The Maze via Jet Boat

Nick

-
I edited the title of this thread to The Maze via Jet Boat as that is what it ended up being about. Read on...

----

Has anyone here actually driven out to The Maze Overlook or know what the road is like to it from the bottom of The Flint Trail? I've heard it's not great, but how does it compare to something like Teapot Canyon?

I day hiked up there from the bottom while the rest of my sissy friends spent the day looking at rock art.

I day hiked up there from the bottom while the rest of my sissy friends spent the day looking at rock art.

What a bunch of sissies.

I think I'm going to switch up my May Maze trip from just The Fins to a giant loop through the whole thing. Start from the Maze Overlook, up through Picto Fork, down Shot, through Water, past the Confluence Overlook, through The Dollhouse, through Ernies Country, into The Fins, up to the Land of Standing Rocks, walk the ridge to the Chocolate drops and then back up to the Maze Overlook. Seems like a decent loop for a sissy, doesn't it? ;)

I would worry about that huge gap in a water source between water canyon and the fins.
Thoughts?

Day 1
Board Jet Boat in Moab, 8am. Arrive at Spanish Bottom 10-11am. Hike up to The Dollhouse, over to Water Canyon, top off water reserves. Camp in Water Canyon or hike into Shot Canyon for the night.

Day 2
Hike from Shot/Water up to Chimney Rock and follow the ridge between Jasper and Pictograph Fork and then down into The Maze. Camp near the spring at Pictograph Fork Confluence.

Day 3
Hike out of Pictograph Fork via The Chocolate Drops ridge line and cross the Land of Standing Rocks near The Wall. Descend Sand Tank Canyon, camp near springs Clell's Spring at the bottom of Sand Tank.

Day 4
Wake early and hike out of Ernie's Country. Descend to Spanish Bottom and meet the shuttle boat by 11am for pickup.

OK that loop makes more sense when coming from Spanish bottom.

I was thinking you were going to try for Water Canyon to the confluence to the Fins :)

If the Maze Overlook is the same road as Brimhall Point, which I think it is, the road is pretty easy. I did it on my (street legal) dirt bike a few years ago and found a ranger out here in his Chevy, of course he had left his spare wheel on the trail a few miles back...

Trip Report

Well, forget The Maze Overlook. I will be entering the Maze next month via 2-3 hour jet boat ride down The Colorado River from Moab. Then 4 days later, they'll come pick us up and do it all again. I am so excited about it that I almost can't think straight.

I updated the map with my new possible route. I really wish there was another water source up in the Fins, especially in Sweet Alice Canyon. That's the only part of the route that might be pushing it with the time. One more day would be perfect.

I updated the map with my new possible route. I really wish there was another water source up in the Fins, especially in Sweet Alice Canyon. That's the only part of the route that might be pushing it with the time. One more day would be perfect.

I'm excited for you... several notes:

-- when I was there in 2009, there was a huge pothole with a lot of water at the bottom of main "Fins" Canyon. Sweet Alice was dry and had a lot of sand. It's kinda of a slog from there to the Dollhouse. Check out pictos west of the Dollhouse in this area.

-- read a recent report that Clell's Spring was dry. This seems odd to me, but I'd inquire with the park. Lou's Spring seems like it would always have water.

-- Can you get out of the canyon west of Tibbett? I've only read about exiting Sweet Alice to the east and Range Canyon to the west. I'm curious about this route.

-- Do you have beta on getting down from the Chocolate Drops? I didn't have time to explore when I was there, but I sized this up for curiosity. I didn't see an easy route (but I know it can be done.)

-- Sounds like you might be tight on time, but if possible you should go up/down to the Maze Overlook. It's an awesome trail and a great view up on top.

- Jamal

-- read a recent report that Clell's Spring was dry. This seems odd to me, but I'd inquire with the park. Lou's Spring seems like it would always have water.

That totally sucks if its true. Lou's is so far out of the way for this loop. Hell, Clell's is kind of out of the way. I know last year in spring, the white board in the Hans Flat office showed it as flowing. Definitely going to have to check.

-- Can you get out of the canyon west of Tibbett? I've only read about exiting Sweet Alice to the east and Range Canyon to the west. I'm curious about this route.

I'm totally unsure of the canyon west of Tibbett. I would call if west fork Sand Tank Canyon. I've read specifically that there is no way out of the main fork of Sand Tank but perhaps there is something over there. There was an obvious pull out on the road over there with what appeared to be a small trail heading out that way.

-- Do you have beta on getting down from the Chocolate Drops? I didn't have time to explore when I was there, but I sized this up for curiosity. I didn't see an easy route (but I know it can be done.)
The route down from the Chocolate Drops into Pictograph Fork is shown on older topo maps as a trail so I assume it is doable. We checked it out from below last time and it seemed okay but that can of course change once you actually get up there and start hiking it. Need to do more research on that as well.

-- Sounds like you might be tight on time, but if possible you should go up/down to the Maze Overlook. It's an awesome trail and a great view up on top.

