Tarptent Notch LI

I do have to ask though, for those who have taken shelter under Cuben Fiber/Dyneema fabric, is there any kind of greenhouse warming effect with them if under direct sunlight? I ask because the material looks a bit transparent.

YES. I borrowed a HMG Ulta Mid for a trip through the Windies.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is a thing.

I do have to ask though, for those who have taken shelter under Cuben Fiber/Dyneema fabric, is there any kind of greenhouse warming effect with them if under direct sunlight? I ask because the material looks a bit transparent.

Can't speak to the greenhouse effect but when camping with @slc_dan and he and Nate using a Cuben Fiber tent it looked like a saran wrap structure and you could see them doing stuff inside. Stuff. Seems like it sounded a little loud too. The stuff is apparently VERY tough too. Much more than ripstop nylon.

Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned about the whole greenhouse effect - and for this reason: If I'm gonna be spending daylight inside my shelter, that means I'm gonna be spending a good bit of time in camp. In that case, I'll gladly carry a little extra weight to be comfortable in camp (say, a double-wall shelter). By contrast, if I'm putting down some bigger miles or hiking more and camping less, I don't really care about the greenhouse effect because I'm gonna be setting it up at dusk and tearing it down at dawn. YMMV though!

Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned about the whole greenhouse effect - and for this reason: If I'm gonna be spending daylight inside my shelter, that means I'm gonna be spending a good bit of time in camp. In that case, I'll gladly carry a little extra weight to be comfortable in camp (say, a double-wall shelter). By contrast, if I'm putting down some bigger miles or hiking more and camping less, I don't really care about the greenhouse effect because I'm gonna be setting it up at dusk and tearing it down at dawn. YMMV though!

I was just thinking in terms of those who may want to take a little siesta out in some desert/badland environment that lacked natural patches of shade. Although, I can't imagine many places where this would be much of an issue, except for maybe along the southern most sections of the PCT, but even then, many are carrying some reflective umbrella on them and are otherwise happy to have their Duplex/Solplex shelters and the like.

I was just thinking in terms of those who may want to take a little siesta out in some desert/badland environment that lacked natural patches of shade. Although, I can't imagine many places where this would be much of an issue, except for maybe along the southern most sections of the PCT, but even then, many are carrying some reflective umbrella on them and are otherwise happy to have their Duplex/Solplex shelters and the like.

You can always pitch a Mid different as well. Raise it up, unzip, etc.

I have the original Notch and love it. It's my go to solo shelter. Good protection, simple to pitch, and light enough. I think it's cool they finally designed a shelter with cuben. Henry has been saying forever that he wouldn't. Too expensive for my pockets though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk