West Rim May 18-19th 2012

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
I was so excited for this trip. Some of my favorite things are meeting new people, having company, and as of last year I learned I loved backpacking. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate a birthday than to fill it with your favorite things

IMG_1747.jpg

This trip was to be my treat for successfully completing another year of school, not as a student but as a lab instructor. It has been an overwhelming task starting a program and the end of this year I watched my first cohort of students walk and receive their AAS degree. Needless to say I was burnt out!! My summer started off with an awesome mountain bike trip to Fruita and now the opportunity to hang out with my son (a favorite) on our second backpack trip together.

Because I like having company I invited Scott Barlow and his wife Saori to stay with us the night before hiking West Rim. I know it is odd to invite complete strangers to stay with you but I have yet to have a bad experience and usually end up gaining amazing friends. I have to say Saori and Spencer really hit it off!! Spencer has a love of anime and Japanese culture. He pretty much talked Saori’s ears off.

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

The four of us were the first to arrive at the trail-head. We finished last minute packing and applying sunscreen while we waited for the rest of BCP gang to arrive. Once we were all together we hit the trail and I don’t really remember seeing much of Bill and Clint except at Potato Hollow and Camp.

IMG_1776.jpg

We took our time and enjoyed the various views and you have many to choose from. Only complaint was a section after Potato Hollow that was UPHILL we were attacked by biting flies (not a favorite!!). It was so bad they about drove Spencer and I crazy! We stopped and quickly wiped bug spray all over us and it worked for about 5 minutes but those greedy blood sucking bastards wouldn’t give up!

As soon as we were up on top they disappeared and we went back to our moseying pace. I am awestruck anytime I stand on top of Zion and take in the natural beauty surrounding me. You could dedicate a life time to exploring every inch of Zion and never attain your goal, or in my humble opinion, become disenchanted by the adventure. This was exactly what I needed to clear my mind, sort out a new beginning and recharge my spirits.

The weather started to become questionable and you feel very exposed and vulnerable on top of Zion, sort of like you are egging on the Gods to throw down lightning bolts at your head just for being there. We picked up the pace and made it to our camp spot. Where I sat and watched/helped Nick create a shelter should it rain. Thankfully the storm didn't pass directly over us. Bill had brought a Frisbee and it wasn’t long before we were all engaged in tossing the Frisbee at each other.

As the sun set we hiked to a good vantage point to take sunset pictures. I left the group to find my own place it was my 39th birthday and I had heavy thoughts on my mind. I lingered along time taking pictures and watching the sunset. From my secluded spot on West Rim I could see the city lights of St. George twinkling at me. When I returned to camp Nick and Bill learned it was my birthday and gifted me a can of beer (beer! one of my favorite things) and several swallows of something yummy. I don’t remember exactly what it was but I did delight in the burn as it went down, soon the heavy thoughts drifted away.

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Spencer, Nick, and I stayed awake and talked for a bit while the others slept. It was bitter cold and I would have loved nothing more than to have a campfire (another favorite thing). The wind finally chased all three of us into our sleeping bags. The next morning Bill and Clint took off before I had enough time to wake up and think of coffee (you guessed it a favorite). Saori and Scott left next followed by Donnie, Nick, Spencer and I.

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

I don’t have much to say about the hike out other than it was relaxing and I enjoyed every step. It is a bit overwhelming to see hardly anyone for miles and miles and then be dropped into the hordes of tourists attacking Angels Landing. Surprisingly we did see one familiar face as we hiked down, a fellow May baby Kevin. By the time we reached the canyon floor I was ready for a refreshing dip in the Virgin River.

IMG_1953.jpg

What did I learn:

Beer in cans!! I never buy beer in cans but for backpacking I will never be without one again.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Awesome. One of the best backpacking trips I've had this year. I particularly enjoyed freezing my ass off with you and Spencer and sipping down the last of the booze in camp. Good times!!

This was an awesome backpack especially for my first time to Zion. I never thought the wind could be that chilly when it was so hot during the day. AH! There's that pic of Nick, Spencer and I with my poker face. :facepalm: I will for sure do this one again and hopefully I'll have great company like there was on this one.

Just say the word and we will go again! Never tire of Zion.