Weekend Backpacking Trips

Nick

-
As many of you know, I'm starting a new job at the end of February. While I'll be getting more vacation time overall, I'll be limited on what I can take the first 3 months. So I'm trying to figure out trips I could do this spring that can be done without taking any time off. Leave Friday afternoon and return Sunday evening kind of trips.

I know I could go down to The Swell or something but I specifically want to backpack, not just car camp. And this will be March, April and May so that rules out most of the high country. Any ideas?

I was going to do a weekender down in Escalante last spring and never did. It was just hiking from HWY 12 where it goes over the river and up to where Death Hollow dumps in. You have Escalante Natural Bridge to take pictures of and some Ruins too. Simple hike but at least your outside.

Good idea. Or maybe head down the other way towards Phipps Canyon. Hell, if you had a shuttle, you could easily hike the 15 miles from Escalante to the Hwy 12 bridge in two days. That's some really easy hiking. Although I think the last half from Death Hollow to bridge is my least favorite so I probably wouldn't want to do it out and back. Should be getting better as they work on the russian olive eradication though.

Anyone ever backpacked downstream from the Hwy 12 bridge? What about Boulder Creek?

Awesome! Definitely going on my list. Are there routes with water though? Looks pretty dry out there.

This BTW, is really cool.
All of the routes have water if you put it in your backpack :).. I am all over heading out to notch peak.. Also look at some of the stuff Just in big cottonwood,

You can join me on my May slog of the skyline of the oquirrhs :)

Very true. Any specific suggestions?

BTW, I dig the new profile pic. :thumbsup:

Thanks. A few suggestions would be. Lookout Canyon to Slickhorn Canyon loop, Road Canyon loop, Fish Canyon to Owl Canyon loop, Lime Creek Canyon loop, Toadie Canyon to Bullet Canyon in Grand Gulch, Green House Canyon to Grand Gulch to Pine Canyon to Step Canyon loop. If you do the latter loop mentioned there is a 60ft dry fall that you will want to avoid by staying out of the canyon and entering below it. I have the GPS beta for the dry fall if you end up doing that hike. All of these canyons are full of Anasazi ruins and art.

We did East Rim Trail on a regular weekend last June. We'll be trying for permits for the West Rim this May doing the same- drive down Friday evening, on the trial Saturday morning and heading home by Sunday evening. Might still be cold and snowy during spring.

My fiance and I don't get much time off so we're trying to do the same, plan for quick weekend trips, so keep us posted if you find some good ones.

I'm in the same boat. My vacation time renews each April and half of it is spoken for by the beginning of June, so I've also been kicking around ideas for weekend trips. Especially backpacking trips. I'd love to join you for the Escalante River backpack if you decide to do that one. We could drive separately so we'd have a shuttle. An option I was looking at for March for my first backpack is the lowlands of Zion. I was looking at doing either the Chinle Trail or Coalpits Wash. Island In The Sky has a couple trails that would make a nice two day backpack. You'd want to bring plenty of water for those, since likely your only reliable water source is the silty river, but if you only have to worry about water for two days, a dry hike is doable.

Great ideas markj and pixie1339.

I'm really feeling a lot more stoked about the shorter trips now. What about Capitol Reef? I know Upper Muley would be cool. What else would make for a good one night backpack there?

And Lisa, I'm totally down for doing some trips like that this spring. As soon as my ankle is ready, I am game. I'd like to think March should be good but right now I still can't handle walking on anything that isn't pretty flat. :(

Great ideas markj and pixie1339.

I'm really feeling a lot more stoked about the shorter trips now. What about Capitol Reef? I know Upper Muley would be cool. What else would make for a good one night backpack there?

And Lisa, I'm totally down for doing some trips like that this spring. As soon as my ankle is ready, I am game. I'd like to think March should be good but right now I still can't handle walking on anything that isn't pretty flat. :(

Glad you're feeling better about it. There are definitely some good options for weekend backpacks. For Capitol Reef, Lower Muley would be good, or Spring Canyon (there's an upper and lower canyon, so you can do a few different options there). Another weekend backpack that I really want to do this spring is Mineral Gulch, just outside of Zion. Let that ankle heal up, and when you're ready to start trekking let me know.:)

Glad you're feeling better about it. There are definitely some good options for weekend backpacks. For Capitol Reef, Lower Muley would be good, or Spring Canyon (there's an upper and lower canyon, so you can do a few different options there). Another weekend backpack that I really want to do this spring is Mineral Gulch, just outside of Zion. Let that ankle heal up, and when you're ready to start trekking let me know.:)

Spring Canyon is looking like an awesome quick weekend trip. Were you thinking of starting at Chimney Rock and doing Lower Spring Canyon?

Spring Canyon is looking like an awesome quick weekend trip. Were you thinking of starting at Chimney Rock and doing Lower Spring Canyon?

Yep. I got a taste of what the canyon looks like when I hiked the Chimney Rock Loop last spring. It's gorgeous! It would be really easy to add that loop on to a weekend trip, as well.

Yep. I got a taste of what the canyon looks like when I hiked the Chimney Rock Loop last spring. It's gorgeous! It would be really easy to add that loop on to a weekend trip, as well.

I'm sold. Think you could swing that last weekend in March? Drive down Friday March 30th in the afternoon/evening, hit the trail Saturday AM and drive back Sunday night? I could probably pull off the weekend before too. I am assuming my ankle will be ready for backpacking by mid-March.

I'm sold. Think you could swing that last weekend in March? Drive down Friday March 30th in the afternoon/evening, hit the trail Saturday AM and drive back Sunday night? I could probably pull off the weekend before too. I am assuming my ankle will be ready for backpacking by mid-March.

Hell yeah! As long as I'm back Sunday night the last weekend of March works for me. I work 8-5 Monday through Friday and my boss is a stickler about letting us leave early, so I'd either be good to leave Friday evening or early Saturday morning (6:00 a.m.). That's how I usually roll so that I get one extra night in my my own bed.:) I'm open though, so let me know what you'd prefer.

I need another idea for a short weekend backpacking trip for this weekend. Cedar Mesa is tempting but it's sooooo far away. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking Chimney Canyon although I had been hoping to save it for when I have an extra day.