Volt 75 or Aether 70?

tschertz

Newst Noob!
Volt 75 is brand new for $150
Aether 70 is used for $170 (not concerned about condition-looks fine)

I am more worried about which one will hold a Bearvault 500 - it seems every website is different.

Volt is 33x14x14 and Aether is 35x14x14 - how in the heck can the volt be 5 more liters with those dimensions?

What would you guys go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I think the volume ratings of backpacks are somewhat fictional in many cases, just like temperature ratings of sleeping bags, but I usually think of this as happening more across brands than within one brand. No idea what's going on here.

Is the Aether the AG one? Have seen the volt before and always thought it struggle to carry the BV500 sideways (how I pack it in my 65 atmos). Can you check out the pack in person w/ your bearcan?

Volt is 33x14x14 and Aether is 35x14x14 - how in the heck can the volt be 5 more liters with those dimensions?

Unlike the Volt, the Aether comes in s/m/l/xl sizes all under that ‘70L’ banner. The extra large size, the dimensions you’re referencing, is actually a 76L bag.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/aether-ag-70-AETHER70.html

I’d try it on. XL is massive. I’m 6’1” and their mediums (the size that actually delivers the ‘banner’ volume btw) fit me correctly.

Unlike the Volt, the Aether comes in s/m/l/xl sizes all under that ‘70L’ banner. The extra large size, the dimensions you’re referencing, is actually a 76L bag.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/aether-ag-70-AETHER70.html

I’d try it on. XL is massive. I’m 6’1” and their mediums (the size that actually delivers the ‘banner’ volume btw) fit me correctly.

Second on trying it on first. I'm 6' with a longish torso, and also wear a medium or large (seems like I was right between sizes, but I can't remember which one I got!) in Osprey packs. I have the Aether AG. Bought last year, only a couple trips with it, but it holds a lot of stuff. I don't have a bear vault, though, so I can't test it out for you.

I'm pretty sure I carried a bear vault (the big one) in my aether 70. It's been a long time tho so dont quote me. I had either the small or medium size pack.