Twin Crater Lakes - 0707-0708

Shirt357

This weekend was my second challenge since my calf rehabilitation started 2 months ago and it would be my longest trip to date. I headed northwest to the Rawah Wilderness. Home to glacier-carved lakes, rushing water, bear, moose, bighorn and many other sites, sounds and wonders. For this trip I almost 8 miles in and taking a trail that would push me with an elevation gain of over 3000 feet. Overall it was a wonderful weekend and my calf held up well... though 8 weeks of limited leg workouts definitely showed. Then there is that fact of leaving behind the sunscreen and bugspray... argh.

My wildlife viewing started immediately... as in before I ever parked at the trailhead. I was going down a bumpy 6 mile dirt road and came around a corner to see a young male moose. I pulled to a stop and we eye-balled each other. I swear he contemplated taking my Jeep on for a minute, which for me was not a great option. He may of been a young male but he easily still weighed over 1000 lbs :) Thankfully he headed off and I meandered on to the trailhead parking. I headed up the valley and almost immediately started gaining elevation and felt my legs reminding me I have not been working them out lately. However, even with the few stops to chat with other backpackers (and actually using that as an excuse to rest) I still managed to arrive at my overnight destination in just under 4 hours. There were a couple others there but thankfully the distance and challenge of this hike meant anyone carrying a backpack up there was likely a dedicated backpacker and thus we all had our own spots for peace if wanted yet close enough if I wanted to go chat a bit. I had hardly began to setup my tent when a small group of bighorn sheep meandered within 20 feet of where I sat.

Actually I saw quite a bit of wildlife this weekend though sadly (or maybe thankfully) I did not see another moose. Next time I mean to take the loop to see some of the other lakes and I am sure I will see moose then.

After my nap I opted to go exploring and climbing some. While it did not rain while I was there, I did have to make a very quick decent due to some rumbling above me. Since I could not see what was behind the summit I was taking no chances and set a record getting down the slope to find anything around the lake taller than me (not that hard to do really either).

Thankfully the storm went around and I had a nice evening which was not overly cool or windy and woke to a great sunrise where I had a very healthy breakfast of pop-tarts (a delicacy I reserve solely for backpacking trips) and coffee, cleared camp, and headed for home.

Enjoy the photos!

Crossing on over...
N3yXeVQ.jpg

High quality bridge...
QDx5uRl.jpg

Smaller of the two lakes... decent mirror image
FRGVhjn.jpg

Outflow from the Twin Crater Lakes
LltkIae.jpg

Wildflowers everywhere... I posted more in the Wildflowers thread
aXzgRan.jpg

9SoHMCf.jpg

yrspkkY.jpg

kYM4gdv.jpg

One of several snow-fed streams coming down the mountainside. Was the best tasting icy-cold water!
F2Wws2W.jpg

NHfaM1f.jpg

l2IFYtC.jpg

yWGfEpf.jpg

85obQ4L.jpg

M1iIhjm.jpg

eeQlVd5.jpg

I do not take selfies very frequently.... but well... why not....
Nt5d9tc.jpg

Believe it or not, there are bighorn in this shot up on the mountainside (I sooo need to go ahead and get a camera)
cP7Mkpo.jpg

Great report! Love the selfie!
Glad your Jeep did not get attacked by the moose. :twothumbs:

One selfie per trip is always justified and appropriate in my book. Beautiful looking area! Thanks for sharing.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman The Avenues Twin Peaks - March 30, 2024 Hiking & Camping 17
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
scatman Avenues Twin Peaks - December 31, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks - July 14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
bdunn02 Stough Creek Basin via Twin Lakes Backpacking 7
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks, Robinson's Variation - September 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 14
Dave John Sam's Mesa Box/NOLS Exit/Twin Corral Loop-Rest of Story Backpacking 16
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
LarryBoy Invite Evening Hike - Aves Twin Peaks (March 28 @ 6PM) Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Ross Partners for Twin Lakes, Sawtooths+Titcomb & Cirque of the Towers, Winds Trip Planning 8
balzaccom Desolation Wilderness: Grouse, Hemlock, Smith, Twin and Island Lakes Backpacking 2
Ugly Twin Lakes, 8 girls Backpacking 4
Illuminations2k Uintas - Twin Lakes and the Notch - July 27-28, 2015 Backpacking 3
JohnP Twin Peaks via Broads Fork Hiking & Camping 15
Udink Twin Alcoves Hiking & Camping 3
Joey Sams Mesa/Twin Corral Box Canyons Loop from Burr Point Backpacking 11
natylka Twin Peaks-June 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
Nick Twin Lakes Trip Planning 0
MtnMatt Twin Lakes pass Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Crater Lake and Lone Eagle Peak Backpacking 1
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 35
Miya Umpqua NF, Crater Lake, and 'A Whole New World' Hiking & Camping 15
Outdoors24 Two day in Crater Lake National Park Hiking & Camping 4
Mullet Crater lake uintas TR? Questions, Suggestions & Support 3
Tater Head Crater Lake/Jedediah Smith State Park Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Maroon Bells & Crater Lake Hiking & Camping 9
Seldom Seen Anderson Guacamole Trail and Crater Hill Hiking & Camping 7
B Beartooth Lakes Info Trip Planning 1
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
John Goering Boulder Lakes, Tobacco Root Mountains Off Road 0
2eez4life Four lakes or Naturalist Trip Planning 5
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
westy Invite Also, Alpine Lakes Wilderness Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
futurafree Beartooth Lakes and Passes Trip Planning 2
Bob USFS cabin green River Lakes, WY Trip Planning 0
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
Parma Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes Backpacking 13
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades NP : Dee Dee Lakes & the Mcallister Ledge Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
Mountain Wanderer Cedar Lakes Loop in Montana's Cabinet Mountains Wilderness Backpacking 4
SteveR Headwall Lakes, Alberta Hiking & Camping 6
andyjaggy Deep Creek Lakes and Windriver Peak Trip Planning 6
norwegianxplorer Rae Lakes Loop, SEKI, June 2020 Backpacking 6