West Uintas south of Trial lake 08/11 to 08/12

ABN

What was going to be a backpacking trip turned into a car camp. I still need a tent for 4 that is not too heavy and the Osprey pack for my wife just showed up today. Next time we will leave the Jeep at the trail.

We got to the Trial lake area early Saturday morning and I was shocked at how crowded it was. Then following a recomendation I read on one of the many threads, we went south on the dirt road until it started to get very rocky. From that point on we had many nice camping spots to choose from. Set up camp and took the kids to Washington and Crystal lake. Just about out of water we filtered water from the small stream running from Crystal lake, which had a touch of red.

Next day, we packed up, and explored the area over to Mirror lake. Found clear water to filter and caught fish in the Provo river just south of Trial lake. With the camera batteries low, we did not take many photos but we found lots of great edible wild mushrooms and berries. I also got to try out a new 35 degree sleeping bag that worked out great.

Mushrooms.JPG

Because of the crowds I've always stayed away from this area and thought it was going to be another camp city. But, I was surprised to find a camp away from others. Rocky roads are great for keeping the crowds away. We will be going back, its such a great place to go when the kids are not ready to make longer hikes.

Are those blueberries? I found some a few years back that were delicious. Also, about this time there are wild strawberries on the south dam at Trial Lake. They're small, but tasty!

We found blueberries, strawberries and currants, but only enough of the blueberries to bring any home. Strawberries do tast the best. The best jam I've ever tasted was made with wild blueberries and strawberries. We dry the mushrooms to make soup in the winter. Now if I could just find some chanterelle mushrooms, they are amazing sauteed!

What was going to be a backpacking trip turned into a car camp. I still need a tent for 4 that is not too heavy and the Osprey pack for my wife just showed up today.

Have you looked at any pyramid type shelters for a light tent for 4? I highly recommend them - very light, and tons of space. Check out the Go Lite Shangrila 5, I use the 3 all the time, but the 5 gets pretty good reviews from scout troops, etc...

It's not necessarily cheap - but no serious 4 person tents are. At 5 1/2 pounds though, you won't find anything to match the interior space.

One more thing. I have an Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 tent that I really like. I use it mostly for car camping but it weighs in at 7lbs 9oz so it's an option for backpacking if you split the weight up between people. If you keep an eye out you can find one on sale fro around $100. That's what I got mine for.

My wife is the expert on wild berries and mushrooms, its what her family went to the forest for. I learned other things from a primitive wilderness program I worked for in AZ.

One book I like and use a lot is "Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Rockies." If I make it to the Uinta meet up, I'll point out what I know. There should still be berries and the mushroom season is just starting. As long as it keeps raining several times a week there will be mushrooms. Some of these mushrooms can get very expensive if you buy them. Morels can go for $50 to $130 a pound depending on the time of year.

There is a Utah Mushroom society and they are having a fall outing in the Mirror lake hwy area 8/24 to 8/26. I'm hoping to stop by their camp site that weekend to learn more. http://www.utahmushrooms.com

I know what you mean about being afraid you might pick a poison mushroom. Even after years of gathering good mushrooms that are impossible to confuse with poison ones, I'm still afraid. The bad mushrooms can do very bad things to you very quickly and there is nothing they can do at a hospital to save you.

Thanks for the recomendations on tents. I've been researching online and running to REI and other stores for a week now. They both look good and the Go Lite Shangrila 5 at $300 is not bad, but it looks like it is out of stock for now. The Lynx 4 looks good and the price is even better.