Sunrise/sunset forecasts

piper01

I recently stumbled upon a website forecasting sunrise and sunset "vividness" (colorful, average, poor). Might be worth checking out if you're trying to photograph a colorful sunset at a particular location, though it looks like it only forecasts the next sunrise and sunset out, so not too useful for planning a trip several days in advance.

https://sunsetwx.com/

There's a better write-up of the science behind it here, but basically it's a model developed by meteorologists that accounts for the moisture content of high cloud cover to scatter sunlight, plus low clouds that block the sunlight from the surface.

It was accurate for my location yesterday (dull), but with a grey overcast day, that was expected. I'd be interested to see how accurate it is on days where it predicts a colorful sunset.

Thanks for sharing. Between this and the Photographer's Ephemeris, I can see this being really helpful.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Perry Sunrise/Sunset Uintas Marriage Proposal Location Suggestions Trip Planning 25
jdgibney Sunrise/Sunset Photography Suggestions For 10-12 day trip Photography 8
kansas good place to watch sunrise in the La Sal mountains Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Hiking the unique hoodoos landscape of EL TORCAL de Antequera in Spain at sunrise, May 2022 Hiking & Camping 0
NorthwestWanderer Chelan-Sawtooth Range : Sunrise to Cooney Lake Loop Backpacking 3
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Wisconsin Creek, Mud and Sunrise Lakes Hiking & Camping 1
IntrepidXJ Sunrise in Bryce and the Drive Home Hiking & Camping 7
IntrepidXJ Marlboro Point Sunrise Photography 9
Nick Mesa Arch Sunrise! Photography 5
K TR 5-6 An Attempt to find a beautiful pink-ish Sunset in SEKI Backpacking 5
Scott Chandler Funnel Arch and a Glorious Sunset Hiking & Camping 3
natylka Sunset Hike to Clayton Peak-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 3
natylka Sunset Devil's Castle Hike-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
natylka Sunset Thayne Peak-August 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
natylka Catherine's Pass to Sunset Peak Raining Day-August 2014 Hiking & Camping 5
Nick Catherine Pass, Sunset Peak & Brighton Lakes Hiking & Camping 7
Nick Sunset Peak Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Otto's Trail Sunset Hiking & Camping 2