What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it!

Wait… you just moved I thought from Utah to the NW, so when are you moving back to Hawaii?
Just closed on my house in Puna. Iʻm moving home to the Big Island early in the Spring.
I waited for this moment to happen for the last few years. I knew that the mainland would only be temporary for me because my home is Hawaiʻi. And Iʻm more than excited to finally go back.

Good luck y
Just closed on my house in Puna. Iʻm moving home to the Big Island early in the Spring.
I waited for this moment to happen for the last few years. I knew that the mainland would only be temporary for me because my home is Hawaiʻi. And Iʻm more than excited to finally go back.
Congrats on your house closing! Good luck with the move, and we'll look forward to your beautiful photos from Hawai'i (and all the ones between now and then).

South Guardian Angel....the first time I got lost on the descent. The second time it snowed and the route was inaccessible. The third time I found the correct route but waited until the last day of my trip and didn't have the energy level to complete it. The fourth time I broke my leg:( But I'm an optimist......success will come!

South Guardian Angel....the first time I got lost on the descent. The second time it snowed and the route was inaccessible. The third time I found the correct route but waited until the last day of my trip and didn't have the energy level to complete it. The fourth time I broke my leg:( But I'm an optimist......success will come!
I think I'd stay away from that place ........ sounds like bad juju

My unfinished business is making it to Midway Canyon from Dark Canyon via Steve Allan's crux crawl. We missed the correct ledge and had to bail back to exploring Dark from a base camp. The challenge is that it's a significant effort just to get to the area of the crux crawl. Someday...darj.jpg

My unfinished business is making it to Midway Canyon from Dark Canyon via Steve Allan's crux crawl. We missed the correct ledge and had to bail back to exploring Dark from a base camp. The challenge is that it's a significant effort just to get to the area of the crux crawl. Someday...View attachment 116687
I think @fossana managed to make the "we were here" ledge go

My unfinished business is making it to Midway Canyon from Dark Canyon via Steve Allan's crux crawl. We missed the correct ledge and had to bail back to exploring Dark from a base camp. The challenge is that it's a significant effort just to get to the area of the crux crawl. Someday...

Great perspective of that ledge @jholmes01.

My unfinished business:
On the second attempt, I still didn't finish the Cirque of the Towers Traverse car-to-car. Going in, I had just recovered from a summer of undiagnosed benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) that resulted in loss of appetite and I still hadn't regained the weight I lost. I was so spent that I headed down before the final peak. I ended up temporarily losing vision in one eye on the hike back, and was having a hard time with depth perception. That's the one and only time that vision thing has happened.

A takeoff on this thread...I call it "finished" business. I fell and broke my leg in two places last fall while attempting to route find up through many pools and the east root canal to the east rim of ZNP. Earlier this April, I was healed up enough the doctor gave me the OK to go back (but he did say to take it easy) I mostly took his advice but I'm happy to say I went back and completed the route. Of course, I stopped to take a picture and reflect back on where I fell. ( I was near the tree in the upper right corner of this photo)
1668904712352.png

Mine is a little more prosaic. I've driven the twelve hours to the Grand Canyon from my home on four different occasions in the spring, sometimes as a sole destination, sometimes as part of a longer intinerary. Whenever I arrive, the top half mile of the trails has been covered in ice. We've done a little hiking there, and found some routes, but I dream of a trip where all the trails are clear of snow and ice---because I have a ton of hikes I want to do there.

Yeah, I could go in the summer...but we've been trying to avoid the heat. A bit too successfully, as it turns out.

Mine is a little more prosaic. I've driven the twelve hours to the Grand Canyon from my home on four different occasions in the spring, sometimes as a sole destination, sometimes as part of a longer intinerary. Whenever I arrive, the top half mile of the trails has been covered in ice. We've done a little hiking there, and found some routes, but I dream of a trip where all the trails are clear of snow and ice---because I have a ton of hikes I want to do there.

Yeah, I could go in the summer...but we've been trying to avoid the heat. A bit too successfully, as it turns out.
When in spring? And when was the latest you went when the ice was still present?

Yeah, I could go in the summer...but we've been trying to avoid the heat. A bit too successfully, as it turns out
Much of the Grand Canyon is at its best, temperature-wise, when the rims are still icy. Bring a pair of microspikes and enjoy!

Much of the Grand Canyon is at its best, temperature-wise, when the rims are still icy. Bring a pair of microspikes and enjoy!
Keeps most away as well ............. ;)