Trip to the Maze,mid-May

AdamE

Hi all:
I'm AdamE from New York and just joined the forum. I found you guys reading ibenick's great trip log and photos about a Maze trip and have been in touch with Philippe. Turns out, I'm planning 4 nights in the Maze in mid May, via jetboat. We canoed Stillwater last September and made it as far up as the Dollhouse and now I want to get to the Maze itself. I have a permit for 5 folks, and at most have 3 participants so am looking for 2 more. Plans are to climb up from Spanish Bottom, through the Dollhouse and then over to Chimney Rock area to set up a base camp for 3 nights, getting water down in Pictograph Fork (assuming there is any this year). Day 2 is the loop down in the Maze and Harvest Scene via Pete's Mesa trail; Day 3 is Shot Canyon-Water Canyon loop; Day 4 is back to Dollhouse and Beehive Arch, Confluence trail, camping either around Beehive Arch or maybe even in Surprise Valley and last day is down to Spanish Bottom and pickup. Any advice or interested participants would be appreciated. Cheers. Adam

One question. That base camp you speak of, are you planning on spending it up on the mesa in the Land of Standing Rocks? Water is going to be a major issue. There may well be water in Pictograph Fork, but it would be a long hike to get to any of it. Is that what you were planning or am I confused?

Yes, I was thinking of setting up camp on the mesa NW of Chimney Rock right before the canyon going down to Pictograph Fork. The Rangers and folks at Tex's suggested that there's usually water down at the bottom of the side canyon going down to Pictograph Fork, about 45 minutes from Chimney Rock. We'd call Hans Flat a day or two before to get an update on water sources. I'm thinking about bring up 2 gallons per person from the start and then get water down in Pictograph the first evening or down in the confulence of the Maze, near Harvest Scene, the second day, and then in Water Canyon on the day after. Is that an unrealistic plan?

It all depends on getting work off for me, but I am extremely interested in this one. I would really love to spend a chunk of time like that in the Maze District. Loving the jet boat idea and loving getting forum members in on your permit! Do you have exact dates yet? Solar eclipse on May 20th would be sweet to catch down there.

Yes, I was thinking of setting up camp on the mesa NW of Chimney Rock right before the canyon going down to Pictograph Fork. The Rangers and folks at Tex's suggested that there's usually water down at the bottom of the side canyon going down to Pictograph Fork, about 45 minutes from Chimney Rock. We'd call Hans Flat a day or two before to get an update on water sources. I'm thinking about bring up 2 gallons per person from the start and then get water down in Pictograph the first evening or down in the confulence of the Maze, near Harvest Scene, the second day, and then in Water Canyon on the day after. Is that an unrealistic plan?

When we were there last year at the end of April, there was no water that close to Chimney Rock. There was a bit a mile or so up canyon from The Harvest Scene but it wasn't flowing well at all, mostly just stagnant. The spring at Pictograph Fork confluence was flowing but it was weak. We had to dig out a little spot to filter out of. And last year was a wet, wet year. All of the canyons in The Maze had flashed just a few days earlier.

The other big issue with your plan is the idea of getting water out of those canyons and up to the mesa. It is not an easy task descending/ascending any of them. Exposure, scrambling and lots of up up up. Definitely not something I'd want to do wile lugging a large amount of water back up to the mesa.

I would highly recommend bagging the mesa camp plan and camp down in the canyons with water instead. It's a lot easier in my opinion to carry gear than it is to shuttle gallons of water up to the top. A good route would be to get into The Dollhouse and head out on the Confluence Overlook trail towards Water Canyon. Spend that first night in Water canyon or nearby where you can fill up. Spend the next day hiking from Water to Shot and up to Chimney Rock, then down to The Maze. Then camp down there near the water. After that, hike back up to the mesa and b-line back to The Dollhouse via the road or head on to the wherever you want to go next. You wouldn't ever have to carry any more than the water needed for day hiking that way.

