This week- Kanab, Arizona strip

Titans

We have 6 full hiking days now in Kanab- Arizona strip.
Great weather forecast and a meteor shower Wednesday-Friday.
Do you have any additional suggestions? Anything we are missing?
These hikes on are on the list in no particular order :
1) Sidestep canyon/ white rocks
2) coyote butte south all day one day, camp same night along stateline, go to white pocket all day the second day
3) Yellow Rock off Cottonwood Rd (probably ok end of this dry week)
4) Indian Canyon hike, Coral Sand dunes
5) Edmaiers secret, off Buckskin Gulch TH

I attached the official road reports. The Office in Kanab was amazing. :)
(I will avoid going on a rant about the Big water office.)

Any other suggestions?
(We had an epic Wave day two years ago, we are not convinced we want to spend a morning doing the lottery).
Thanks!

62B42713-EE83-4F50-9EED-75A059BF5297.jpeg

3D0EECDA-A6A1-4B6A-9E2B-369DA913E8D6.jpeg

We have 6 full hiking days now in Kanab- Arizona strip.
Great weather forecast and a meteor shower Wednesday-Friday.
Do you have any additional suggestions? Anything we are missing?
These hikes on are on the list in no particular order :
1) Sidestep canyon/ white rocks
2) coyote butte south all day one day, camp same night along stateline, go to white pocket all day the second day
3) Yellow Rock off Cottonwood Rd (probably ok end of this dry week)
4) Indian Canyon hike, Coral Sand dunes
5) Edmaiers secret, off Buckskin Gulch TH

I attached the official road reports. The Office in Kanab was amazing. :)
(I will avoid going on a rant about the Big water office.)

Any other suggestions?
(We had an epic Wave day two years ago, we are not convinced we want to spend a morning doing the lottery).
Thanks!

View attachment 72599

View attachment 72600
No real additions to your list, T.

But could you post an updated picture of this list for us every day. It would be very helpful! :cool:

No real additions to your list, T.

But could you post an updated picture of this list for us every day. It would be very helpful! :cool:

He.... will do! Good we don’t have any other “first world problems’ to think about! After @Nick ’s TR (w/ Collin’s and @Dave ’s amazing river dinner), we did a 3 hr additional grocery trip to Page to pick up fresh veggies!!!!
I couldn’t handle the carb overload anymore we bought 3 lbs of asparagus, 2 cauliflower, 2 lbs of green beans, 2 fennel, loads of fresh peppers and avocados, fresh herbs and some protein ....we still had Moab brewery beer.
I’m thinking Sidestep Canyon tomorrow- we have some unfinished business up here, @regehr did a great TR from that area.
E41ADF0D-EF5A-4D8F-8050-A385C7512E95.jpeg

Bull Valley Gorge and Willis Creek? Not sure which direction you're approaching Kanab from, but if you're going thru on Hwy 12 that's a neat loop worth checking out. You'd have to keep moving at this time of year with limited daylight, but seems doable. Not sure of what shape BVG is in though; not tuned in to recent UT precip.

Was just at Coyote Butte South today and visited the North and South Teepees. Saw Mtn. Lion tracks, bobcat tracks, and a herd of 14 Bighorn on the east face of Top rock.

Was just at Coyote Butte South today and visited the North and South Teepees. Saw Mtn. Lion tracks, bobcat tracks, and a herd of 14 Bighorn on the east face of Top rock.

Awesome! You lucked out seeing the Bighorn sheep. Its mating season now.
We loved CBS so much last week, we are going back.
Mountain Lion tracks? Oh my. (We saw ML tracks on the way to the Wave two years ago. ) hope it’s not an issue camping in that area.
What else are you up to this week?
We hiked in fabulous weather in bryce this weekend.

Bull Valley Gorge and Willis Creek? Not sure which direction you're approaching Kanab from, but if you're going thru on Hwy 12 that's a neat loop worth checking out. You'd have to keep moving at this time of year with limited daylight, but seems doable. Not sure of what shape BVG is in though; not tuned in to recent UT precip.

