Temporal variations of the same scene-Madison Range, MT

John Goering

I'm not sure a lot of the following photos actually have any photographic merit as every one was taken free hand usually following a dash to the upstairs deck after randomly looking out the front windows. Certainly a few different moods evident.

The Spanish Peaks, northern end of the Madison Range, Gallatin Valley and Bozeman suburbs in foreground. Tall peak on left is Gallatin Peak, with Blaze Mountain being the tallest to the right. Center peaks are un-named.

16635045682_32b0082181_b.jpg

16013714654_67ae8e30f9_b.jpg

16449898109_37709a416c_b.jpg

16449661089_51edf354a9_b.jpg

16635900325_60a5549573_b.jpg

16532771075_da95e1cf43_b.jpg

15209562683_244343f9c1_b.jpg

15209322423_807e70704d_b.jpg

14914111804_987b3ca2c1_b.jpg

15215668992_77719a8df8_b.jpg

14204429227_eae5a955c4_b.jpg

13894370923_79f7ebcca4_b.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Oh Montana, how you call to me with your great expanse of open beauty.

Often while sitting in traffic in the urban hell that is the Front-range of Colorado, my mind wanders to the Bob Marshall

Today most of my day trips involve parking along highways because the lot is full, waiting for families fully decked out in the newest Patagoina puffies, dodging mountain bikers and trail runners, and keeping my dogs leashed, even 20 miles in, although they have better trail manners then 50% of the people I run into.

I miss waking up and hiking with my dogs right off my doorstep. Finding campsites that look like they have never been used other then the fire ring. Meeting people after days alone and enjoying a small sip of whiskey over a conversation of trail conditions. Sometimes never seeing a soul until I stopped to get gas on the way out.

I often ponder why I chose the route I did through life. I remember in college, one of my best friends spent even more time then I did fly fishing. So much that he pretty much quit school. Oh how we gave him a hard time, so sure that he was flushing his future.

He often send me pics of his day at the office now. Usually, they are of a river or a trout, sometimes with a client in the background, sometimes just his sunburned, smiling face.

Just a few more years Heather and I often agree.

"As soon as the youngest starts college we are selling everything, buying a 4wd van and disappearing!"

Summers in Montana, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, fishing.
Winters in the South, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, fishing.

Maybe someday

Wonderful John! Makes me want to visit the valley. :) This would make a wonderful slide show or pseudo-timelapse.

Last edited:
Summers in Montana, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, fishing.
Winters in the South, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, fishing.

Maybe someday

Ah, the twists and turns of life. "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." JL had it right. I spent a couple years living in Ft Collins back in the early 70's while working for the FS. Way less people than now but still pretty busy in the backcounty even then. I got to see a lot of country in that job, all the way from Idaho Springs to WY and stayed in some really quaint places. I think I liked Glendevey the best. Following another position with the FS, I decided that where I wanted to actually live was more important than maximizing income and have never looked back. No complaints.

Following another position with the FS, I decided that where I wanted to actually live was more important than maximizing income and have never looked back. No complaints.
I agree with you most ardently. You spend much/most of your waking hours at your job but it sure is important for all those other hours to be somewhere you treasure.

What a view John! amazing!

Following another position with the FS, I decided that where I wanted to actually live was more important than maximizing income and have never looked back. No complaints.

I agree as well, but unfortunately it's not always possible to make that a reality. And I'm not talking about the issue of earning potential but rather family obigations. I would love to get out of my area and never look back but my wife and I both have recently widowed mothers and both would be absolutely crushed if we left. Not to mention, I don't know how much time I have left with my mom. My wife is half way through grad school and those credits she's worked so hard for don't transfer. She wanted to go back to school and make a career change and I have to support that. She's also very attached to this area since she grew up here and you can't uproot a loved one against their will. So while I agree that where you live is more important than maximizing income; being there for your loved ones trumps all.

I need to figure out a way to relocate the Rockies and the desert to New Jersey. Perhaps I should put that in the Suggestions forum.

My wife is also very attached to this area since she grew up here and you can't uproot a loved one against their will. So while I agree that where you live is more important than maximizing income; being there for your loved ones trumps all.
True. But just take her out west enough and soon enough it'll be her idea! ;)

I spent a few days up there last year and never even saw that view due to the constant snow and cloud cover. I feel like I missed a good view for sure! What a great caputre...as usual!

Back