That's what I hear. It's quite possible we'll cut out The Fins because of the logistical challenges of water and getting in/out in time. Perhaps do more exploring in Shot/Water and in The Maze canyons.

Maybe run it in reverse and then you could size up how much of the Fins you have time for. In other words exit at Upper Pictograph Canyon (or Chocolate Drops rim route then...

1) If you have plenty of time: head west to Mother and Child and go in at Range Canyon or explore for Sand Tank entrance.

2) If you have moderate time: enter Sweet Alice and head to the heart of the Fins. Do an out and back for water (if needed) then do the southern route back to Dollhouse. BTW -- I said this is a slog, but it is kinda cool; it just feels so OUT there with nice views over to the Needles/Beef Basin area.

3) If you are short on time: hit the road and go straight back to the Dollhouse skipping the fins. This is not the most fun route, but it will get you there fairly quickly.

Also -- if coming in from the boat you want to take an extra 2.5 gallon container of water with you and leave it at Spanish Bottom in case you decide to camp there the last night. This will be much easier than filtering the Colorado. You might also consider a water cache up at the Dollhouse just to have a little extra for the way back if you need it.

Another great source of water is... CAR CAMPERS! I know you can't plan/count on this, but car campers usually have plenty and are willing to give some to you (many even insist!) Just an extra liter will make hiking through the area so much more comfortable.

- Jamal

Great tips, Jamal!

I think we're not only going to bring the big jug of water but maybe a cooler with a case of beer in it so we can celebrate as we wait for the jetboat to arrive on the last day (and perhaps on the boat?). :)

So I'm debating now about which of the three sections of the Maze to cut out if we only covered two. I would really like to get into The Fins, so much so that I'm now thinking of heading there first. Just head out from The Dollhouse around the backside and go straight for Clell's spring. Then explore up into the canyons and try to find a route out onto the mesa up in The Land of Standing Rocks. From there, either head into the Picto Fork area or drop into Shot/Water. Thoughts?

Great tips, Jamal!
I think we're not only going to bring the big jug of water but maybe a cooler with a case of beer in it so we can celebrate as we wait for the jetboat to arrive on the last day (and perhaps on the boat?). :)

Man... I so wish our trips were is synch because that sounds like a good way to celebrate!

So I'm debating now about which of the three sections of the Maze to cut out if we only covered two.... Thoughts?

Yeah... it's so hard to get to that area I agree that you should give the Fins a try if you haven't been there. I liked it, but liked the heart of the Maze better. I'll be headed into Water/Shot Canyons for my first time next month.

I really wouldn't count on being able to get out of Sand Trap Canyon. I've never seen any mention of this in any guide book and the terrian in there really is quite vertical. This is a shot looking away from Tibbett Arch:

SandTrapCanyon.jpg

Whitmore Arch is cool if you do go the long way.

- JG

Thinking more about this route. Any thoughts on how easy it might be to get out of Range Canyon just to cut a little distance out of going all the way out to the Mother & Child?

Here is what I'm thinking...

Day 1
Hike from Spanish Bottom to Clell's Spring

Day 2
Hike from Clell's Spring up to Land of Standing Rocks, follow ridge to Chocolate Drops, descend to spring at Picto Fork confluence.

Day 3
Hike out of picto fork and down into Shot and/or Water Canyon

Day 4
Book it over to Spanish Bottom for boat pickup at 11am

I only fear that is packing too much in. So if I were to cut one thing out, what would it be.... I would like to see the Fins because I haven't been there. But out of Shot/Water and The Maze canyons, what would beckon the most exploring if we were to cut out a day elsewhere? And what route can set us up to be close enough to Spanish Bottom on the last day that we won't be pushing it to get there well ahead of the 11am pickup time?

Maybe something like this:

Day 1
Hike from Spanish Bottom to Clell's Spring

Day 2
Load up on water from Clell's, cache it at the bottom of Sand Tank and check that out. Hike back down, grab water cache, ascend to Land of Standing Rocks from Sweet Alice, camp up on the top that night or head down into a canyon if time allows.

Day 3
Hike into Shot/Water Canyons, explore. Load up on water in Shot Canyon and camp somewhere up on the confluence trail between there and The Dollhouse

Day 4
Book it over to the Dollhouse and then down to Spanish Bottom for boat pickup at 11am

It seems like doing The Maze canyons AND The Fins just might not be doable with the time we have...

Well, I got here from a Google search, so I figure I can skip searching web pages and just ask: @Nick how much did it cost for the boat shuttle to Spanish Bottom?

While the drive out to the Overlook wasn't horrible, I really don't want to take the time to do it again if I can help it.

Haha! :) $100 per person or $50 each way (if you only needed a one way ride for some reason). The only kicker is that they have to be going down there for boat shuttles too but that's usually the case in the good seasons. I drove out to the Doll House once and access via jet boat is the best way, IMO.