Stuart Fork TH Again

Miya

Because I am able.
I worked it out to have a 5 day weekend for Labor Day.

Left work Friday night and got to Stuart Fork TH in Trinity Alps Wilderness, CA about 4.5 hours later, Saturday morning at 02:30. I enjoyed the comforts of my car again. Freckles and I hit the trail around 07:20. Ever since mine and Bobbi's trip got cut short in May (First Attempt), I have been dying to go back and get the campsite that we were not able to use before. Also, since the Carr Fire destroyed so many acres near by, I just wanted a chance to get back in case something were to happen to that area in the future.

It was only 7 miles to camp, and we were racing against one other group that I was sure wanted the same spot. I was sure if Freckles and I remained slow and steady with little to no breaks, we could beat them.

About a mile and a half in, I realized I forgot my trekking pole sitting against my car. We found me a stick and carried on and I just hoped the pole would still be there when we got back on Tuesday.

There air was still tainted with smoke pollution. All the views were hazy, but still lovely.

Stuart Fork with Freckes-2.jpg

Second attempt at capturing this whole tree. Another fail.

Stuart Fork with Freckes-5.jpg

I loved these trees! Looks like jigsaw pieces!

Stuart Fork with Freckes-6.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-7.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-11.jpg

Luckily, the group I was internally racing against, had a slow dog. We made it to camp about an hour before them! I was pretty proud, I wanted the shade and the closeness to water. There was such a difference this visit, a little disappointing, but I was still happy to be there. I had every intention of swimming at the camp, but the water level was low enough for me to lay flat on my back without being halfway submerged.

Stuart Fork with Freckes-37.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-12.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-13.jpg

We had a lazy Sunday, hiking around the area and collecting wood. I got some reading in and we hit the tents early. This was really my first time hiking a couple miles in direct sunlight, can't lie, it isn't my favorite... While the previous days trek was repeated ups and downs in forest surroundings, with little to no views, there was shade. The 90 degree weather was unwelcome. This trip only proved to me that I prefer winter hiking, and 'backpacking season' really isn't my preferred season.

Stuart Fork with Freckes-16.jpg

Pretending there was a ghost.

Stuart Fork with Freckes-23.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-34.jpg

I slept in till 09:30, but the plan for Monday was to just walk 2 miles towards the car and set up camp again. We took our time breaking camp and didn't leave our camp till 11:00. Just a 100 ft to the meadow and I was instantly worried about the increase in smoke. I used my Garmin to ask my mom if any new fires had popped up. We hiked on and waited for news.

Stuart Fork with Freckes-39.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-41.jpg

My mom ended up getting back to us when we made it to the campground. She let me know that a new fire had started in the Trinity Alps, but that it was contained. It made me nervous though. Freckles was understanding and didn't mind cutting the trip short. So we took our time hiking back (in the shade) and headed back home around 17:00. AND, my trekking pole was there waiting for me!

Stuart Fork with Freckes-40.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-44.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-45.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-49.jpg

Stuart Fork with Freckes-51.jpg

Since the trip ended up short, and I had taken PTO, I finally had time to cut my hair and work on the yard. For extra fun, I went to the Sacramento Zoo (not the hike...but some
recaps).

Zoo-5.jpg

This guy was cracking me up. It was messing with its mouth for over 10 minutes.

Zoo-17.jpgIMG_20180905_1417091.jpg

The red panda was my FAVORITE! ADORABLE.

Zoo-29.jpg

This guy thinks he is so sexy.

Zoo-34.jpg

Zoo-42.jpg

Zoo-36.jpg

Kangaroos are sexy! haha
Lots of interesting shots and glad you were able to get to the camp you wanted. Luckily we are getting right into fall and winter hiking season, which really is the best hiking... at least I think.

Great photos and enjoyed the storytelling as always :twothumbs:
Though I would note @Miya ... you can backpack year-round, so if you are wanting those cooler temps but still getting the sunshine... maybe add it to your list! Just need a few more things in your gear list.

Great photos and enjoyed the storytelling as always :twothumbs:
Though I would note @Miya ... you can backpack year-round, so if you are wanting those cooler temps but still getting the sunshine... maybe add it to your list! Just need a few more things in your gear list.

Oh yes, this was really my first summer of backpacking. My first backpacking trip was last year late September or early October 2017. So I missed the summer season haha.
I still haven't camped in the snow yet, I would like to do it this year, but would prefer doing it with someone who has done it before. We shall see. :D

Kangaroos are sexy! haha
Lots of interesting shots and glad you were able to get to the camp you wanted. Luckily we are getting right into fall and winter hiking season, which really is the best hiking... at least I think.

That particular one wanted to be photographed haha.
Yes, I am really ready for the cooler months. I liked backpacking in November and March and April. :twothumbs:

Lemurs and Giraffes, oh my! Love the shot of the cracked sign.

Thanks, I don't remember it being cracked last time. I thought it looked very dramatic :)