Thinking Seriously About a Real Camera

Okay... I’m suffering from research overload. I’ve been following all of your great advice here on BCP. I’ve been reading reviews, how to choose a camera articles, watching videos to a saturation point. I need to make a decision. Here’s what I’m leaning towards...

Sony Cyber-shot RX10 IV

The reviews seem to be generally favorable or better. It checks several boxes for me...

All-in-one simplicity
Great zoom lens
Phase detection AF
4K 30fps video
Weather sealed
24 auto-focused fps

Downsides for me...

It’s a little heavier than I would like at 2.3 lbs.
Battery life is not overwhelming.
At $1700.00 it’s expensive.

I looked at DSLRs and with a couple of quality lenses to do somewhat like the RX10 can do the price goes up exponentially. I’m sure there are numerous situations where a full frame DSLR would out perform it. It would be nice but it seems like more than I want to bite off at this point. I’m also fearful I might become a “glass addict” :)

Anyone think I would be making a mistake with this camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Okay... I’m suffering from research overload. I’ve been following all of your great advice here on BCP. I’ve been reading reviews, how to choose a camera articles, watching videos to a saturation point. I need to make a decision. Here’s what I’m leaning towards...

Sony Cyber-shot RX10 IV

The reviews seem to be generally favorable or better. It checks several boxes for me...

All-in-one simplicity
Great zoom lens
Phase detection AF
4K 30fps video
Weather sealed
24 auto-focused fps

Downsides for me...

It’s a little heavier than I would like at 2.3 lbs.
Battery life is not overwhelming.
At $1700.00 it’s expensive.

I looked at DSLRs and with a couple of quality lenses to do somewhat like the RX10 can do the price goes up exponentially. I’m sure there are numerous situations where a full frame DSLR would out perform it. It would be nice but it seems like more than I want to bite off at this point. I’m also fearful I might become a “glass addict” :)

Anyone think I would be making a mistake with this camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as it shoots in RAW you are good to go. The camera you have with you is the best camera there is. If you don't end up liking it you can always sell it.

As long as it shoots in RAW you are good to go. The camera you have with you is the best camera there is. If you don't end up liking it you can always sell it.

It can shoot in RAW in all modes except fully automatic. I definitely want to explore using RAW format as I've seen how little you can do with JPEGs in post.

Are you really set on needing that much reach? If not you can still get 200mm with the earlier models and save some money, size, and weight, plus the lens is constant aperture. You could pick up a uses mk1 for under $400 and if it doesn't satisfy you could resell with little loss.

Are you really set on needing that much reach? If not you can still get 200mm with the earlier models and save some money, size, and weight, plus the lens is constant aperture. You could pick up a uses mk1 for under $400 and if it doesn't satisfy you could resell with little loss.

I thought about that. The PD auto focus is the main thing that is making me want the m-IV. Decision, decisions...

I've been shopping around. Has anyone had any experience with Cameta Camera? They have some pretty good package deals for the cost of the camera.

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about cameras, but what sold me on the a6000 vs. the Cybershot (don't know which model, but probably the one that was current last November) was the fact that the a6000 isn't much bigger (with the kit lens), has the ability to use different lenses if I ever get into that, and was about 1/3 the price -- I paid like $500 for the camera and 2 lenses on a Cyber Monday deal last year.

If you haven't handled one, I'd suggest checking it out in person -- with the kit lens, it fits in my jacket pocket easily.

Well I just pulled the trigger! http://www.cameta.com/Sony-Cyber-Shot-DSC-RX10-IV-4K-Wi-Fi-Digital-Camera-100030.cfm

I'm pretty sure most all of what's in the kit is probably of questionable quality but the 128GB SD card, extra battery, charger and backpack it should be worth the $90 over the cost of the camera. I got their last one. It'll take 5-7 days to get from NY to UT so I have a few days to absorb the sticker shock and get hyped up to try it out.

Nice. Having a camera has added a new element to my trips. Kinda fun, and helps me slow down a bit sometimes, too! I just need to learn to use the damn thing now ...

For some reason, threads about camera systems remind me of threads about religion. :)

Anyhow, I shot with Nikon SLRs and DSLRs for many years, and remain a real fan of Nikon glass ... I think it's absolutely the best. A few years ago, though, I realized that I was using my DSLR less and less, especially when hiking/backpacking -- my iPhone was taking better and better shots, and that made the Nikon gear feel heavier and more awkward than ever. So I sold most of my Nikon stuff and decided to go mirrorless, settling on the Olympus OM-D system. I've been extremely happy with that, and would recommend it (or something similar) to almost any backpacker. Image quality is excellent, there's a good variety of quality glass available, and the gear is both lightweight and weather/dust resistant.

There's still a place for DSLR gear in the backcountry, primarily for folks whose primary focus is taking National Geographic-style wildlife shots ... but for the vast majority of backcountry travelers, I think a quality, interchangeable-lens mirrorless system is easily the best bet.

This hits close to home--I've got lots of Nikon glass but I'm in need of a new system. Someday I'd like to have a full sensor system so I'm not ready to ditch my Nikon lenses just yet.

What do you like particularly about the Olympus OM-D system? Is there any benefit to someone switching over from Nikon? I've been looking at the Sony a6000--do you have any thoughts on Olympus vs Sony?