Unrefrigerated Milk?

The Splitter

I was shopping tonight at Publix and ran across Horizon Organic milk and chocolate milk, it was on the isle with the canned and dried milks. Would this stuff be safe for the trail? It sure would be nice for oatmeal in the morning and perhaps to add to other dishes like Mac & Cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's lots of shelf stable milk like that. It's doesn't need refrigeration until you open it. I remember drinking the stuff from Gossner's cheese factory up in N. Utah a lot when I was a kid. Mmmm... Strawberry milk. I'd probably gag if I drank it today though. But with that said, why pack all that weight when you can just do powdered milk?

If it is Gossner brand it even tastes good! My son did a project last year in canned milk. I was impressed. Plan on using it for car camping and as far as packbacking just depend on how much you want to carry.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've yet to try powdered milk, I'll have to give it a try. I was mostly looking at it as a treat for day hikes or car camping where weight isn't such a huge deal. Some chocolate milk would be nice to go with lunch on a day hike. The horizon chocolate milk is stupid good.

I've taken some of the Horizon Organic Milk. I usually save it for a couple days into a long trip when I really miss milk and it doesn't taste as bad. I myself actually prefer the vanilla over the chocolate (I'm picky about pre-mixed chocolate milk).

I actually prefer getting almond milk over anything though.

I am extremely picky about pre-mixed chocolate milk in fact I refuse to drink it. Spencer asked me to drink the chocolate flavor for his Gossner project, I was pleasantly surprised. Stuff is actually good. Anyway glad to know I am not the only one so picky about that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm probably going to bring two or three on my trip to NC in May. I've had the chocolate flavor before and I love it.

Powdered milk isn't nearly as bad as it sounds! I put it in hot chocolate at night and in granola in the morning. Mix with water and it tastes just fine-and it doesn't weigh much!

Back