Utah desert winter trip?

I was down in the Canyonlands area over the weekend. The temp forecast for Moab was low 20's at night but I swear it was single digits up in Island in the Sky. I slept out on the ground, no tent, zero degree bag and a nice pad and I was cold. First time I've ever been cold in that bag. So anyway, hit and miss, time the weather and bring lots of wood!

The San Rafael Swell was awesome this weekend. I camped out near the Temple Mountain/Goblin Valley junction on Sunday night, and though it was windy, I kept warm using two sleeping bags. The weather was perfect for hiking, and almost no snow--I got in 12 miles of hiking over two days. Trip report coming soon! :)

I don't have any issues camping in cold weather but I always have a blast on our yearly Moab winter trips with the kids. Most hotels rooms are typically 50% off from December to March and Arches and Canyonlands are free of tourists.

Just make sure you don't break your ankle.

oh... and with the little snow (and a bit of gusto to hike in it) you can get some epic photos.
5835951252_7c96ceaac6_z.jpg

That Delicate Arch pic pisses me off right now. Not that it would have had snow on it had I actually made it to the arch on Saturday night. My foot is still swollen to hell and far from fitting into a shoe...

I'm heading down south next month with the kids, but we're gonna hotel it. (There's no way I'm going to have my 10 month-old sleeping in a tent when it's below freezing). Hopefully everyone stays healthy enough, this year has been a bummer when it comes to sick kids.

I'm heading down south next month with the kids, but we're gonna hotel it. (There's no way I'm going to have my 10 month-old sleeping in a tent when it's below freezing). Hopefully everyone stays healthy enough, this year has been a bummer when it comes to sick kids.

what dates?

I don't have any issues camping in cold weather but I always have a blast on our yearly Moab winter trips with the kids. Most hotels rooms are typically 50% off from December to March and Arches and Canyonlands are free of tourists.

Just make sure you don't break your ankle.

oh... and with the little snow (and a bit of gusto to hike in it) you can get some epic photos.
5835951252_7c96ceaac6_z.jpg

This photo rocks!

How far south? I just returned from Valley of Fire State Park, NV weather was awesome, night temperatures were chilly but not bad and hotels, albeit GHETTO, in Overton, were cheap!! (the one former best western was quite pricey for the time of the year but the others were cheap) plus KIDS LOVE VALLEY OF FIRE! If you have ever been to Red Cliffs near St. George, Valley of Fire is Red Cliffs on steroids!

We're not going that far south next month, but Valley of Fire is definitely on the list. My parents have stories about taking me there when I was a lil' kid, but I have no memory of the place. I definitely want to check it out soon.

We're not going that far south next month, but Valley of Fire is definitely on the list. My parents have stories about taking me there when I was a lil' kid, but I have no memory of the place. I definitely want to check it out soon.
I will post a TR in the next couple days!

I really like the Cedar Mesa area in the winter. It can get cold at night though. Last January when I was there it was 50 in the day but got down to the teens and single digits at night.

Contest_MG_8505_.jpg