Thorofare 2018

JeffG

I'm looking for people to join me on a trip in the Thorofare area next summer. I have put together a route that is roughly 106 miles. I plan to do it in 6-7 days. End of July or August sometime. All I need is for others to join me. Anyone interested?

This is pretty much my standard advice for people looking to connect with people here for big trips. Start with some small trip invites and post some trip reports here (old ones are fine!) so that people can get to know you a bit. Most people are a little weary of committing to a weeklong trip with someone they don't know much about. Just trip reports go a long way for letting people get to know how you roll.

Nick, that is a good idea. I'll post a couple of trip reports from the past couple years. Thanks.

Hey Jeff

I'd be interested. I was planning a few trips in the Yellowstone area next summer and wanted to do a Thorofare trip. I was considering going east to west from Iawoosha to the Thorofare to Two-Ocean, and then down the Snake to the South Entrance. Most people seem to start at the Lake and head south from there, but I'm leery of depending too much on permits, hence my suggestion to follow the South Boundary and stay on the NF side of things wherever possible. I'd be interested in other routes and options than just the one I was considering though too; I've noticed you're into packrafting, which is something I've never done, but also don't really have the equipment for, so if that's what you're looking for I probably cant tag along.

Thanks for reaching out!

Jeff, so you are thinking of going into the Thorofare next summer? You will love it!!! But I recommend at least a week for the trip. The reason is that it takes at least several days to get back into there and then several days coming out. And then you want several days back in there to see and enjoy. So personally I recommend at least a week to see and enjoy the whole area.

Now as for myself, was going to go back into the area again last summer. But with all the snowpack last winter, decided to go on back to Alaska again. It has been several years since have been back in there and sooooo need to get on back in there. Now with the lack of snow so far down low in the lower elevations ... it could be a good spring to go on back in there. So right now am planning to go on back in May and June, and then the high peaks back in there all summer. Spring and early summer back in there is Great! One can access the Thorofare at that time of year thru the Bridger teton NF with no problems. But of course there is always the mud, snow, and stuff to contend with. As for the bears, I personally trust them more then most people for they do NOT stab someone in the back.

Wishing You the Best!

Thanks for the replies/info. I will be doing a loop from the Turpin Meadows TH and not going into Yellowstone Park at all. My route will take in Wall Mountain, Younts Peak, Thorofare Creek and Two Ocean Pass. scoags, I'll send you a message with my contact info.

Jeff,

I horsepacked out of Turpin quite a bit as a boy and young man. That trail up the Southfork can get dusty and hot. Are you thinking Soda Fork, etc?

Have you considered Brooks Lake as a start or end point? Angle Trailhead at Togwotee Mountain Lodge? I live in Jackson and barring unforseen circumstance could shuttle one or two folks in my truck or maybe get a friend and have your vehicle waiting at out point.

Kmatjhwy might know that country better than anyone I know and I know some folks that spent serious time back there. She's a great and will help you with all kinds of great intel.

Whatever you do may the Trail rise up to meet you.

Younts & Thorofare 2008.jpg

I'd love to do the thorofare sometime, in fact have looked over some routes, but pushing that kind of mileage would be a pretty tough order for me. hope this trip comes together for you well.

Absarokanaut, I will look at the other trailheads you mentioned. I have never been in that area before. The closest I have been is a short packrafting day trip on Pacific Creek. That is very kind of you to offer a possible shuttle. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.

Jeff, now if you are going into this Thorofare Wilderness in late July or August, just to be mindful, there is soooo many options that one can take at this time of year. Consider that this greater wild area, the South Absaroka Wildland Area with everything between Moran in Grand Teton NP, to Cody, and from Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone Park to Near Kirwin is over 2,000,000 acres in size. I have been back in the back parts of here and it is still really really really wild. As you contemplate your trip, take in consider then go for whatever your heart desires and you will not be disappointed. Go For It! One thing I will say is this, give youself enough time to really really see the area so you will not be rushed.

Also as for Younts Peak and the very headwaters of the Yellowstone. It is really fabulous and wild. Most times personally that I have been here have seen grizzlies and onetime with near a dozen in one day.

Again Go For It and Wishing You the Best!

Last edited:
Kmatjhwy, thanks so much for the info. I've been wanting to explore the Thorofare area for a few years now.

Nick made a good suggestion that I post some trip reports so you guys could get to know me better. I just posted a report from a trip in the Southern Winds that I did with my son and one of his friends. I will get some others posted soon. Hopfully it is ok if I pull from my archives and post some trips that might be two or three years old.

No matter the time the mountains are timeless. Look forward to it. I don't have any 20 mile days in me anymore, so give some of us a good vicarious thrill.

Due to lack of interest I may not be doing this trip. Been hard for me to find people to backpack with lately and only one person has expressed interest in this trip. I've decided I'm going to get back into ultra's this year instead.

Due to lack of interest I may not be doing this trip. Been hard for me to find people to backpack with lately and only one person has expressed interest in this trip. I've decided I'm going to get back into ultra's this year instead.

Hi Jeff, It is not going to be easy to find people that will want to do 15 miles a day. Most backpackers on these forums stay around 7-10 miles a day on trail. Maybe people in Utah have less time to train, larger families and all. In Oregon everyone wanted higher mileage days. PM me if you are interested in more challenging backpacking trips.