Traversing the Beartooths: Does Direction Matter?

IlVagabondo

Hello all,

Some friends and I have set aside four nights to do the "Beaten Path" in August, and I was looking today at shuttle and hotel options. And then I realized that every time I have thought about this trip, and I think every report I have ever seen, has been from East Rosebud going west. Why is this?

I ask because, for reasons that are not worth explaining, our shuttle trip might work better if we do it the other way. Also, I am probably over-thinking the whole thing.

So, my basic question: Does no one go west to east on this trip, and if they don't, why don't they?

Also: We figure we can do it in two nights, which means we have two to wander around the plateau. Suggestions on where to go?

Thanks!
Paul

The trail is mostly downhill going from Chief Joseph to East Rosebud. From East Rosebud to Fossil Lake is pretty much all uphill.

Edit: double checked on a map and East Rosebud is about 1500 feet lower than Chief Joseph.

Last edited:
The trail is mostly downhill going from Chief Joseph to East Rosebud. From East Rosebud to Fossil Lake is pretty much all uphill.

Edit: double checked on a map and East Rosebud is about 1500 feet lower than Chief Joseph.
Thanks! So it would seem to be 1500 feet less elevation gain going from chief Joseph to East Rosebud. That might make a bit of a difference. I also wonder if there is any difference in the crowds and traffic based on which way you go.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
Mountain Wanderer First time in the Beartooths Backpacking 1
McKee80 Mt Dewey in the Beartooths Trip Planning 4
Yvonne first backpacking trip in the Beartooths, early August Trip Planning 13
hikeer Beartooths - Island Lake to the Beaten Path Backpacking 21
b.stark Beartooths 2008 "From The Vault" Backpacking 4
P Beartooths, Becker Lake Backpacking 11
H Yellowstone/Beartooths Mid-July - Lamar Valley or Bearthooths? Or something else? Trip Planning 6
P Questions about the Beaten Path in the Beartooths Trip Planning 12
westy Beartooths in August Meet Up (Members Only) 0
LarryBoy Beartooths - East/West Traverse (any/all advice welcome!) Trip Planning 15
climbhigh1119 Anybody been over the pass between Bowback and Sundance mountains in the Beartooths? Trip Planning 2
Aldaron Beartooths Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP How long does it take the dirt roads (S. UT) to dry out after snow? Trip Planning 16
Jackson What does "car camping" mean, in your opinion? General Discussion 33
RyanP Does knowing the geology of the CO Plateau give practical insight for trip planning? General Discussion 20
balzaccom Bear Canister...where does it go? Trip Planning 19
blueeyes What does this mean on a map? Trip Planning 9
seekinglost Recommendations for a company that does custom gear mods? Which fabrics/materials? Gear 11
Perry Middle Fork Blacks Fork Ridge Way Trail - Does It Exist? Hiking & Camping 5
Ben Does @Scatman need to go? General Discussion 55
Michael Pust Does anyone here know anything about the Bighorn Crags in ID? General Discussion 4