Water Bottle Survey

What kind of water bottles do you use/like?

• Aluminum

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Squeeze style (bike bottles)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Standard 1-liter Nalgene

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Camelback 'eddy' style bottle

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other (post in comments)

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Nick

-
Thinking about getting some BCP water bottles printed up to use as giveaways. Wondering what kind of bottles everyone likes to use. Aluminum ones are definitely the easiest and least expensive to get done, but I'd rather get what people like. Feedback in the poll above or comments below would be much appreciated.

Personally, I like the 1-liter Nalgene bottles for water and the aluminum bottles for a large backpacking flask.

My friends say my nalgenes are a part of me as I'm always carrying one. Even when I commute by bike I take my nalgene because I like drinking out of it more. I wish they'd solve my dilemma and make a water bottle for bike holders.

I won't carry anything heavier than a used Gatorade bottle.

- DAA

I carry a Camelbak water bottle with me all the time (work/home). I use a 1-liter Nalgene with my Steripen. I have several of the free metal bottles clogging up my cupboard at home. My wife just made a comment the other day about how much she hated the metal bottles (I'm sure she would love one with a backcountrypost sticker though).

I won't carry anything heavier than a used Gatorade bottle.

- DAA
If I'm backpacking I usually carry one nalgene and anything else is a disposable plastic bottle.

Platypus....... not really a squeeze bottle...... need to add that ..... weighs around 1 oz, tougher than Gatorade bottles, way lighter than Nalgene....

Just for backpacking or for any kind of hiking?

For any kind of hiking. Just can't see the point in carrying a heavy water container, when very light ones are so cheap and easy to come by. I've no problem using my Steripen in a Gatorade bottle, either.

- DAA

For any kind of hiking. Just can't see the point in carrying a heavy water container, when very light ones are so cheap and easy to come by. I've no problem using my Steripen in a Gatorade bottle, either.

- DAA
The Gatorade lids don't really hold up for me when dropped or stepped on especially on rocky trails.

Yeah, I sometimes use gatorade type bottles as flasks and I've broken the lid right off on a bad throw to a buddy. Had to get out the duct tape to keep my precious High West from leaking out! I've hiked with a few people who love them though. Personally, I'm okay with a few extra ounces for that particular item. I'm still baffled at how you guys get the steripen to work in them though. Tight fit.

I mostly use a bladder, but also carry a Nalgene, sometimes, for convenience and extra storage.

You probably already know this but make sure many new water bottles are clear or very light color so the magic wand works. Got to see that precious blue-white light (and the harmful UV) so we can trust our water.

Sorry for the Steripen tangent but is there any issues with water on the threads of the water bottle? When chemically treating water I tried to get some bleach or iodine on the threads. Does the pen kill the bugs that collect on the outer rim/threads of the bottle? Maybe I am just being OCD but I thought I would ask.

Sorry for the Steripen tangent but is there any issues with water on the threads of the water bottle? When chemically treating water I tried to get some bleach or iodine on the threads. Does the pen kill the bugs that collect on the outer rim/threads of the bottle? Maybe I am just being OCD but I thought I would ask.
http://support.steripen.com/entries...t-might-be-on-the-threads-of-my-water-bottle-

No, the pen doesn't do anything for the water on the threads, but I've never worried about it. I'd be surprised, short of taking your water from a pool of feces, that you could have enough giardia cysts around your rim to get sick. This is a good article about it.

I wouldn't take that article to the extreme, though...you should still treat your water...but I wouldn't lose sleep over the threads, either.

Wipe them off...you should be fine :)

I'm still baffled at how you guys get the steripen to work in them though. Tight fit.

Maybe we are using different models of Steripen? I can't remember which one I have, but it's easy to use with a Gatorade bottle.

I've broken the lid off a Gatroade bottle before too, being careless. I've also watched my Son spring a leak in the bottom of a Nalgene, being careless. He just dropped it about 2 feet to the ground next to the log he was sitting on and it landed just right on something pointy on the ground and started leaking from the very bottom.

But that's one of the prices to be paid for trying to shave ounces off my pack, is learning to treat all the lightweight stuff carefully. None of it is very robust.

But, while I'm comfortable trusting my water to a Gatorade bottle, not so my whiskey! It get's more TLC than that. Been carrying it in one of those Platy 750ml wine flasks, has worked quite well, so far. Very little weight penalty as the flask is less than 1 oz. Did have a scare last spring in Grand Gulch though. Was my first trip with a new ULA Circuit. Previously, I'd been using trampoline back Osprey's and was not used to having a pack riding right against my back. Anyway, first rest stop, I took off my pack and the shirt on my back was so soaking wet, I was sure my precious High West had been leaking out of the Platy. It was just sweat from the pack riding right against my back though. Getting off on a tangent here, but I sure wish that ULA had a trampoline back like the Osprey's, without being any heavier than it is, of course.

- DAA

But, while I'm comfortable trusting my water to a Gatorade bottle, not so my whiskey! It get's more TLC than that. Been carrying it in one of those Platy 750ml wine flasks, has worked quite well, so far.
- DAA

I hear ya @DAA, the single malt whiskey has totally different transportation values than mere water! I even carry a thick glass shot glass with my sweeties name on it for the evening ritual even though I cut the handle off my toothbrush to save weight.

http://support.steripen.com/entries...t-might-be-on-the-threads-of-my-water-bottle-

No, the pen doesn't do anything for the water on the threads, but I've never worried about it. I'd be surprised, short of taking your water from a pool of feces, that you could have enough giardia cysts around your rim to get sick. This is a good article about it.

I wouldn't take that article to the extreme, though...you should still treat your water...but I wouldn't lose sleep over the threads, either.

Wipe them off...you should be fine :)
Thanks.

My main concern is when used on lake water where hiking to the inlet is not practical. I have a trip planned to GTNP @ Phelps lake this summer with my wife and kids. I have cleaned a lot of nasty crap out of my filter from high mountain lakes that appear to be crystal clear.