Valley of Fire - what else?

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
The last few days I was thinking about this year's Spring Break trip and I would love to go to Valley of Fire for one or two days, exploring the area a little bit.
But what else could I do nearby? Any recommendations?
I have 5-6 days, eventually I can add one more, if needed.

I went twice to Hobgoblins playground aka Little Finland, I have also driven Lake Shore drive and explored the area a little bit.
So if anyone can recommend something for me, I really appreciate it a lot.
Otherwise I just head back to Death Valley again, because Telescope Peak is still on my list.

pixie1339 and @ Seldom Seen Anderson:

I'm definitely going. Will watch the fares over the weekend, but I don't think they are going down.
So I'll use some of my backup Delta miles(800.000 in my account, perfect for emergencies like that) :D
That trip will be an emergency, because I have a severe outbreak of cabin fever and the only cure is to get out somewhere

Since you have been to Devils Fire (I think you called it hobgoblins...) you have passed through whitney pocket. Have you looked at any of the petroglyphs there? There are some pretty good panels in the area.

Since you have been to Devils Fire (I think you called it hobgoblins...) you have passed through whitney pocket. Have you looked at any of the petroglyphs there? There are some pretty good panels in the area.

I'm not sure if the area has a real name, there are so many different ones.
So far I only know of some petroglyphs after passing Whitney Pocket, I'm not sure if they are the same.

Another option is to head north to Snow Canyon. I can't get it out of my mind.
I think, it's the fault of Lisa with her TR. ;)
What about Red Cliffs area in March? A good idea? What about water levels during that time of year?

Depends on the spring runoff but unless we get some major snow in the mountains there wont be one! But typically red cliffs has a perennial stream running through it and some cool/ photogenic waterfalls. Also when people say red cliffs they often mean the Red Cliffs Recreation Area (kinda like a small version of valley of fire) this is where the waterfalls are but the entire area is actually the red cliffs national conservation area (rcnca). This is a huge piece of property down here in Southern Utah and stretches literally from Snow Canyon to Hurricane (it is split up into several pieces) In rcnca (formerly red cliffs desert reserve) there is quite a bit to do and see. Anything from arches to wide expanses of slickrock and from wilderness areas (cottonwood canyon and red mountain)to mazes of fins, hoodoos, etc. I will post a couple pics here and if you go to my old blog that I once upon a time updated you can see more.

Here is my blog I once upon a time updated.
http://mattsamazingsouthernutah.blogspot.com/search?q=red+cliffs+desert+reserve+waterfall2a..jpgArch..jpgrc1.JPGrc2.jpgredcliffs1..jpg
There is quite a bit to do and see in the red cliffs desert reserve (currently Red Cliffs NCA)

PS if you make it to st george area I would be more than willing to meet up with you and show you any of these place or explore new ones! and/or if need a place to stay (depending on my wife's approval :whistle:) that might be something we can work out!

thanks blueeyes and Seldom Seen Anderson for your images.
And now I have to see that place by myself. It looks so awesome.
The waterfalls and cascades are a must, and that arch trail looks so inviting. :twothumbs:

PS if you make it to st george area I would be more than willing to meet up with you and show you any of these place or explore new ones! and/or if need a place to stay (depending on my wife's approval :whistle:) that might be something we can work out!

I keep that in mind, Matt and would be more than pleased to meet you and have someone to show me around.
I always like to meet people with the same interests than me ;)

Since you are flying to Las Vegas, why don't you go to the Red Rock Canyon? It's only 20 miles west of Vegas and has great geologic features.

Haha, I was also going to suggest Red Rock Canyon, but if you've already been there a few times then you should definitely head to the St. George area and check out some of the goodies around there. Matt is right, there's lots of cool stuff to do in Red Cliffs. I have a whole list of stuff to do out there on future trips.

The last few days I was thinking about this year's Spring Break trip and I would love to go to Valley of Fire for one or two days, exploring the area a little bit.
But what else could I do nearby? Any recommendations?
I have 5-6 days, eventually I can add one more, if needed.

I went twice to Hobgoblins playground aka Little Finland, I have also driven Lake Shore drive and explored the area a little bit.
So if anyone can recommend something for me, I really appreciate it a lot.
Otherwise I just head back to Death Valley again, because Telescope Peak is still on my list.

Cathederal Gorge is relatively close. You could also hit up the ET Highway, Hot springs in Caliente or Ash Springs,the Elgin Schoolhouse, petroglyphs,trilobite digging, and ghost towns. All of them are available in the Cathederal Gorge vicinity.