Suggestion for 3 day backpacking loop NW in may

hbryanlopez

Hey guys, I wanted to get opinions on a 3 day backpacking loop for may before memorial holiday so around may 22. We had in mind.
3 sister loop Oregon
Mount hood Oregon
Yosemeti
Rim to rim Grand Canyon

I did some reading and heard the nw got plenty of snow this year. We were looking for summits as well thus 3 sister and mount hood but we have never hiked in snow. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to be the downer here but if you've never hiked in snow/used snowshoes, I probably wouldn't make your first attempt a 3-day trip. Looking at some SNOTEL data, the snow seems to be coming off quickly in the 3 Sisters area. Good luck with it!

Hey guys, I wanted to get opinions on a 3 day backpacking loop for may before memorial holiday so around may 22. We had in mind.
3 sister loop Oregon
Mount hood Oregon
Yosemeti
Rim to rim Grand Canyon

I did some reading and heard the nw got plenty of snow this year. We were looking for summits as well thus 3 sister and mount hood but we have never hiked in snow. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I always recommend bringing and knowing how to use the following gear When hiking in the mountains over snowy surfaces
- snowshoes
- avalanche beacon
- snow shovel for digging your comrades out in case they are buried in an avalanche.
- probe

Additionally I always bring a Satellite Pager. Mine links via Bluetooth to my phone. I mostly use it to transmit my current location at 10 minute intervals. Once in back-country I turn it in and leave it on.

Hiking and camping in snow is a lot of fun.

I'd plan on being over snow anywhere over 10000 feet in May in the NW.

If you attempt any summits in snow and the snow is well packed I recommend bringing crampons and an ice axe.

I think REI can rent you most of the equipment you need but call and check first. Many rental shops have already put away their winter equipment.

I also recommend getting some expert training on using the Avalanche rescue equipment I listed above as well as how to properly use an ice axe to self arrest.

The NW did get pummeled with snow this year. Call the ranger districts and they can give you really great advice for what you will need. They will also help you secure the right backcountry permits. I just called the Dinosaur National Monument today and was able to get all my back country reservations and permits over the phone.

Be careful. I know people who were backcountry winter experts who lost their lives in avalanches or to hypothermia. Some of them thought they were out of danger, let their guard down and paid with their lives.

That said, if you can get the equipment and training to use it then you can have a great time. I hope this helps

3 sister loop Oregon
Mount hood Oregon
Yosemeti
Rim to rim Grand Canyon

After doing some research and watching the snowpack I'm thinking the rim to rim on the Grand Canyon may be your best bet but the Colorado will probably have record levels this year.

I recommend you consider Zions National Park. Looks like the snow report says the place is now accessible. It's a beautiful place to hike. If you can go online to secure your backcountry permits for the West rim of the park.

The areas I'm most familiar with in California, Oregon and Washington are really snowed in still. Yosemite is posting flash flood watches so not even the lower elevations are safe there.

Due to all the snow we're now considering the Sierra Nevada area. My Whitney summit if the trail is open by then.

After doing some research and watching the snowpack I'm thinking the rim to rim on the Grand Canyon may be your best bet but the Colorado will probably have record levels this year.

Since the Colorado is dam controlled and Lake Powell has plenty of capacity, Colorado River flows below Glen Canyon won't set records. They will be high though because BOR is passing water to Mead.

Due to all the snow we're now considering the Sierra Nevada area. My Whitney summit if the trail is open by then.

More research may be in order. The sierra got close to record snow this winter and Whitney will probably still be a snow climb well into july.

Just as a general comment, if you don't have experience travelling in snow, I might suggest avoiding the mountains altogether in may, especially this year. Unless you're prepared to do a ton of research re snow safety and practice beforehand, and have a very clear idea of what to expect, it's simply unwise to head into the mountains of the West in May. On the other hand, the high desert is beautiful at this time of year.

Since the Colorado is dam controlled and Lake Powell has plenty of capacity, Colorado River flows below Glen Canyon won't set records. They will be high though because BOR is passing water to Mead.

Good point.

Time for something completely different.
The coastal hike in Olympic NP, Redwoods NP, North Rim of the Grand Canyon (snow permitting). Think outside the box, or snow.
Wayne

Time for something completely different.
The coastal hike in Olympic NP, Redwoods NP, North Rim of the Grand Canyon (snow permitting). Think outside the box, or snow.
Wayne

North Rim is a great suggestion. High desert has milder temps than the stuff down low which is really cooking. How about Bryce Canyon? The Under the Rim trail is prime this time of year.

I find May a bit hot for the Big Ditch, Colorado Plateau, etc.

Where are you coming from? Colorado's Sangre de Cristo Range rivals ANY in the Rockies and has some excellent early season options that can be snow free below 11,000'.

Sangres Tijeras 2.jpg

Sangres from South Zapata Trail.jpg

Sangres blanca Massif.jpg

Sangres Westcliffe Mural..jpg

Sangres Willow 100106.jpg

Sangres Willow Falls.jpg

If the North Rim is open and mostly snow free give it a thought.
Wayne