Wetsuits and neoprene

Ross

Hi all,

Two questions about wetsuits for you more experienced canyoneers.

I got a heavily discounted new one but then realised it was 3mm when I believe most water canyons that don't see sunlight need 4mm for spring or fall.
I have like a neoprene long sleeve vest/shirt that I could wear under the wetsuit. But my understanding is that wetsuits work by trapping water next to your skin and body heat warms that trapped water.
Obviously when being anywhere that doesn't involve water, wearing layers layers is advised for warmth.
But I wasn't sure if that works with 2 neoprene layers, as water between the inner and outer layer isn't in contact with your body? (Perhaps is it even
counterproductive if the 2nd layer water conducts heat away). Or would the vest make me as warm as a 4mm wetsuit

Secondly, if I'm right that the heat comes from the body warming water that stays trapped, does tearing holes in boots' toes - as I always get - hugely reduce their effectiveness as water can then continually escape while being warmed, and would keep getting replaced by cold water conducting heat away from your feet. They're not uncomfortable, but wondered if I need to keep spending on replacements