We are already in Kanab, we drove down from Bryce this morning. We debated BVG and Willis creek, but we kept getting concerning reports and messages about very messy roads in that area. But it remains in our list for the future.

Awesome! You lucked out seeing the Bighorn sheep. Its mating season now.
We loved CBS so much last week, we are going back.
Mountain Lion tracks? Oh my. (We saw ML tracks on the way to the Wave two years ago. ) hope it’s not an issue camping in that area.
What else are you up to this week?
We hiked in fabulous weather in bryce this weekend.
Saw a couple rams butting heads and a bit later one ram trying to mount a ewe, but she wanted nothing to do with it.

Saw a couple rams butting heads and a bit later one ram trying to mount a ewe, but she wanted nothing to do with it.

Yah, the ewes were not interested in the rams in Waterton Canyon, west of Denver some weeks ago. Lots of bighorn activity right in front of me (posted pictures in the wildlife album).

Here is a new list for @Artemus , hanging in the Kanab office today. After a week of sun, it would appear that Cottonwood rd might be drying up. We will try part of that this weekend, coming in from the south.

We drove the entire House Rock Valley rd, it's cork dry yesterday and today, Dec 14/13. We really prefer going to White Pocket and Coyote Butte south, coming in from the south. When you arrive from the south, you can see the HRV road is extremely well maintained, more much gravely than further north. We saw totally dry, but deep ruts in the HRV road just a few miles south of Wirepass TH and just south of the state line.

image.jpeg

Here is a new list for @Artemus , hanging in the Kanab office today. After a week of sun, it would appear that Cottonwood rd might be drying up. We will try part of that this weekend, coming in from the south.

We drove the entire House Rock Valley rd, it's cork dry yesterday and today, Dec 14/13. We really prefer going to White Pocket and Coyote Butte south, coming in from the south. When you arrive from the south, you can see the HRV road is extremely well maintained, more much gravely than further north. We saw totally dry, but deep ruts in the HRV road just a few miles south of Wirepass TH and just south of the state line.

View attachment 72832
Thanks T! I wish, wish, wish I could use this data :)

BTW, why "Titans"?

Thanks T! I wish, wish, wish I could use this data :)

BTW, why "Titans"?

@Artemus - December is a great time to use that data and get outside. It was only 16F at White Pocket yesterday night and morning. That empties out the crowds for camping :cold:
I do think we are headed southbound on Monday.
“Titans”- from the Redwoods in Northern California (first trip report). Some years ago we located the secrete “Grove of Titans” in Jedediah Redwood SP. Some of the widest coastal redwoods in the world. Today their location has been Geo tagged and more and more people have figured out where they are. I like mature trees and The Grove of Titans reminds me of all those magnificent old trees in nature, that have been around for ages. We are so tiny and young, when compared to them.

That's a great 6 day list. I've done similar using Stateline CG as a base. Love Edmairs and Yellow Rock and all the hoodoos on the north side of 89. Looking forward to pictures!

That's a great 6 day list. I've done similar using Stateline CG as a base. Love Edmairs and Yellow Rock and all the hoodoos on the north side of 89. Looking forward to pictures!

Fantastic week & awesome weather. Stateline CG is very, very nice, we stopped on the way out from white Pocket, just to check it out. We ended up camping at white pocket in 16F, frosty! Just enough moon to light everything up at night! Will post some of Ricks star pictures later. Awesome meteor show Friday morning from2-3am. White pocket was surreal!
We made it up to Sidestep Canyon yesterday, we got partly down, but we didn’t get into the slot canyons. You really have to work at it to get fully down into Sidestep! But we also like the colorful Hoodoos along the rim just before Sidestep.
We didn’t make it to Yellow Rock, I forgot to prep for the cold river. Next time. We did walk into the narrows further up on Cottonwood rd.
Edmaiers is awesome too-( we bumped into a guy getting ready to hike naked down the wash- I posted a “hiking naked in Utah” discussion, as we didn’t expect it in Utah.

Awesome week!