The Murdock Fire

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
The Murdock Fire is fast becoming relevant to those of us who enjoy the western Uintas, especially the upper Duchesne River environs.

_MG_7021-HDR.jpg

Lightning sparked the fire in late August in the Murdock Basin. The USFS opted to manage the fire, as it was in an area with tricky access, a lot of hazards and little in the way of human infrastructure.

The fire crept northward along the Duchesne River gorge. On Wednesday, Sept. 26 the USFS issued a closure order for a large area surrounding the fire, to include Four Lakes Basin, Mirror and and pretty much everything in between.

Then, on Saturday Sept. 29, a steady south wind stoked the fire. It made a run to the north, coming within a mile and a half of Blythe Lake and burning to near the west flank of Mt. Agassiz. In doing so, it crossed the Highline Trail around Scudder Lake.

I observed this run from a spot near Butterfly Lake. It was something to behold. Through the afternoon, the towering smoke plume rolled above Hayden Peak, blocking the view of Agassiz.

Earlier in the day, I'd been down around East Fork and Stillwater Fork. Both were thick with smoke.

_MG_0087.jpg
The Murdock Fire plume from East Fork Bear River, looking south.

_MG_0091.jpg
No duh, Smokey. You're not helping.

_MG_0089.jpg
Mt. Beulah, barely visible through the smoke.

_MG_0094.jpg
Seriously, knock it off. It's not funny.

My vantage point for the fire's run was just south of Butterfly Lake. The column was really something to behold.

_MG_6871.jpg
The Murdock Fire begins to climb out of the Duchesne River gorge.

The fire at that point was maybe 2-2.5 miles away. Flame fronts were visible and more incredibly, audible.

_MG_6907.jpg
The Murdock Fire smoke plume from the shore of Bud Lake.

Shooting from the shoreline was a bit disconcerting because I couldn't actually see the position of the flame front. I could tell the fire was east of me, but it was getting closer.

_MG_6957.jpg
Smoke from the Murdock Fire obscures Mt. Agassiz.

I retreated to a high spot with better visibility and easier access to my car, just in case. The flames were easily visible, then about 1.5 miles away.

_MG_0133.jpg

_MG_0118.jpg

_MG_0196.jpg

It would have been a great spot to view aerial attack, but the heavies weren't flying Murdock. Instead this Gulfstream 690C out of Montana was doing recon.

_MG_0154.jpg
N840G, registered to Bridger Aviation, flying the unfriendly skies.

The sun went down but the wind stayed up. Pretty eerie. People kept pulling off the highway and stopping to take pictures in near pitch-blackness with their iPhones.

_MG_7041.jpg
30 sec. exposure, ISO 800, ƒ/6.3

I was only seeing the west flank of the fire. I feared it had pushed hard to the east, possibly making a run toward Naturalist Basin. Thankfully, that proved not to be the case.

IMG_2359.jpg
The USFS map showing the extent of the Murdock Fire on the morning of Sept. 30, 2018.

The next morning, the smoke situation appeared much better from the East Fork Bear River area.

_MG_0310.jpg
Smoke clinging to A-1 and the surrounding environs.

Overnight, fire managers had ordered the closure of SR 150 from the Murdock Basin turnoff to Ruth Lake TH. I drove up with the intent of hiking Kletting, but UHP actually had their roadblock at Sulphur CG. Not a huge deal, better safe than sorry.

This fire appeared dramatic, but it seems to be an overall positive for the forest. That area (like much of the High Uintas) is choked with standing dead and beetle kill. Having hiked through that portion of the Highline just a few months ago, I can say it is badly in need to rejuvenation. I might feel differently if the fire grows to 30,000+ acres, but it's late in the season and tropical moisture is inbound. Time will tell.

Given the amount of fuel laying around, a burn is inevitable. Best to have it burn right before a hurricane moves through and wets everything down. Great photos and thanks for the report. The distinct smoke column is clearly visible from the Wasatch.

Saw this from Naturalist over Labor day, obviously it was just a couple small pillars of smoke almost a month ago. I also could see the much larger pillar of smoke when I was up on the wasatch back this weekend. The Duchesne like elsewhere has looked more gray and brown than green from all the beetlekill, so much fuel... It is perhaps fortuitous for this area to have it so late in the season and as @LarryBoy said to have a big chance of rain this week to soak it.

Your photos and coverage as always are excellent.

great pictures, thanks for sharing

Always hate to see these areas burn, but they will be much better for it in the end, even if it's not in my lifetime.

Reactions: Ben
Thanks for the great report @Dave.

This is what it looked like from near Evanston on Saturday evening. So disheartening.

98964002fe1411d1ffb85f2d2b01f784.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked like you were way close to it, but then I realized you were near your vehicle. Better not to end up like the two hunters who were caught by the Roosevelt Fire and are now in the SLC burn unit.

That video is amazing.

Last edited:
Your photos are jaw-dropping, as always. Thanks for sharing @Dave .

Tropical moisture from Rosa could bring new issues- I hope it doesn't result in flash floods and mudslides on the burn scars.

I didn't realize that this fire started in August. Thinking back to my early September trip to Rainbow Lake, I may have seen a bit of related smoke. Seeing what I thought was smoke contributed to my uneasiness, but I had already provided enough reasons (excuses) for bailing on the rest of the trip, so I didn't mention it in my original post. Here are a couple shots from my camp at Rainbow on the evening of September 4. Maybe I was just being paranoid? The clouds made it difficult to determine. At the time, I estimated the smoke to be in the Pine Island/Margo Lake area.20180904_153610.jpg20180904_153603.jpg

Thanks everyone for sharing your photos. Impressive to see it from so many perspectives/directions.

Mirror Lake Highway reopened today. The fire is transferring back to local management tomorrow. It sounds like managers expect the tropical storm to pretty much stop it in its tracks. Last acerage I saw was about 5,600.