To Do in 2020

First time contributing. Like above, hopefully I don't jinx myself.

Just a day hiker in Indiana at this point but my hope is to expand that a bit...

1. Borrow some gear and try an overnight at a local state park. To see if I am suited to it.

2. Long weekend to Hocking hills in Ohio.

3. Local fishing at least 2x a month over summer.

4. Visit 2-3 state parks I've never been to.

But step one is to be allowed out of the house!

Peace

-Dave

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

First time contributing. Like above, hopefully I don't jinx myself.

Just a day hiker in Indiana at this point but my hope is to expand that a bit...

1. Borrow some gear and try an overnight at a local state park. To see if I am suited to it.

2. Long weekend to Hocking hills in Ohio.

3. Local fishing at least 2x a month over summer.

4. Visit 2-3 state parks I've never been to.

But step one is to be allowed out of the house!

Peace

-Dave

Welcome to BCP! I was born and raised in Indiana. In what state park are you thinking of doing your overnighter?

Probably Shades. It's closest to our town, and (at least 15 yrs ago when we would car camp all the time) not too busy. They have a backpack trail, so the thought is to go out, camp, and back. Make it as easy as possible so I don't talk myself out of it.

Peace,

-Dave

The year is winding down and I won't be making it on my usual Thanksgiving and New Years trips, so I came to look at how I ended up. This sarcastic comment sure bit me in the ass...

For 2020, I'd really like to work more and go on less trips.

As for how I really did, it was bad. Really, really bad. Even with my relatively vague to-do list.

1. Spend more time with Saguaros NOPE
  2. Spend some time in New Mexico NOPE
  3. Use my packraft for what it was intended NOPE - And I sold it!
  4. Go on a couple rafting trips YES! Only two, but that's a couple!
  5. Camp every month NOPE
  6. 50+ nights NOPE

If you count my sarcastic comment, I guess I got two things on my list done? :cry:

4-6 night trip in the SE in March (3 nights Linville Gorge)
4-6 night trip in the SE in May (5 nights in Smokies)
Kids and synchronous fireflies in the Smokies first week of June (no)
WV trip with brother in law and kids, somewhere different from Dolly Sods - middle of June (just me and kids to Big South Fork)
Dry Tortugas camping for 3 nights in early July (going to be hot) (yes, definitely going to go back in the future)
Back to SEKI in late July/early Aug for 7 or 8 nights (yes)

Family and I just went skiing (Keystone CO) for the first time and discovered that I am not as athletic/coordinated as I thought. I hope to get some practice in here in the midwest so I can ski with my kids next winter. (made it to the local hill a couple times and got a heavily discounted season pass for this year)

At least one bikepacking trip this year. (sort of did this one)

General goals: dayhike once a week, 35 bag nights, hike at least 500 miles (never kept track before) (not every week, but most, stopped keeping track in the 300's, probably going to end with 33 nights)

Heading to FL in the middle of December where my wife and kids are going to isolate with her parents and I'm going to isolate with a 6 night solo kayak trip in the Everglades. All in all, a pretty good year for the outdoors, especially considering the Rona :)

I pretty much only did one thing on my list. My annual Boulder Mountain/Capitol Reef trip, so at least I kept up the tradition. My move was somewhat unexpected, so I got some good unanticipated dayhikes in because of that at least.

I'm really feeling the lack of good trips this year. I'm already making plans for next year to prevent against similar apathy, and I'll just go solo with my dog every time in places within a few hours of home if I have to.

I'm already making plans for next year to prevent against similar apathy, and I'll just go solo with my dog every time in places within a few hours of home if I have to.

Lucky for you @Jackson, there's about a million & one places for you to go!

No need to report on the 2020 failings due to pandemic but I have a shi* ton of plans for 2021 assuming the vaccine is distributed to us plebes before May/June. I told my boss the other day that if the pandemic situation improves as we all hope, he won't see much of me next summer/fall.

