Thorofare Trail

Jason Bradshaw

Hi I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice. I'm planning a solo trip into the Thorofare the first week of October. Starting from the Nine Mile Trailhead taking the Thorofare trail to the South Boundary trail, Two Ocean Plateau, Trail Creek, back to the Thorofare and on out. I plan 8 days at roughly 10 miles a day, possibly more miles and less days I consider myself a fairly experienced, ultralight backpacker but I've never backpacked in grizzly country. Is going solo a good idea? I like hiking/camping solo, leave no trace, keep a clean camp, hang food, etc. And plan to carry some spray. Any other tips, advice, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated!! Also suggestions on the best campsites or sites to see along the way!! From what I see it's a fairly level trip. Should I plan on more than 10 miles a day? How strict are they on sticking to your itinerary? What kinda weather/temperatures should I expect? Thanks in advance!!!

It's important to note that early October is near the beginning of when bears go into hyperphagia, so they'll be hungrier and more active trying to fill up before winter. You can certainly go alone, but you'll always need to maintain a good awareness of your surroundings. It'll be a beautiful time of year to be in the park. Be ready for cold and possible snow though.

As for those trails, I don't have advice since I've never been, but I know others on here have been through there.

It's important to note that early October is near the beginning of when bears go into hyperphagia, so they'll be hungrier and more active trying to fill up before winter. You can certainly go alone, but you'll always need to maintain a good awareness of your surroundings. It'll be a beautiful time of year to be in the park. Be ready for cold and possible snow though.

As for those trails, I don't have advice since I've never been, but I know others on here have been through there.
Thanks!! I have always planned this trip for August or September but I just have too much going on then. So I'm planning on October. I've thought of postponing it but I really don't wanna wait another year!! What kinda temps should I expect do you think??

I'll touch on the big stuff here and you can PM me with any specific questions that you have.

I did this trip with a friend 2 years ago in early October, except we went on through to the South Entrance. I posted a trip report on this a few months ago. Several others here have done portions or all of the trip you plan. It is an awesome trip that time of year. Ten miles a day is a fine pace, it will leave you plenty of time to explore a bit as you travel or once you reach camp. The trail was in great shape, the creek crossings were easy and crossing the Yellowstone and Thorofare were also easy with low water, which is typical that time of year. The only real climb is up Lynx Creek to Two Ocean Plateau.

The Park Service requires that you camp in the campsites you have signed up for and if the rangers catch you in other than the assigned campsite, you have a high chance of being ticketed, depending on the ranger and your excuse (in my experience). Usually that late in the season, there are few enforcement rangers about.

Going solo is fine as long as you know how to travel in grizzly country, and understand back country risk management. My wife bought me a SPOT so I can go solo without her stressing too much. I recommend bringing one or some other similar unit. With no disrespect to Jackson, the bears are entering their hyperphagic stage in the coming weeks as the berries ripen. They are no more or less aggressive during this time, just pay attention if you are traveling adjacent to berry patches and through the whitebark pine community in the high country.

Weather will likely be the greatest determinant of the trip's success. Expect lows around freezing and highs in mid-70s. When I was there 2 years ago, we enjoyed beautiful fall weather most of the time but also had a crazy thunderstorm (at night, of all times) with high winds and hail. It had snowed in the Park a few weeks earlier but most of that had melted off. We also had 1 night of solid rain. Last year I was blown off a trip on Madison Plateau/Pitchstone Plateau in early October due to heavy snow. Be ready for anything.

I'd recommend heading west to the South Entrance. Big Game Ridge and the upper Snake River valley are worth the trip. Hitchhiking in Yellowstone back to your vehicle is usually an easy venture, especially at that time of year. Also, have a backup plan or 2 in case the high country is closed by winter storms. There's a ton of lower elevation treks to take that will provide a great experience also.

Enjoy your trip, it's a great one.

I'll touch on the big stuff here and you can PM me with any specific questions that you have.

I did this trip with a friend 2 years ago in early October, except we went on through to the South Entrance. I posted a trip report on this a few months ago. Several others here have done portions or all of the trip you plan. It is an awesome trip that time of year. Ten miles a day is a fine pace, it will leave you plenty of time to explore a bit as you travel or once you reach camp. The trail was in great shape, the creek crossings were easy and crossing the Yellowstone and Thorofare were also easy with low water, which is typical that time of year. The only real climb is up Lynx Creek to Two Ocean Plateau.

The Park Service requires that you camp in the campsites you have signed up for and if the rangers catch you in other than the assigned campsite, you have a high chance of being ticketed, depending on the ranger and your excuse (in my experience). Usually that late in the season, there are few enforcement rangers about.

Going solo is fine as long as you know how to travel in grizzly country, and understand back country risk management. My wife bought me a SPOT so I can go solo without her stressing too much. I recommend bringing one or some other similar unit. With no disrespect to Jackson, the bears are entering their hyperphagic stage in the coming weeks as the berries ripen. They are no more or less aggressive during this time, just pay attention if you are traveling adjacent to berry patches and through the whitebark pine community in the high country.

Weather will likely be the greatest determinant of the trip's success. Expect lows around freezing and highs in mid-70s. When I was there 2 years ago, we enjoyed beautiful fall weather most of the time but also had a crazy thunderstorm (at night, of all times) with high winds and hail. It had snowed in the Park a few weeks earlier but most of that had melted off. We also had 1 night of solid rain. Last year I was blown off a trip on Madison Plateau/Pitchstone Plateau in early October due to heavy snow. Be ready for anything.

I'd recommend heading west to the South Entrance. Big Game Ridge and the upper Snake River valley are worth the trip. Hitchhiking in Yellowstone back to your vehicle is usually an easy venture, especially at that time of year. Also, have a backup plan or 2 in case the high country is closed by winter storms. There's a ton of lower elevation treks to take that will provide a great experience also.

Enjoy your trip, it's a great one.

Thanks for responding!! Any specifics on traveling in grizzly country?? Are there any specific campsites you recommend? Are any rangers at the patrol cabins that time of year? I've read some trip reports where they are and some where they aren't.

Start by reading Stephen Herrero's Bears Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance, if you haven't already. Read it ASAP. If you wait until right before your trip or while on the trail, you will not sleep well. It summarizes his over 30 years of scholarly research into the subject matter and goes into detail on many attacks.

The rangers are very hit or miss that time of the year. Plan on seeing a ranger or a couple of trail crew members while out there. I have the feeling that at that time of year, the folks at the back country desk contact any nearby rangers/trail crews in the back country about your itinerary so they can make contact with you at some point.

We stayed at 5E8, 5E1, 6D2, 6Y2 and 6M2 along your proposed route. They are all fine campsites with great views. Park Point South (5E8) was exposed to high winds coming off the lake, though.

Start by reading Stephen Herrero's Bears Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance, if you haven't already. Read it ASAP. If you wait until right before your trip or while on the trail, you will not sleep well. It summarizes his over 30 years of scholarly research into the subject matter and goes into detail on many attacks.

The rangers are very hit or miss that time of the year. Plan on seeing a ranger or a couple of trail crew members while out there. I have the feeling that at that time of year, the folks at the back country desk contact any nearby rangers/trail crews in the back country about your itinerary so they can make contact with you at some point.

We stayed at 5E8, 5E1, 6D2, 6Y2 and 6M2 along your proposed route. They are all fine campsites with great views. Park Point South (5E8) was exposed to high winds coming off the lake, though.
I'll buy it right now!! Thank you very much!!!