The Wave

natylka

I been applying online every month to win the wave permit with no luck. Does anyone know what month and what day of the week that I can walk in and have a good chance of getting the permit?

Good luck. We walked in last April for a chance to get 1 of the 10 they were giving out that day. They told us we were in luck! They're only 125 people applying that day.

That's one tough permit to get. You have a much better chance of winning the advance lottery if you're applying for winter months.

Best advice: give up on the Wave. The permit process has artificially inflated demand to ridiculous levels.

That's pretty sound advice. Especially if you're not a photographer who feels they MUST have that shot. As far as hiking and scenery for personal enjoyment goes, the other options down that way are as good or better.

So true! I was highly surprised and in awe of Buckskin Gulch from the same TH.

I have been able to score permits by going to the Visitors Center in Kanab, in the winter, on a Friday. The visitors center is closed on the weekend during the winter. They are giving away 3 days of permits at once. Saying this I do not know if they have instituted the new procedure (going 100% online) that they were thinking about, which would take the Friday advantage off the table. If you are not local or traveling through the area in the winter..........there are no secrets that I know of for the online, months in advance system. Edmaier's Secret is accessed half way out to The Wave trailhead and is pretty spectacular.

Good luck. We walked in last April for a chance to get 1 of the 10 they were giving out that day. They told us we were in luck! They're only 125 people applying that day.

We walked in there once to ask a question about road conditions to the north or something to that affect, can't remember for sure as it was around 10 years ago. The haggard woman behind the counter told us how many folks came in there every morning and that we would never get a permit to the Wave. LOL She was so shell shocked by the whole job that she didn't realize we had no intention of hanging around or trying to get a permit at all, and had asked a completely different question.

I know you didn't ask about this but right nearby is White Pocket, a ton of fun, very visual and no permits needed that I know of unless they have changed something lately. We did not see one other person in there and it is a big playground for your camera. We even cowboy camped there and not a soul.

Got my "rejected again" email Monday (4th try)....AND they keep my five bucks :facepalm:

"Lottery run date: February 1, 2016
Dear Rob
Unfortunately the dates and entries you chose did not become available to you in our lottery application process for a Coyote Buttes North permit. It is remotely possible the date and entries selected for your trip will be forfeited by the winners because of nonpayment or release. If that happens, the dates and entries will become publicly available via the calendar application process. As you were already made aware, your lottery application fee was non-refundable. It cannot be credited towards any other permit you might be eligible for through any other lottery or calendar application process, now or in the future, for this or any other area. However, your non-refundable fee will be used only for continued recreational enjoyment of the Paria Canyon and Coyote Buttes area, to the benefit of yourself and other visitors that will hopefully have the opportunity to visit some other time. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and the critical assistance your non-refundable fee provides. Thank you."

the most I can really say about Wave permits is godspeed. Like others have said, if you can't score one, there is Edmaier's Secret, Buckskin Gulch, and I would suggest finding Paw Hole over White Pocket. White Pocket has some nasty road while to my knowledge @chandlerwest made it there by parking at the camp spot or something like that (which he has a generic passenger car) If your car can handle 4WD roads that are pretty sandy, go for White Pockets, its a nice place.

We didn't drive to White Pocket either. We walked 10 miles cross country and found a ton of cool stuff doing it, photographed, camped and walked back the next day. No water there so you have to carry all you will need.

Got my "rejected again" email Monday (4th try)....AND they keep my five bucks :facepalm:

"Lottery run date: February 1, 2016
Dear Rob
Unfortunately the dates and entries you chose did not become available to you in our lottery application process for a Coyote Buttes North permit. It is remotely possible the date and entries selected for your trip will be forfeited by the winners because of nonpayment or release. If that happens, the dates and entries will become publicly available via the calendar application process. As you were already made aware, your lottery application fee was non-refundable. It cannot be credited towards any other permit you might be eligible for through any other lottery or calendar application process, now or in the future, for this or any other area. However, your non-refundable fee will be used only for continued recreational enjoyment of the Paria Canyon and Coyote Buttes area, to the benefit of yourself and other visitors that will hopefully have the opportunity to visit some other time. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and the critical assistance your non-refundable fee provides. Thank you."

I been applying for almost 2 years.I get the same rejection email as you.

Reactions: Rob
the most I can really say about Wave permits is godspeed. Like others have said, if you can't score one, there is Edmaier's Secret, Buckskin Gulch, and I would suggest finding Paw Hole over White Pocket. White Pocket has some nasty road while to my knowledge @chandlerwest made it there by parking at the camp spot or something like that (which he has a generic passenger car) If your car can handle 4WD roads that are pretty sandy, go for White Pockets, its a nice place.
Good to know. Maybe one of these days we will just show up and try in person.

Jeesh. I applied for the first time 3 years ago and got a permit. I was unable to go since I came down with the flu a few days before, but had I known how lucky I was to get a permit I would have muscled through and gone anyway. I've applied several times since and have not gotten one again. I have a buddy who I won't name here who just hiked in during the night without a permit because he wanted to shoot the milky way out there. Probably not an advisable solution.

2015-11-11 18.24.37.png Did the wave last November. Had put in 16 Times before we drew out. All I can say is good luck, it's tough. You'll have better luck to put in on the weekends and in the winter months.

Back in March of 2008 I went in to apply for the next days lottery and they had 2 permits for that day. Just lucky.