The Mighty 5

slc_dan

Desert Rat-Weekend Warrior
I think this is well done. For the youtube generation that has a tiny attention span, I think it hits the points pretty well. Way to go Utahtourism. now go home.

Man they did an awesome job on that. Crazy to think they didn't even mention all the amazing stuff in between all those parks! I feel like you could almost just protect the whole bottom 3/4 of the state and call it Utah National Park.

Man they did an awesome job on that. Crazy to think they didn't even mention all the amazing stuff in between all those parks! I feel like you could almost just protect the whole bottom 3/4 of the state and call it Utah National Park.

However we get more protection for that area the better. I fear that we go to extremes too quickly. The amount of cow shit in GSENM sucks, but the fact you can't walk down a few canyon's in the Maze is stupid. Both sides seem a bit reactionary, hopefully we can find some balance. With Utah politicians though, the outlook on anything is grim. :(

just protect the whole bottom 3/4 of the state and call it Utah National Park.
No thank you! -as a resident and outdoorsman of southern Utah

That was largely in jest, pointing out the fact that people don't seem to realize that the national parks are just scratching the surface of what Utah has to offer. ;)

I'm perfectly happy leaving Arches, Bryce and much of Zion to the tourists if that means I can enjoy the other vistas in peace.

Governor Herbert officially launched the campaign yesterday. The state is spending $3.1 million to promote the parks in California, Washington, Oregon and Colorado. During the kick-off event he talked about taking a trip to Zions. All I could think was "how nice, he went to the bank." You'd think the governor of all people would know the proper names for the parks.

During the kick-off event he talked about taking a trip to Zions.

That's pretty bad coming from the Governor.

It's not as bad, but it also bugs me that because of the wrap the ad calls it Canyon Lands. Not as bad a Zions, but Canyonland and Canyon Lands both bug me as well.

And... I'll let the "5am sunrise" on Delicate Arch which is really sunset go due to artistic license. :)

BTW -- what trail is that in Zion with the steps?

- Jamal

I enjoy the confused looks that come when trying to explain to people that Canyonlands is actually four distinct districts, one of which is physically separated from the other three. The average Utahn seems to think of the entire south-eastern portion of the state as "Moab".

I enjoy the confused looks that come when trying to explain to people that Canyonlands is actually four distinct districts, one of which is physically separated from the other three. The average Utahn seems to think of the entire south-eastern portion of the state as "Moab".

yeah, anything with redrock, and national parks in utah is Moab. They can keep thinking that, I'll keep CR to myself. ;)

BTW -- what trail is that in Zion with the steps?

- Jamal

It looks like the Emerald Pool trail; where the Lower, Upper and which ever it is that joins over to Angels Landing come together.

Lets keep the rest of Utah unknown to the average tourist, they can have the 5(which even then they only see the paved road portions)

Unfortunately, the only way I'll get get to see those with my family is as an average tourist. Can't get the wife to don a backpack and venture into the backcountry. One of the reasons I've started getting a little more into photography is to help piqué her interest in backpacking.

To her credit, she watched the video above and loved it. If she can see all that via day hikes with the family I think I could get her to go. It'd be a step in the right direction at least.

Overuse and crowding is inevitable. An obvious statement I know. Areas outside of National Parks and Monuments, which were once spared the crowds, have been discovered (long ago on some). That is why we are continuously looking for out of the way spots in the San Rafael Reef, Cedar Mesa and it's environs, that are far from trailheads and signs, and it is getting harder and harder. Look at some of the posts for Coyote Gulch. While it is one of the most spectacular places I have ever been, I would not want to visit now unless it was in the off season. Call me old fashioned, but the experience is more than scenery, which is what advertising is all about. Slick visuals etc. When our son was young we visited all of the parks, stayed in a cool cabin at Bryce. But we also took him car camping in the Gulch, then backpacking.

Jimmy Olsen, you don't have to don a backpack to see these remote places, there are hundreds of spots on Cedar Mesa and Escalante alone that you can visit as an average tourist, solitude, rock art, ruins and spectacular vistas. I will be doing more car camping these days, i hope to see you, or maybe not see you out there.
Fight the MAN!