Wanting Info on the Cabeza Prieta Game Refuge

Kmatjhwy

Wilderness Wanderer
Hello Everyone! Here it is in the middle of winter and the snow, ice, and cold is all over up north. Right now am here in the small town of Ajo, Arizona after slowly biking down to here this past fall. I left Jackson Hole on September 5th and came down thru Eastern Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and here in Arizona.

Now for the crux of the matter. Soon am heading down in just a few days to Organ Pipe Cactus NM where will be hanging out, hiking about, and biking about in the area. Also plan to soon bike ride out and across the nearby Cabeza Prieta Game Range. It is in the heart of the Sonoran Desert and about all good real wild country. So is there anyone here can give some pointers on this country? Plan to bike ride out across the Camino del Diablo and camp out that way. Do know it is real desert out that way. There are several water holes and water wells out that way that do know about. And today got the permit. Heard about this country years years ago. Have been to Organ Pipe before but not the Wild Cabeza Prieta. So any help and tips in seeing this Cabeza Prieta - Organ Pipe Cactus Country will be very appreciated. If ever gonna see this piece of good wild country, and since am here in the area in a cold winter up north, guess it should be now this winter. Thanks for your help!

It was really nice, remote, empty when I went there a little bit, its been about 40 years ago....... now I dont know ?? A lot of smuggler traffic .... people and drugs now. Can be hot and dry even in winter

Rockskipper, will remember this the next time I get up that way. That is a far space to go on a bike. Gosh, would love to sit down and have a longgg chat with Doug Peacock.
Think it might be a long way yes to go also for a horse or a mule also. And especially right now with soooo much good grass buried by the snow and ice.

At least down here it is sunny and nice today with maybe in the 60s.

Now will make a trip report of my bike trip one of these days for everyone. Still so much to see and experience. Hike, Bike, and Bird! Life is Great!!!!

Been poking around .. check out hikearizona. com. They have a little info. Dougpeacock. net/cabeza-prieta.

Kofa national wildlife refuge is neat as well as the castle dome mtns. A little farther west.

I would personally not traverse the area alone, only in a group. A few years back we were hiking in Organ Pipe (west of Cabeza Prieta) and came across a guy who clearly was not a hiker. He needed water, food, and possibly medical attention (my Spanish isn't that good, so can't say for sure). It was not a scary or threatening situation for us, but it could have been depending on the individuals and motives involved. Anyway, it appears that you have already completed your bike trip but I just wanted to mention this in case someone else reads this thread.

I would personally not traverse the area alone, only in a group. A few years back we were hiking in Organ Pipe (west of Cabeza Prieta) and came across a guy who clearly was not a hiker. He needed water, food, and possibly medical attention (my Spanish isn't that good, so can't say for sure). It was not a scary or threatening situation for us, but it could have been depending on the individuals and motives involved. Anyway, it appears that you have already completed your bike trip but I just wanted to mention this in case someone else reads this thread.
When I solo hiked in Organ Pipe a few years ago, I saw a lot of migrants passing the area. Many of the dudes were in rough shape.
I went out at night a few times and did some Milky Way photography. Sometimes there was a lot of movement all around me, and I'm pretty sure some migrants were passing through at night.
But I wasn't worried at all.
It was sort of a pretty interesting experience

Now Thanks for your replies everyone. Now from what am beginning to hear around and about in the area is that this next spring could be a pretty good bloom as concerning the flowers here in the desert. Now here it is New Years and another rain storm in the desert. Would be nice to see it all covered in flowers.

Also wanted to say to everyone that I was down here in Organ Pipe Cactus NM 41 years ago and hiked all over. It has been interesting being down here and escaping all the winter storms that are up north this winter. Am seeing border patrol people everywhere here as of late. Am also even encountering US Army personnel here helping out the border patrol. And all the locals I see and talk with, they all are not that concerned at all with the illegals it seems. So might as well see and enjoy the area since am here.

Reactions: Bob