Thanks, ibenick. Sounds like very wise advice. I was hoping to avoid carrying a backpack along the full route and that's why I've been considering the base camp for 3 nights on the mesa. But if hauling water up and down is such a hassle and isn't readliy available anyway, I think you're right. And the full backpack would only need a day's worth of water. So would it go like this -- first night Water Canyon, second and third nights camping at Pictograph confluence and fourth day back up to Chimney Rock and back to the Dollhouse area, to pick up cached water say at the start of the Confluence Trail? Then fourth night would have camp along the trail towards Beehive Arch or the other way past Campsite #3 or down in Surprise Valley, and next morning down to Spanish Bottom for Tex's pickup. I'm concerned about having to lug a lot of water out of the Maze on that fourth day on the way back, but I guess if we've cached at the Dollhouse near the start of the Confluence Overlook Trail, we wouldn't have to carry so much up and out. Does that seem workable to you?

BTW, I saw you had a posting a few months ago about Upper Muley Twist. We did that about 8 yrs ago, drove the 4WD road to Strike Valley Overlook (beginner's luck) and backpacked over to a great campsite right below Saddle Arch, and then did the loop the next day. It was mid May, but well below freezing at night. Great hike -- if you haven't done it yet, I'd recommend it.

Cheers, Adam

That sounds like a really good plan. Stashing water up near Surprise Valley for that last night also a really good idea. The only thing I would consider is where it would be best to spend the most time. Shot/Water is really amazing, I liked it more than the Picto fork area. Maybe take your time getting out of there that second day. The climb out of Shot will actually be much nicer later in the day when it is in the shade. From there, getting down into Picto Fork is pretty quick, maybe a couple of hours.

Thanks, great advice. Better/easier to climb out of Shot Canyon or out of Water Canyon?

And how hard is it getting into Surprise Valley? I climbed up to the Dollhouse from Spanish Bottom last fall and didn't see the trail off to Surprise Valley --guess I wasn't looking hard enough. I've read that there's a faint trail out of Surprise Valley on the south end going all the way down to the River, which would be a nice way down. Anyone know about that?

Is Surprise Valley considered part of the Doll House and off limits to at large camping?

I've only climbed out of Shot which was pretty easy. I've read that the route out of Water Canyon is much more difficult and exposed.

I didn't hike down into Surprise, just overlooked it, so not sure of the trail. I can't imagine they would include that into the Dollhouse area as far as camping goes. I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

Then Shot it will be. Don't need complications, especially with a full pack! And Surprise seems worth a try. Thanks, ibenick! AdamE

Very phenomenal and very gruelling! I'll be working up a trip report, sans photos, since Nate was the designated photographer and got some incredible shots. We followed your suggested itinerary, camping the first two nights under the alcove right above the Water Canyon seep, then up to Chimney Rock via Shot Canyon, across the Pete's Mesa trail and down into the Maze, great campsite under the Chocolate Drops at the foot of Pictograph Fork, and then up the next day to Pictograph Fork and out to Chimney Rock and the road to the Dollhouse, camping out on the Beehive Arch trail in the permitted zone. Final morning down to Spanish Bottom and Tex's pickup.

Backpacking into and out of the Maze was pretty tough, and I guess that's why more folks drive in and just day hike down there. But, nonetheless, it was quite incredible. I'm already thinking about the next expedition!Thanks for your great advice, Nick.

NateGeesaman & AdamE, how was the trip?

Fantastic trip! I would do it again in a heartbeat. All the campsites we were able to stay at were top shelf material and the hiking between them was extremely scenic and unique. It was a great route to get a good feel of a big chunk of the Area.

Tex's was a great way to go and made the trip that much better for me. It is hard to imagine a more scenic and unique boat ride. Great guys work there. Mike really knows his shit and was a great boat driver going up the river in super windy conditions, also on the way to and from the boat ramp he was a well spring of Moab area knowledge.

I hope you enjoy your time out there Nick!
TR to come soon.