Tokina 11-16 f2.8 repair

Bill

Over a month ago I knocked over my tripod and my tokina 11-16 took a nose dive into a small patch of sand and gravel. The fall really didn't look that bad but it cracked the plastic, inserted a ton of sand inside the lens, and scratched the font element all to hell. 230 bucks for the repair and in two more weeks she'll be back home.

the lesson learned... use a lens hood.

Over a month ago I knocked over my tripod and my tokina 11-16 took a nose dive into a small patch of sand and gravel. The fall really didn't look that bad but it cracked the plastic, inserted a ton of sand inside the lens, and scratched the font element all to hell. 230 bucks for the repair and in two more weeks she'll be back home.

the lesson learned... use a lens hood.

Wow, $230? I would have thought they would be on par with Canon on that kind of thing. When I broke my 10-22 in half it was $85. Sent it in for a new front element and a full CLA, $85. That's their standard fee for that particular lens and I get the impression they don't like to deal with having to go back and forth with estimates as they make you agree to that amount before you even send it in.

PROBLEM
" The lens has scratch on the front element. The plastic was cracked. The focus seems bit soft "

WORK TO BE DONE
* Replace damaged parts and check/adjust all functions.
Note:Sand damage inside

Warranty on Work to Be Done:
6 Months

Parts:
G1, Front Lens Element $62.90
Filter Ring $8.00
Front Ring $2.40
Labor: $140

Shipping $15

TOTAL $228.30

NOTICES
Estimate is valid for 30 days. If estimate is not approved in 90 days, item will be returned unrepaired.

Not a bad price. I almost sent my 16-35mm lens to Canon last week after dropping it for a second time. But then I decided to just use my insurance and get a brand new one.

Not a bad price. I almost sent my 16-35mm lens to Canon last week after dropping it for a second time. But then I decided to just use my insurance and get a brand new one.

what did you do with the old one?

I always hated waiting for repair items to get back, but Canon usually took less then 2 weeks. My 100-400 had the IS go out after 7 years and it cost $318 to fix that. At least they cleaned it out too. My cousin went to put my CF card in my 50d the wrong way and pushed a bunch of pins into the camera..... at least it was the last day in Yellowstone. Canon fixed that for FREE.

Good to see you have your lens back... Plus I hear you might be my neighboor soon.