Uintas - Allsop and The Cathedral

Those pics all taken with your phone? Still a Samsung?
Yeah, all with my Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm a pretty lazy and clumsy photographer. I usually just point and shoot and don't think much about settings, lighting, framing, etc. I'm like, "ooh, that looks cool." *point, click*. =) So yesterday I started looking into my phone camera settings a little closer. All sorts of little things in there. I learned a lot by just taking the time to poke around. I have lots of questions. Maybe I'll post some of them in the photo forum. I also think I'll take it to the park Sunday and just play around with it. I usually don't have the patience during a trip.

Too bad you didn't get on top of Agassiz! I've done that one from above Blue Lake (I think that's the lake). There was some fun scrambling and I think you would have been fine. But, better safe than sorry when solo. =) Post-holing was definitely worse near the rocks. But we also found sections where it looked like it should be solid and it wasn't. In hindsight we should have started earlier as it could have made a big difference. But...the post-hole sections were short and manageable. Glad you got some fun glissading in as well. Nice!

@Vegan.Hiker and @JoshuaDyal

Yeah, I think that was the website the guy told me to visit. It looks like it'd be fun to try sometime. I've heard mixed reports about them. Maybe we need to create a new thread and see what people have to say about goat packing. (I don't care about this trip report getting side-tracked though). =)

Yeah, all with my Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm a pretty lazy and clumsy photographer. I usually just point and shoot and don't think much about settings, lighting, framing, etc. I'm like, "ooh, that looks cool." *point, click*.
I'm usually the same way. Just point, shoot, and move on.

Great trip report! I really enjoyed it. This is one place that I want to go. I was planning on going this month to Allsop but I'm not going to be able to make it. Hopefully this fall or next spring. But I was just wondering how many streams you had to cross and how difficult it was this time of the year? Did you only have to wade across the one section that was in your pictures or more? Thanks, I appreciate your response.

Last edited:
Thanks @Rockroller. Nick is right. You don't need to cross at all to get to Allsop Lake. We crossed because we wanted to camp on the west side of the river and set up our 2-day base camp there. Even so, the crossing wasn't too bad where we crossed. It was pretty swift but no deeper than our knees where we crossed. And it was a little chilly and slick since we took off our boots. We used our trekking poles to balance as we crossed. (Note - We looked for a fallen tree to walk across but we didn't find any).

A few more pics that Lane took that I didn't have at the time I wrote the trip report...

Somewhere near our first camp.
18681720330_3c80857e32_o.jpg

A better shot of the goat packers.
18683252649_4071afe304_o.jpg

The falls.
18864229302_fb411622e5_o.jpg

The river crossing. Brr!
18872179821_af0e8e1222_o.jpg

A cool close up of Beulah.
18869402605_8f5c98b384_o.jpg

Summit shot on Cathedral!
18248780523_13beda0048_o.jpg

Some glissading.
18246850394_e0675d4f25_o.jpg

Thanks Mike K and Nick. I appreciate the information. I like the additional photos also. It looks like you had a great trip. I can't wait to go there.

@Vegan.Hiker and @JoshuaDyal

Yeah, I think that was the website the guy told me to visit. It looks like it'd be fun to try sometime. I've heard mixed reports about them. Maybe we need to create a new thread and see what people have to say about goat packing. (I don't care about this trip report getting side-tracked though). =)

This was on the back of the dumpster at Highline Trailhead. Just sayin'. :D
REle9Svu3AIeDhDaK_rNM9Vj2lARcApKzURRdVv_JhbC=w979-h734-no

My wife gave me a GoPro in April. I have mixed feelings about it. It's awesome and fun and I can get a lot of footage. But, then I'm too lazy to do anything with all of it!

Here's my first attempt at putting some shots together. I used the free GoPro Studio software. It took on a life of it's own and turned out to be a "teaser"...perhaps to a longer and richer video edit that may come at some point. :D It's pretty rough but I was getting burned out on trying to make it any better. I hope the music is legal to use. The song was listed under Youtube's ad-supported stuff. Sorry if you get ads, but I liked the song! :thumbsup:

Lastly, I have a much greater appreciation for all of you that take great pictures, capture sweet footage, put together great galleries, write inspiring trip reports, and create great videos. A talented bunch here for sure.