Utah Fire Restrictions 2012

Great, now I won't get to use my Emberlit stove unless I want to drive north.

Yep, we were reporting this today. Just this afternoon we had fires in Provo Canyon and Pleasant Grove. That's on the heels of Monday's fire in Centerville. Bummer that it's a blanket ban but it's the only way people will get the message.

Yep, we were reporting this today. Just this afternoon we had fires in Provo Canyon and Pleasant Grove. That's on the heels of Monday's fire in Centerville. Bummer that it's a blanket ban but it's the only way people will get the message.

Hehe. And here I thought I was on the cutting edge of information because I saw it on Facebook! Haha. Feel free to pass along any outdoors stuff you report on here. I'm always interested and I live in a black hole of media coverage.

As for the ban, it sucks but I'm okay with it. It will be interesting to try a season of alpine backpacking without one. But I tell you what, if I get cold and wet and I'm miles from shelter, I'm building a fire! :) I'm just not posting any evidence like I did with the whole Salt Creek debacle. But seriously... I did just order a backpacking lantern.

Since I rarely have a fire, it doesn't really bother me. Pretty sure it's going to be the same for Colorado this year, too.

So target shooting is still legal yet its the main cause of fires this year.... brilliant.

man - this does blow. camping with a 1 year old sans fire just means going to bed early. Not a big fan. State agencies need to pull their head out - looks like somewhere around 80% of fires this year have been started by shooting - time to put a stop to the stupidity and not screw the campers.

So target shooting is still legal yet its the main cause of fires this year.... brilliant.

That's thanks to the Utah State Legislature. They and they alone set firearms policy in the state. USFS, UDFFSL, BLM, NPS and others would all love to ban shooting for the summer months but it would spark a legal storm.

It was even so bad with one of the fires down near Saratoga Springs a couple of weeks ago that the BLM came out and asked people to stop shooting in the area. The fire had been started by shooters and while crews were working to contain it, more yahoos were firing in their vicinity.

I called the ranger station in Kamas and as of tonight the Uintas are a no fire zone.
She also said that target shooting will also be banned.

FYI - Camp stoves are also banned outside of campgrounds.

So no hot meals while backpacking!

i just called the kamas ranger district too... she said "call back tomorrow, the camp stove ban will probably be lifted by the weekend..sounds like somebody screwed this one up - they must know the shitstorm this is going to start.

no fires i can understand and respect - no campstoves is absolutely ridiculous.

as of right now, i still think these rangers have been misinformed. none of the press releases that mention the ban starting tomorrow say anything about campstoves being banned. only open fires.

i'm going to be optimistic and say this is a miscommunication. it certainly hasn't been "officially" announced anywhere, and until that happens, i'm going to naively assume the people on the phones are wrong.

yeah, probably a mis-communication somewhere about the campstove ban, i hope.

i cannot buy into the logic that deems the backcountry user as irresponsible campstove-fire users, and yet continue to let users of roadside attractions and campgrounds fire up the known agent of wild fires: Bic lighters/matches and cancer sticks.