Steve Allen presentation in Durango Feb 22 2024

I enjoyed it a lot. My brain has been in Escalante lately, as I'm exploring options for our spring trip, so it was fun to see and listen to such an expert on that area. I loved his passion, storytelling, and appreciation for the land and its history.

Last night I learned about an old proposal to build a paved highway over the Waterpocket Fold with a bridge past Stevens Arch. Not sure how serious that proposal was, but several of the other projects he listed off would've ruined entire Wilderness Areas if they hadn't been fought tooth and nail. Our idiocy knows no bounds. The main theme was that everyone should join an organization dedicated to conservation, such as Great Old Broads for Wilderness (not required to be great, old, or a broad).

Other highlights included:

--an anecdote about finding a muddy seep up high in the absolute middle of nowhere, and after trying to gently push the surface mud to the side, discovering a pot that had been collecting water drip by drip for over 1000 years. And he realized the seep must've never stopped dripping for 1000 years because if it had dried out or frozen, the pot would've likely cracked.

--answering a question I've always had about cattle down in our favorite canyons. He said they usually just let the mature cattle live there forever, and once a year they come to collect most of the calves to turn into people food. He rattled off some eye-watering statistics about government subsidies and Utah/Western States water usage and cattle vs. their contribution to the economy. Some of the stats were probably misleading, but I agreed with his purpose and it re-engaged my fury.

--several funny stories from interviews with old-timer cowboys about how places got their names

--ideas for new areas to explore in Bears Ears

--ideas for new areas to explore in Bears Ears
Loved the presentation as well, the stories and anecdotes... What a life!

His photos and stories about this area west of Bears Ears were totally unknown to me. Any TRs on backcountry post in this area?

I appreciated the conservation slant, especially coming from someone who has covered so many backcountry miles on foot. Depending on the outcome of the next general election (or if UT's appeal to challenge the Antiquities Act makes it up to SCOTUS), it's inevitable that there will be an attempt to downsize the UT monuments again, and to turn Hole in the Rock into a state park, complete with road paving.

I wish they had presented the slides through Zoom (or shared a link) instead of using a distant camera.

Agree the water usage stats were a bit embellished. It should be closer to 68% of the state's water is used for hay and alfalfa (with 29% exported overseas). There's no way this would be profitable w/o ongoing taxpayer subsidization of water and associated infrastructure.

I just checked the link and see that the article is from 2017. Any recent info about this possibility?
In 2018 the UT legislature passed a bill to pursue federal land transfer, purchase, or leasing to turn Hole in the Rock into a state park. This would be challenging when the land sits within a national monument, but the state is attempting to invalidate that by challenging the Antiquities Act. There is a way to use the Recreational & Public Purposes Act to legally obtain federal land in the public interest or do a land swap (e.g. state trust for federal land). None of these are a swift process, since they require congressional approval.