Tobacco Roots - Brownback/Pole Canyon Trail

JimmyW

As it was a little closer and somewhere I haven't tried, I took a 4-mile in and out from the upper Pole Canyon (Tr. 7157) trailhead. Thanks to John Goering for some tips! The trailhead starts at about 7,000' and makes a moderate descent for about 1.5 miles, before heading up for the next 2.5 miles. Then, it's another good downhill, and that's where I quit. There are a few switchbacks along the way. Much of the trail is in timber, which keeps it a little cooler, but offers few panoramic views. When I headed out yesterday around 9:30, it was in the high 40s.

The trailhead
DSC00011.jpg

The 5-mile road to the top is a little rough and bouncy, but nothing that requires a Jeep. You can start at the lower trailhead, which saves about 4 miles, but adds a climb of 3 miles and starts at 5,800'. The FS did a bunch of trail work here over the past two years, and I'm not sure that they got the trail signs corrected, or maybe I missed a marker. I took off on Tr. 7156 to venture out the Coalpit Trail, 7155. Although I was indeed on that trail, I never saw a marker other than the original 7156, which is well-marked along the way.
DSC00008.jpg

It should noted that the FS went to four-digit numbering a while back, for some reason. Below is a shot of what I think is Brownback Mt., 9,283' (left background)
DSC00005.jpg
Next is just a shot from one of the few places where one can get a good look at the country.
DSC00006.jpg

Last, is a shot out the windshield on the way down. There are very few places where two vehicles could drive alongside one another, and a few stretches where you don't want to get too close to he edge! I'm not sure that I'd go back again anytime soon, as there are so many places in the Tobacco Roots that truly are spectacular. Yet, it's nice to try places that are new.
DSC00012.jpg

If anyone's interested in a good map of the Tobacco Roots, Beartooth Publishing in Bozeman, MT, make a great one for about $12.00. 800-838-1058. It's plasticized and rather current.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JimmyW Day trip to Rock Creek Lake - Tobacco Roots Hiking & Camping 2
John Goering Boulder Lakes, Tobacco Root Mountains Off Road 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Meadow Creek Off Road 1
John Goering Albro Lake, Tobacco root Mountains Off Road 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains day hikes Hiking & Camping 3
John Goering Year's initial foray to the Tobacco Root Mountains Hiking & Camping 3
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains 2017 Hiking & Camping 10
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Willow Creek-Camp Creek Reservoir day hike Hiking & Camping 2
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains Wisconsin Creek day hike Hiking & Camping 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Willow Creek-Granite Lake Hiking & Camping 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Indian Creek day hike Hiking & Camping 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, annual 4th trip to North Meadow Creek Hiking & Camping 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Rock Creek Lake-Hells Hole Hiking & Camping 2
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains-Leggat Creek, Upper Mill Creek Hiking & Camping 1
John Goering South Boulder River (Tobacco Root Mountains) day hikes. Hiking & Camping 8
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Wisconsin Creek, Mud and Sunrise Lakes Hiking & Camping 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Fork Indian Creek-Thompson Reservoir Backpacking 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Lady of the Lake/North Meadow Creek Backpacking 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, North Willow Creek Backpacking 3
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains North Meadow Creek 2015 Hiking & Camping 5
John Goering North Fork Indian Creek, Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana Backpacking 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Willow Creek Hiking & Camping 1
John Goering Quartz Creek/Johnson Creek, Tobacco Root Mountains Backpacking 3
John Goering Tobacco Root recon run Off Road 7
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Indian Creek Backpacking 6
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Mason Lakes Hiking & Camping 3
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, the other side of North Meadow Creek Hiking & Camping 6
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Mill Creek Backpacking 4
John Goering Tobacco root Mountains, Wisconsin Creek Hiking & Camping 2
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains Noble Fork Backpacking 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Willys trip Off Road 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains Sailor, Globe, Brannan Lakes Backpacking 7
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains Curly Lake Backpacking 3
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains Lost Cabin Lake Backpacking 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Meadow Creek Hiking & Camping 5
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains Louise Lake trip Backpacking 6
John Goering Tobacco Root (North Meadow Creek) trip Backpacking 8