The story of a frustrated middle aged suburban wilderness lover!

Don't expect pain free! That's what Tylenol and Advil are for - alternate them if necessary...
Don't expect clean! That's part of the fun.
Train as much as you can ahead of time! We end up having lots of interesting conversations with people in our neighborhood when they want to know why we're wearing such big packs.
Have a great adventure! Have you heard the expression Type 2 Fun? That's what you can aim for. :)

Reactions: Bob
You posted a lot of similar stuff in 2021. Just do it or don’t.

I probably did. And you're right. A very simplified boiled down kind of right. I guess I start these threads to see if anyone else feels as I do...to have a dialogue. Maybe to possibly get help or advice or have someone getting me thinking a bit differently about something. Or a pep talk...motivation...

Don't expect pain free! That's what Tylenol and Advil are for - alternate them if necessary...
Don't expect clean! That's part of the fun.
Train as much as you can ahead of time! We end up having lots of interesting conversations with people in our neighborhood when they want to know why we're wearing such big packs.
Have a great adventure! Have you heard the expression Type 2 Fun? That's what you can aim for. :)

I don't mind feeling filthy all day but when I go to sleep I'd like to feel fresh if possible. When I do 4 day bite size trips in the northeast I can do that because I can bring a wash cloth and go down to the lake or creek and put on clean long polypropylene underwear pajamas!!!

I always clean up after setting up - get sunscreen and sweat off. Also have to deal with contacts which is extra effort but not *that* hard. Dude wipes at a minimum-usually dunk head in the nearest water source and wipe down if above 40 F. Real refreshing morning wake up.

I don't mind feeling filthy all day but when I go to sleep I'd like to feel fresh if possible. When I do 4 day bite size trips in the northeast I can do that because I can bring a wash cloth and go down to the lake or creek and put on clean long polypropylene underwear pajamas!!!
Bandana works like a wash cloth, dries quickly, is lightweight, and is useful for other things (wiping sweat off while hiking, cushioning a spot where your pack is rubbing, etc.) I highly recommend one or two.

I probably did. And you're right. A very simplified boiled down kind of right. I guess I start these threads to see if anyone else feels as I do...to have a dialogue. Maybe to possibly get help or advice or have someone getting me thinking a bit differently about something. Or a pep talk...motivation...
Eye candy is powerful motivation for me - hopefully that will be motivating for you, too. Mountains, rocks, flowers, trees, water, clouds, sunrise/set, stars...camping in the middle of all that for a week is thrilling!

Bob will be able to tell you what's necessary and what's not - should you choose to go with his group. (I think that was a possibility?) Plus, he's a bear whisperer.

I agree though...you'll never know until you try it. So give it a try. You'll find what works and what doesn't.

If you want a sample hike, before going on a multi-day, phantasmic adventure, I could do an overnight with you. You know, not too far, definitely not to fast, but to special, pretty places with rewards like coyotes howling and pretty scenery.

If you want a sample hike, before going on a multi-day, phantasmic adventure, I could do an overnight with you. You know, not too far, definitely not to fast, but to special, pretty places with rewards like coyotes howling and pretty scenery.

I have 2 weeks off next week. I'd fly somewhere if I could do many bite-sized trips (or something like 2 five day trips) with others for most of that time. I shied away from the Thorofare invitation. It IS what I want to eventually do, and do often, but I think I need to build up to that, getting packing under control, getting practice...and I'd prefer to do these longer bigger trips with more people, and after we have gotten to know each other a bit.

Have you considered a guided trip through a company such as REI or Wildland Trekking? They have trips available in your time frame, and this type of group might work well for you.

Have you considered a guided trip through a company such as REI or Wildland Trekking? They have trips available in your time frame, and this type of group might work well for you.
A good way to learn for sure. Hope you take advantage of it.

Was fortunate to find a Meetup group 10 years ago that kicked my hiking to a new level. Asked me to lead a trip to the Winds. Unfortunately it was 2020. COVID scared most people off. Then we got hit with the historic wind storm that destroyed all major western trailheads. I made Plan D. Forced our way in and had a great time!

The voyage to great backpacking experiences takes effort.

Last edited:

I can't pay that much money for a trip like that while owning all the gear for this and pretty much knowing what I am doing...just lacking confidence, needing to perfect packing and wanting companions. Do you know what I mean?

The sample offer is open. I could maybe do a couple, or even three. But I know me, and I don’t want to do longer hikes.

The sample offer is open. I could maybe do a couple, or even three. But I know me, and I don’t want to do longer hikes.

I greatly appreciate the offer, I need all the friends and companions I can get. If I am going to go out there I am going to come out there for 2 weeks. If I can't fill most of that time in, backpacking with others, I can't justify the cost in money and vacation.
Most trips I have done were 3 nights, but that's mostly due to not having the time. It's also because my pack seems to start getting significantly heavier beyond that. I'd like to do longer trips ASAP. You can't really explore a place like the Thorofare without more days, seems like it takes 2 days just to get in and 2 days to get out? I aspire to get my packing under control so that I could do 7 nights give or take.

You know what you want, and what you can do. I respect that. If you find some folks who do want to go to the Thorofare, or one of the longer hikes, I wish you the best!

Oh, and if you need a shuttle, let me know. I might be able to help. And, if you get here early or leave late, there’s always the option of a sample hike. :)

I have 2 weeks off next week. I'd fly somewhere if I could do many bite-sized trips (or something like 2 five day trips) with others for most of that time. I shied away from the Thorofare invitation. It IS what I want to eventually do, and do often, but I think I need to build up to that, getting packing under control, getting practice...and I'd prefer to do these longer bigger trips with more people, and after we have gotten to know each other a bit.
So, @forest dweller … what did you end up doing on your two weeks of vacation?