What Boots should I get?

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
Looking on REI Outlet since I've got this 20% off coupon and my rebate and debating about hiking boots.

The Vasque Scree's are unavailable in my size. That leave the KEENS. Debating between 3 options. The Klamath, Voyageur, and Siskiyou. Leaning toward the Voyageur since it does not have the waterproof membrane and my feet require being able to breathe or they overheat.

Anyone have experience with any of these boots? I'd like your opinon and feedback!

I've had a couple pairs of Keen boots but none of the ones you listed. The only problem I had was that my feet were a bit wide for them and they would come unstitched because of it. Both pairs it happened on were light weight mid hikers so not big heavy boots.

I've got somewhat wide feet too and the Keens have been pretty comfortable. I've tried Merrills and they're just too narrow. Vasque was comfortable as a kid, but the last time I tried them was so-so. I'm willing to give them another shot. Right now though I'm looking at these 3 and wondering what's best. That coupon's got a deadline on it and I've got a rebate that wants to go back where it came from.

companies that i know definitely make wide sizes available: Vaque, Asolo, Montrail.
I have some Asolo Fugitives that i rarely wear as I simply don't do boots that often these days. they would not be a very breathable option though, but in terms of fit, the Asolo boots I have had have always fit well when i get the wide size. I have a pair of Montrail GTX's - pretty much same thing as the Asolo Fugitives.
the most comfortable pair of light hikers i think i have ever had, which lasted much longer than i thought they would, were a pair of Teva Ossagon. there have been a lot of differrent options with that model, though i think most are on clearance now if you can find them.
they have a wider toebox and sole - i've noticed that teva is not putting this sole on much, even sandals, anymore, which disappoints me.
the pair of lowtops that I had lasted 3 seasons of regular daily wear plus hiking.

I am currently using some Zamberlains, cost more then my old keens but I love them. I have been using them 3.5 years averaging around 300 miles per year and they look great. My squaw has some Asolo's that she swears by. The Asolo's are the lightest full hiking boots I have seen and when the time comes to replace mine I'll prolly go with Asolo.

We only wear these for trips that really call for them, lots of rocks, lots of climb, lots of weight. Usually I wear my Chaco's which I belive were designed by the creator himself cause they are flawless.