Unmaintained Howard Eaton Trail -- Oxbow Creek, Yellowstone (07/05/16)

Keith

For years I visited Yellowstone with my family and we thoroughly enjoyed the established trails. But then I started looking closely at the historic maps and I kept seeing this “Howard Eaton Trail” all over the park (pretty much the original figure 8 in the park). Only a few segments are described in hiking books and are still maintained. I took an interest in exploring them and then I met some other folks doing the same (most notably @scatman). I’ve hiked segments all over the park and I've been chipping away at this segment from Blacktail through Oxbow and Geode Creeks:

IMG_1929.JPG

A couple years ago I hiked the western portion starting at Blacktail (described in http://backcountrypost.com/threads/segments-of-the-howard-eaton-in-yellowstone-10-29-11-1.3813/#post-44189). I was easily able to find the markers a couple miles from the road. I did have to navigate around bison herds so that slowed me down a bit. This year I decided to pick up where I left off and to take it across Oxbow Creek and to the east.

On my previous journey I lost the trail when I got sidetracked by a game trail and was running low on daylight. It took me a little time this year to find it again but I did find it without too much trouble. Overall I hiked a little over 6 miles this time and found 18 markers -- including the marker at the intersection with Oxbow Creek. I had some excitement near the end when I fell on my bear spray (details later).
I parked in a turnout just west of the Blacktail Plateau Drive and headed North to find the trail. It was pretty easy going at first:

IMG_1574.JPG

I was vigilant being on the lookout for bears and bison but the only wildlife I saw was an Osprey and a sage grouse (is that what they are named?). The grouse gave me quite a scare -- they can really make you jump!

I did come across a rocky and wooded section that was surprisingly difficult to navigate:

IMG_1575.JPG

Here's a look back. It was harder to traverse than it looks -- really:

IMG_1576.JPG

I knew I was getting close to the trail but it did take me awhile to figure out where it heads down Oxbow Creek:

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

Found it! It's amazing how orange have remained all these years -- at least the shaded ones:

IMG_1580.JPG

It's actually very pretty around Oxbow -- lots of valley views and no people!

This is looking across Oxbow where I am headed:

IMG_1581.JPG

Looking back before beginning the sharp descent down to the Oxbow. There are markers but you can't make them out in this picture:

IMG_1582.JPG

Can you see the marker in this picture -- the tree on the left. This marker is very faded:

IMG_1583.JPG

A closer look at the marker. You can see how easy the trail is to follow at times:

IMG_1584.JPG

Really starting to head downhill down:

IMG_1587.JPG

The section just west of Oxbow Creek is VERY easy to follow. It makes me wonder if it doubles as a game trail:

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1591.JPG

Crossing Oxbow Creek:

IMG_1592.JPG

After a steep climb up the east side of Oxbow Creek -- looking back to the west side:

IMG_1593.JPG

The trail remains easy to follow on the east side:

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

Clearly there are other people lurking around here at times. I found several antlers on rocks and in trees and this time I found a dead tree with a marker carefully placed against a living tree:

IMG_1596.JPG

Once you climb out the east, there are plenty of great views to the west:

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

Including views of Electric Peak:

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

These nursery rocks always crack me up. This one had a marker as well -- clearly a great place for lunch on a hot day:

IMG_1602.JPG

At this point I lost the trail again:

IMG_1603.JPG

And then I decided I didn't want to go down into another valley -- I'll tackle this portion to Hellroaring in the future (hopefully with @scatman):

IMG_1604.JPG

A few last looks around before heading back to the road:

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

More view to the west:

IMG_1608.JPG

And that's when I stopped taking pictures. While scrambling up a hill I fell and my bear spray landed on a rock and it blew up in my pocket. My left leg was completely drenched in bear spray! I took my pants off, bagged up all the mess and did my best to clean off my before racing back to the road in my underwear. It felt like a REALLY bad sunburn so the fun was over. I put some rain paints on for the walk along the road. I had planned on hitchhiking but didn't want to sully any stranger's vehicles with bear spray. I raced back to Mammoth for a shower and waited out 2 very painful hours until the burn wore off.

Here is the route I took as measured by my GPS. The locations of the markers can be seen as well (except that hete8/hete9 was where I stopped to take my paints off):

route.png

Now a personal side tangent. I met @scatman (and through him @Joey ) online while reading a blog about this section near Oxbow Creek (https://yellowstoneballpark.wordpre...-exploration-of-the-howard-eaton-trail-51510/) . I've been fortunate to enjoy numerous Yellowstone adventure with those two over the past four years. Life is a journey and I'm grateful to have such great family and friends!

Great write-up @Keith ! I always enjoy your reports on the old trail. I want you to know that I'm living vicariously through you for my Howard Eaton fix. Your story on the bear spray still cracks me up. I guess since I shot myself with it a few years ago near Yount's Peak you can laugh at me too. I can still remember the discomfort to my fingers when I crawled in my tent and tried to go to sleep that night even though I had sprayed myself that morning. Potent stuff indeed. Or perhaps I'm just a wimp. :)

Great write up Keith!

No I Blazes?

I've sprayed myself with bear spray in a similar fashion before. I was taking my backpack off, and accidentally knocked off the safety of my bear spray in my pocket, which shot directly into my leg. Is sucks. And burns. I had to sit in Mallard Lake for the afternoon, and could never wear those shorts again.

I had grouse charge me once. It came from behind me making some kind of insane noise,
which caused me to turn around and it ran right at me. I was so startled I jumped.
Fortunately, I remembered I'm 100x bigger so I took one swift kick at it, without connecting
and it retreated into the brush, changing its noise from a shriek to a whine.

Sorry to hear about the bear spray. Good for you having the back up pants.

I had grouse charge me once. It came from behind me making some kind of insane noise,
which caused me to turn around and it ran right at me. I was so startled I jumped.
Fortunately, I remembered I'm 100x bigger so I took one swift kick at it, without connecting
and it retreated into the brush, changing its noise from a shriek to a whine.

Sorry to hear about the bear spray. Good for you having the back up pants.
Good one!

Excellent report Keith! Pretty cool that there are people keeping tabs on the old trail. It was truly a pleasure meeting you and hiking with you. I hope we can do it again soon.