Album Unique, not seen finds - Post yours

Antlerking

I was wanting to start a post that we could share unique, not seen, out of the way finds. Things like Rock Art and Ruins. I found that IntrepidXJ has one like that, AWESOME photos in that post!

On this one let’s see your unique finds out in the hills and desert here in the West. Things that aren’t know about, or off the main trails, anything from ruins, rock art, Spaniard stuff, arrowheads, pottery and old western stuff. I’m sure we all have pics of things we haven’t shared. With that being said, you don’t have to post where it was found or what state it was in unless you want too.

Here are a few pic’s from finds here in Northern Utah that I’ve found, I know the one dwelling nobody knows about. The Shoshone Pictographs I didn’t know existed until May of this year. I just found them two weeks ago. I will give you a hint on them. They are in Northern Utah.

I’ve only shared these finds with close friends. I’ve always liked seeing photos of peoples cool finds and thought this would be a cool, first post.

Enjoy

334_cliff-dwelling.jpg915_shoshone_pictographs (1).jpg916_shoshone_pictographs (1).jpg918_shoshone_pictographs (1).jpg925_shoshone_pictographs (1).jpg

I like this thread, I'll be posting mine sometime soon!

I had a video here...then realized it says photos in the thread title

Videos work just fine. The midget cabin clip was way cool. I need to get a GoPro so I can get some footage from my trips.

found a possible pottery production site and/or midden pile

this first photo is only about half of the pottery sherds that were present. it was a mix of multiple styles.

IMGP3914.jpg

this knuckle was also in the mix

IMGP3924.jpg

the entire site was at the edge of a gully that was washing out. from below, one can readily see the layer of ash/charcoal in the soil

IMGP3929.jpg

there were plenty more sherds precipitating out of the sides of this as well as being scattered around the entire area nearby.

Historic midden pile near Balanced Rock in Arches NP - a totally random find that the park was not aware of.
I'm guessing it is most likely from the original campground...or else this is where Abbey was dumping his garbage ;)

Balanced Rock area Historical Site by intuitive cat studio, on Flickr

and here is a geological anomaly also in Arches NP
strange, eh? anyone have a clue how something like this could have formed?

shots from a couple of angles:

odd formation by intuitive cat studio, on Flickr

odd formation by intuitive cat studio, on Flickr

Small medicine wheel, Keg mountain.

IMG_2147.jpg

A gastrolith that is also a hammerstone

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

Old 1849 inscription on the Swell

IMG_4433.jpg

A big one!

IMG_1794W.JPG

Small ones

IMG_2058.jpg

And so on and so forth...

- DAA

In the upper right corner, in Road Canyon. Others have undoubtedly seen this, but it just looks like people (and a child?) falling to their death (or to some cosmic place), which must have been a fairly common occurrence.

I0000E0y5pNDd_xs.jpg

With all the cow pies on the ground I was surprised anything was still intact. We were going up a side canyon when we ran into all this on the ground. We were trying not to step on it, that is what the cattle hadn't pulverized. The arrowhead was laying in a old set of deer tracks. I couldn't believe it was still in one piece. I'm sure by now the cattle have destroyed it. This was back in 2004.
122_arrowhead.jpg125_pottery-shards.jpg

Zion Skyline Pictograph. It wasn't extremely hard to get to this one, but the fact that this is about a 2 hours drive east of Zion I thought it was a great find!
Zion+Petra.jpg