Ernie Canyon TR and fall plans get me jonesing for the desert like crazy. I was just researching some of my potential fall destinations and ended up re-watching a good chunk of Jammer 's Escalante to Monticello hike and thought I'd share for those who haven't seen it.

So who's got big fall plans for the desert?? :)

I always have desert plans....the summer heat doesn't stop me from going there :)

Haha! Okay mister smarty pants. If I lived in GJ, I think I might slip out there a few times during the summer too. You've gotta take advantage of that narrow window for alpine exploration while ya can though!

You've gotta take advantage of that narrow window for alpine exploration while ya can though!

You are right....I didn't get up into the mountains much last year and I did regret it...which is why I'm making sure to spend some time up there this year.

I have a trip coming up on Sept 8th with some Aussie friends again. We are hitting up the tourist spots for them. Doing Zion, Kanarra, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Page area. At least they are paying for my trip too so even better! It will be a a big photo trip.

Then a couple weeks after that heading up to the Tetons and Yellowstone. nick we will have to make some plans to meet up there. Then I have to come home early from that trip to work one stinking day then head down to Moab for our Aniversary. Taking the truck out on some trail to break in the new tires.

After that I will have to see where I can sneak out for a weekend here and there and count down to ICE fishing.

For sure, Wes. What days are you in Yellowstone again? For some reason I thought that you changed yours up so that we would miss you. We're there the 5th-8th. Would love to meet up if possible.

So far I have a lot of canyoneering planned for the fall. Two trips to Zion booked with permits in hand for Das Boot + Subway, Mystery Canyon (twice), Echo Canyon, Pine Creek, Keyhole and Spry. Basically, I'm gonna go get my ass whooped in Zion. :) Gotta fit in a trip or two out to the roost and/or swell and at least one solid desert backpacking trip before the nights get too long. Time flies...

You could probably say that I'm stoked to get back out there in 46 days (not that I'm counting)...

I am coming to Utah and Arizona for 10 days in October.

I have planned on going to Zion, Bryce and valley of fire Lots of photo opportunities.

Basically, I'm gonna go get my ass whooped in Zion.

Looks like our autumns are shaping up quite similarly, nick. Have several canyoneering trips lined up as well starting mid-September--Zion twice, the Roost/Swell for two weekends in early October, North Wash the first weekend in November. And if the stars align perfectly, I'll be able to squeeze in a three day weekend at some point to Escalante--probably to do the 40 Mile/Willow Gulch loop with an Egypt canyon thrown in to spice things up a bit. Reeeally want to get down to that zone at least once this year. Sooooo stoked!

I'm tempted... I'm off college for almost three weeks before my Spring semester starts in January and would love to go camping in the desert. I'm thinking about a few days in the Moab area
Unfortunately nothing else until then... :(

I have a whole bunch of ideas of things I would like to do. Zion Narrows (day hike), the Needles, Escalante River trail, Neon Canyon, Valley Of Fire, Colorado National Monument to name a few. I guess we'll see how much I actually fit in.

We're there the 5th-8th.
Sept or Oct? We're planning on Sept 19-23, but that is all subject to change depending on the weather. Yellowstone can be down right cold, wet, and miserable if it's storming that time of year...

Sept or Oct? We're planning on Sept 19-23, but that is all subject to change depending on the weather. Yellowstone can be down right cold, wet, and miserable if it's storming that time of year...

October. We're not camping though, so if the weather sucks, we can just drive around or hunker down in the hotel room.

Well nick looks like we will miss each other. Originaly we were staying to the 7th... but I ha've to work on the 5th.. I'll scope out the animals for you.
You guys should join us at the wave again! :)
Or tentative itinerary includes Death Valley, Kanarra Creek, Zion, Grand Canyon North Rim, Page Area (antelope canyon (maybe upper since I did lower already), horseshoe bend, rimrock hoodoos, etc), Coyote Buttes North/Wave, White Pocket and Valley of Fire

You guys should join us at the wave again! :)
Or tentative itinerary includes Death Valley, Kanarra Creek, Zion, Grand Canyon North Rim, Page Area (antelope canyon (maybe upper since I did lower already), horseshoe bend, rimrock hoodoos, etc), Coyote Buttes North/Wave, White Pocket and Valley of Fire

Well I will be doing a bit of that in a few weeks, and we have been craving Yellowstone/Tetons. Although the though crossed my mind!

I practically missed all mountain backpacking and fun this year. I'm hoping school allows me to hit up the uintas at least once before its too late buutt there's a ton I want to do in sutah as well (again, schol permitting .. :/ ). So much escalante to be explored... I'm just excited to be back in utah and able to enjoy the pleasures we have here.

Funny you are all craving the desert and I am craving the mountains! I did get a nice dose in July and hope to at least make it one time this winter skiing. Last year it never happened.