The Trail of 'Unshaven Legs'

Miya

Because I am able.
My first trip report! I tried finding some rules or guidelines, but it looks like exactly what it is called, so Imma give it a go.

We titled this adventure 'Unshaved Legs', because the moss on the trees reminded us of such. Actual trail name is Stevens Trail in Colfax, CA.

My friend and I had a nice day hike January 19, 2018. The trail was only a 9 mile out and back, but the last quarter of a mile you lose trail and just climb around on river rock. I knew my knee wouldn't be able to make it back, so we ended up back at the car at 8.5 miles.

Stevens Trail-2.jpg

I was so excited to test out my new Telephoto lens that I ended up forgetting my MACRO!!! I was pretty heartbroken, because so many opportunities ended up presenting themselves! I definitely am still getting the hang of the lens, so excuse my noisy photos.
Stevens Trail-5.jpg

Stevens Trail-3.jpg

I think the first mile took us an hour, we were stopping to take pictures every few steps. Once we realized how slow we were going, we made sure to pick up the pace!

Stevens Trail-7.jpg

A lovely little fall, which you end up having to cross at the bottom, which is right on the edge of the cliff/hillside. I was glad I had a friend with me, because I wasn't letting go of my new lens even if my life depended on it. So she helped get me across while I cradled my lens like a precious baby.

Stevens Trail-9.jpg

She always wanders off, I need to make her carry a bell. While I was setting up my tripod for the waterfall, she photo Bombed. :)
Stevens Trail-12.jpg

It was nice being above the fog line for awhile. Makes everything seem pretty magical.

Stevens Trail-11.jpg

I have a tendency to talk about the food for the entirety of a hike. So my friend's new daypack was a dream to stare at. All my favorite things! Cupcakes, French fries, donuts, and unicorns?! All freakin' delicious.

Stevens Trail-13.jpg

Our first sight of the water hidden underneath the fog.

Stevens Trail-18.jpg

Stevens Trail-14.jpg

Stevens Trail-21.jpg

At the 4.0 mile mark, we crossed a thin wet log across a tiny creek, at the urging of some stranger. Once we got across, he pointed out the 1000s and 1000s of ladybugs clustered all over the area! My friend and I probably wouldn't have realized that they were ladybugs as they blend in so well with the foliage. Now, I was truly kicking myself for not having my macro, but it was still wonderful to see.
Stevens Trail-26.jpg

Stevens Trail-27.jpg

Stevens Trail-31.jpg

Stevens Trail-28.jpg

On our way back, the river was much clearer.
Stevens Trail-23.jpg

We managed to get 10 feet into this cave without a headlamp, then it forked and we got scared. We plan to go back with our lights.

Stevens Trail-35.jpg

Didn't see this on the way in. Pretty target practice.

Stevens Trail-36.jpg

My friend's phone rang! I got irritated that she answered and was back there yammering away. But her mom was in the hospital, so we kicked up our pace even more for the last two miles. (Mom is okay now).

Stevens Trail-37.jpg

Attachments

• Stevens Trail-11.jpg
    Stevens Trail-11.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Stevens Trail-31.jpg
    Stevens Trail-31.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the blue-green color of the river. And the shot with the fog is awesome. Great first trip report! Looking forward to seeing more.

I love the blue-green color of the river. And the shot with the fog is awesome. Great first trip report! Looking forward to seeing more.
Me too!
I was so surprised to see the color! Most water over here is murky and dark unless I get up over 7500 ft, so this was a happy surprise!

Only thing you forgot was the location :)

I've never seen that many ladybugs clumped together like that, pretty neat

Only thing you forgot was the location :)

I've never seen that many ladybugs clumped together like that, pretty neat

You are so correct! It had been in my original plan to write it in, but I started off babbling at full speed!

Imma add it in! Thanks!

Yeah it was really horrendous, but I slipped and landed on a big cluster of them. I felt awful and had ladybug guts all over my butt and arm.

. . . . and unicorns?! All freakin' delicious.
I prefer mine with a nice Ceaser Salad. Though I'm sure it's still great with fries & donuts. ;)

Seriously though, great photos and great first TR.

I prefer mine with a nice Ceaser Salad. Though I'm sure it's still great with fries & donuts. ;)

Seriously though, great photos and great first TR.

That sounds like an excellent pairing.

Gosh, and here I was thinking that I am the only person that eats unicorn. I really have found the best group of people!

The key to unicorn is you can't trim the fat off before you cook it, otherwise it tends to dry out. Serve it medium rare with sauteed onions and leprechaun gold over a silver bed of pixie dust.

Sorry, all meat rare. Especially unicorn! That is how you keep the magic in.
Sounds like an expensive meal haha

Some nice pics! I've never seen so many ladybugs all swarmed up like that. Wow!

Yeah, it was such a site. I guess they hibernate there in the winter. There are several videos on Youtube even. But they covered the rocks, the grass, the bushes, it was great!