Lucky for you @Jackson, there's about a million & one places for you to go!

No need to report on the 2020 failings due to pandemic but I have a shi* ton of plans for 2021 assuming the vaccine is distributed to us plebes before May/June. I told my boss the other day that if the pandemic situation improves as we all hope, he won't see much of me next summer/fall.
For real. I'm drooling over all the options when I peruse the maps.

My update

Since hurting myself I'm going to keep the goals pretty modest again.

1. Hike at least 100 miles. - Nope, but still hopefully

2. At least 5 tent/casita nights. - Almost. We had 4

3. At least 7 snowshoeing/winter hiking trips - Still need a few, so hopefully we get some snow

I also hope to work up my nerve to get back on the mountain bike and road bike. I did a couple short road rides and one super easy mountain bike ride last year after getting approval from the doctor. I would like to get at least 3-5 mountain bike rides in and 250 miles on the road bike. - This didn't even remotely happen. I seem to be a bit scared of having another accident by either crashing my Mt. Bike or getting hit by a car on my road bike.

Trips

Spring trip to Escalante area or the Needles district. - Nope this is when they didn't want people leaving their county so we explored West Box Elder County which was actually pretty cool.

Short backpacking trip in the Uintas or camping in Yellowstone in August. - We did have a camping trip in Yellowstone.

Thanksgiving either at Zion or Moab area. - This is still up in the air, we are supposed to be at a timeshare in St. George.

If I can convince some family a Yurt snowshoe trip around Christmas. - Not going to happen, not even sure if the forest service is renting out the Yurts this year. I think the extended family is probably happy about this one. Not sure what is going on around Christmas.

My plans for the year are a bit different than last year. I definitely want to spend more time outdoors hiking, camping, skiing, kayaking

Spent part of the summer in Yellowstone and hike a ton again in the backcountry (yes, this did happen. I was in the park for 6 weeks)

hike 1,000 miles ( I actally am at mile 1547 right now, knee injury slowed me down the last 8 weeks, I still can barely hike)

ski and snowshoe a lot (that did happen)

camp at least 20-25 nights ( I camped about 49 nights)

do at least one backpacking trip (that did not happen as I had to cancel because of my knee injury)

visit Grand Teton NP ( I finally went)

visit and hike in the Beartooths and the Lee Metcalf Wilderness in Montana ( I went to both areaas and it won't be my last time)

get an inflatable kayak again ( yes, I bought one again!!!)

learn downhill skiing (Covid prevented that early this year)

spent Christmas and New Years in Greater Yellowstone again (I hope it will happen, for know I'm hoping I can go December 17)

overall, most of my goals happened. I have my fingers crossed that my last point, another Winter trip to Yellowstone, will happen and will not get canceled.

Now was thinking of retiring here in 2020. And last winter, I had all kind of options floating around in my head on what I would persue.

But all that became cancelled big-time because of the freaking virus. Am still working. Have worked all year with just having the weekends off to get out here locally. And all summer whenever I could, did get out hiking, biking, and birding. It was actually a very good birding year. So it wasn't all bad. Life is always wonderful.

But I will be leaving work this next March and retiring .... Probably March 19th, Covid or No Covid, and then to the wilds with Enjoying Life!

1. My daughter wants to learn to ski so maybe a couple of trips to Boone, NC this winter. nope
  2. My spring fall "man-cation" to Zion for backcountry scrambles. Hopefully kolob terrace is snow-less this year - sorry @Yvonne yep
  3. Hopefully enjoy a few short hikes in Stowe, Vt while visiting the in-laws late spring cancelled
  4. A couple of Canoe trips along the new river in May (one with family and one with old college buddies) cancelled
  5. A couple of weekend trips to Grandfather Mountain, Lost Cove, and Linville Gorge Areas yep
  6. RMNP in June cancelled
  7. Maybe another trip to Baxter SP in the fall cancelled

2 for 7 would be decent in baseball :)