The Great Western Expedition of 2011, Pt.1...Fun with Fins

Ranger Joe

Feed the Rangers, not the wildlife!
The following trip report(s) were originally posted to the LOST Jeep Forum in September...I hope you enjoy them.

Greetings, fellow Liberteers and other Jeepers. I thought y'all might like to see a few images from our latest adventures in the wilds of Utah and Colorado. We drove almost 5000 miles total, from the Amish Frontier east of Cleveland to the boondocks of Utah in our lifted and armored '06 Liberty Sport. So, without further ado, here we go...

_D2C1617.jpg

Ok, so there's no Jeep in this image, but it was our first stop once we got to Moab. This is the North Window Arch at sunrise.

_D2C1676copy.jpg

Our first official offroading was on the Fins 'n' Things trail just to the east of Moab, in the Sand Flats Recreation Area.

_D2C1679copy.jpg

_D2C1690copy.jpg

_D2C1710copy.jpg

_D2C1725.jpg

We stopped about halfway through the trial for some lunch and had the place to ourselves. The only sound was that of a plane somewhere off in the distance.

_D2C1727.jpg

Suddenly, we found ourselves surrounded by a friendly tribe of Jeepers from the Red Rock 4-Wheelers. Hey, kids, let's play Find the Libby! (hint...it's the only one there.)

_D2C1732.jpg

We continued on, off into the land of slickrock.

_D2C1740.jpg

Somewhere along here we ran into an obstacle called Frenchy's Fin. The Charles Wells book on Moab trails said it was "doable"...all I know is, all we saw out our windshield was what looked like a solid near-vertical wall of sandstone. Mr. Wells was right...we did it. We had no choice, as there was no bypass. It initially freaked us out so bad that neither my wife nor I got any photos of it.

_D2C1741.jpg

_D2C1751.jpg

_D2C1758copy.jpg

After successfully surviving Fins 'n' Things, we headed for the Moab Brewery and a cold Dead Horse Ale. Mmmm, beer GOOD.

_D2C1823.jpg

I also bought myself a T-shirt.

Tomorrow, we head for Elephant Hill and the Devil's Garden campground...stay tuned!

View Part 2, Elephant Hill

Love Moab Brewery! I think we ate there at least twice in 3 days when I was there last! I picked my up a tshirt, a few glasses and a growler!

Sweet photos!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition, pt9...Epilogue Off Road 3
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition of 2011, pt8...snow days Off Road 1
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition of 2011, pt7...Poughkeepsie Gulch Off Road 1
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition of 2011, pt6...Black Bear Pass Off Road 2
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition of 2011, pt5...Hooray for Ouray Off Road 1
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition of 2011, pt4...We Go Navajo Off Road 1
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition of 2011, pt3...The Maze Off Road 7
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition of 2011, pt2...Elephant Hill Off Road 4
Bob Great Western Trail - Canada Resource Discussions 0
Cody Great Western Trail through Utah Backpacking 41
kwc Great Camp Santanoni Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Technology is great ........... General Discussion 0
Mountain Wanderer Hiking the Idaho Centennial Trail in the Great Burn Backpacking 0
J Great to be here! Heading to White Pocket next month... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
chandlerwest Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak Hiking & Camping 13
Shrubs Thanks for the great reports! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
misSOULa The Great Burn Wilderness: Heart Lake Backpacking 3
Perry Great Packraft Deal Gear 2
scatman Little Cataloochee Trail, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - June 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Lynn Camp Prong Lollipop Loop, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - May 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
Dreamer Summer 2012: trip 1: a short visit to a small corner of The Great Wasted Forest of Northern Colorado Backpacking 11
Perry Great Deal on Gregory Baltoro Gear 0
Perry Great Deal on Sunto MC2 Compass Gear 0
Wanderlust073 Dayhiking Great Sand Dunes NP Hiking & Camping 4
slc_dan Great Smokey Mountains NP Trip Planning 12
T Pumping the Great Basin on a Handcar General Discussion 14
wsp_scott Clingman's Dome (Great Smoky Mountains NP) Backpacking 0
Nick Desha & Great Bend On The Water 7
TrektheWorld Need to find one great Uintas hike Trip Planning 1
WasatchWill Memorial Day: Another great trip to Torrey Hiking & Camping 11
scatman The Anthony Creek, Russell Field Trails Loop - Great Smoky Mountain National Park, June 10, 2016 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Gold Mine Loop Trail / Noland Trail - Great Smoky Mountain National Park, June 7, 2016 Hiking & Camping 3
hatchcanyon The Great Traverse Off Road 9
danger02ward Very much enjoy and appreciate all of your great pictures, trip reports, and gear reviews! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
dfcooper Great Divide Trail Trip Planning 1
Red Rock Rangers Great Basin National Park Hiking & Camping 10
Vegan.Hiker Great Range Traverse Part 1 Backpacking 19
Dustin Gent great first trek in Utah? Trip Planning 16
Vegan.Hiker Great article about a fellow adventure seeker General Discussion 4
ogg Backpacking Ruby Mtns or Great Basin NP Trip Planning 9
Bob Winchester found in Great Basin NP General Discussion 0
steve Backpacking Great Basin NP Backpacking 18
LarryBoy Utah is great, isn't it? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Lisa Came for some trip beta, stayed for the great community... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
mattvogt7 A Great Weekend in July On The Water 10
Jeremy C The Great Bear Photographer General Discussion 5
steve Backpacking Great Basin National Park - June 2014 Backpacking 11
BJett Lower Big Creek - Great Smoky Mountains National Park On The Water 2
Dave Great Basin NP, Aug. 31- Sept. 2 2013 Backpacking 8
Christian Great Basin NP and Crystal Ball Cave, UT Hiking & Camping 16