Spring Canyon and the Frying Pan in CRNP

Cody

I took a two-nighter last fall to explore some nice areas of Capitol Reef along the Highway 24 corridor of the park. It was November, there was fresh snow and some question whether I could complete the route, but I had good early exit options for all of the places where I might have had trouble with snow + exposure. The plan: Upper and Lower Spring Canyon, and looping back via Grand Wash and the Frying Pan Trail.

PC150032.JPG

I parked at Holt Draw Road, just east of Torrey and followed the upper tributaries of Sulphur Creek.

PC150009.JPG

Along the way, I admired a number of petrified logs poking out of the canyon walls and laying across the ground.

PC150010.JPGPC150043.JPGPC150032.JPGPC150050.JPGPC150064.JPG

Access to Upper Spring Canyon is through this notch of the "W" which is a fairly easy scramble, followed by a descent into Spring Canyon that is a little more involved but by no means horrible.

PC150055.JPG

After getting into Spring Canyon, I climbed up high on the north slope to find a lunch perch for some perspective and good views of my route down canyon.

PC150075.JPG

After a nice break I got moving down the canyon and more snow caught up with me and stuck with me for a lot of the afternoon. The floor of Upper Spring Canyon is full of boulders and negotiating them in the wet snow wasn't my favorite thing. This section took me a lot longer than I had planned.

PC150078.JPG

The storm eventually lifted.

PC160106.JPGPC150100.JPG
PC150102.JPG

I eventually found a nice sandy bench to pitch my fly in the event of more snow. There was a LOT of new rockfall in the canyon. I was keen on avoiding getting flattened overnight so I picked a spot where I was confident there wasn't any thing going to come loose from above.
The next morning I came across this scene just down stream from my camp. Falling boulders had just pulverized this big Fremont Cottonwood. The dust from the event was sitting fresh on top of the new snow. It was as if the tree had exploded. Very impressive. The photo doesn't quite give you the depth, but where the two biggest rocks sit on the left is actually quite a nice crater where the tree used to live.
PC160177.JPG
It took a bit of walking that morning before by shoes were fully thawed. When the first rays of sun finally reached down into the canyon it was NICE. I had a long breakfast up on a sunny slope and then headed further down canyon and pulled some water from the spring for the next couple days. I was going to cross the Fremont River later that day, but didn't really want to deal with the silt, nor was I sure if melted snow would be an option further on, so I filled up all my platy bags here.
PC160113.JPG
View attachment 9921
PC160115.JPG
PC160123.JPG

The section below the spring is lovely, although would be much nicer if the cottonwoods still had color on them. Below the spring, Chimney Rock Canyon intersects Spring Canyon and there's a route back to Highway 24 if hikers are only doing one section of Spring Canyon. Past that junction, going down into Lower Spring Canyon, you find a totally different kind of beauty. Big white domes, spires and slots. There is one section that requires a bypass of a series of dry falls. It is on a steep, loose slope and the path across is foot-width in places. This is the section I was most concerned about with the snow, but it didn't turn out to be a problem.

PC160135.JPG

PC160136.JPG PC160130.JPG
PC160128.JPG

Lower Spring Canyon was my favorite section of the hike and I need to go back and hike it in warmer weather as a day loop with Chimney Rock Canyon when I can go at a more leisurely pace.

PC160143.JPGPC160145.JPGPC160145.JPGPC160149.JPGPC160160.JPGPC160161.JPGPC160170.JPGPC160176.JPGPC160181.JPG
PC160182.JPG

Spring Canyon ends at the Fremont River right alongside Highway 24 toward the east end of the park. I forded the Fremont River at just over knee depth. Needless to say, quite cold and also surprisingly swift for that time of year. From there, I walked east on the highway and then up Grand Wash at dusk.

PC160185.JPG

The second night of my permit was up along the Frying Pan Trail. That meant climbing up and out of Grand Wash along the Cassidy Arch trail in the dark--which turned out to be a really neat night hike--and thankfully mostly free of snow. PC160190.JPG
PC160195.JPG

I got up on the Frying Pan and walked for 20 or so minutes in the dark and then dropped camp. I was in for another very cold night, but I had enough time hiking since fording the Fremont that my shoes and pants were mostly dry.

The next morning I had only to hike a short ways down to Fruita via Cohab Canyon so I lingered as the sun warmed up my camp and I enjoyed some breakfast in bed. My improvised camp booties helped to fend off the cold as I cleaned up.

PC170202.JPGPC170203.JPG

Once I finally got moving I was in for some more great Capitol Reef scenery all the way down to Fruita.
PC170206.JPGPC170211.JPGPC170215.JPGPC170226.JPGPC170230.JPGPC170235.JPGPC170237.JPGPC170239.JPGPC170240.JPGPC170243.JPGPC170278.JPG

From Fruita, I anticipated hitchhiking back to Holt Draw Road. In retrospect though, hitching a desert highway, in Utah, in the off season, on a Monday... not the best bet. I got one short hitch: from Fruita C.G. to the Visitor Center and ended up walking almost all of the rest of the way back to Torrey. Only a dozen or so cars passed me along the way and no takers among them. I might have had better luck if I'd hung out at the VC parking lot to chat it up rather than walking down the highway with my thumb out.

PC170285.JPG

Great hike. With a little more time (and warmer weather), I would have liked to tack on another section to the end of the loop: Sulpher Creek. It's 5 miles, and comes out right at Chimney Rock; shortens the shuttling/hitching/road hiking needed to complete the loop.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• PC160165.JPG
    PC160165.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 29
  • PC160168.JPG
    PC160168.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 28
  • PC160171.JPG
    PC160171.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 28
  • PC160174.JPG
    PC160174.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 29
  • PC160179.JPG
    PC160179.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 29
  • PC170209.JPG
    PC170209.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 28
  • PC170222.JPG
    PC170222.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 29
  • PC170238.JPG
    PC170238.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PC170277.JPG
    PC170277.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 29
  • PC170286.JPG
    PC170286.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 30
  • PC150104.JPG
    PC150104.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 25
WOW!

Another amazing unique route through my favorite National Park. Very inspiring stuff.

great report!! You finally did a part of the big loop I really want to do for quite a while.
It's so perfect to connect the sections of the different hikes into a nice backpacking trip.
Thanks for sharing

great report!! You finally did a part of the big loop I really want to do for quite a while.
It's so perfect to connect the sections of the different hikes into a nice backpacking trip.
Thanks for sharing

You kind of gave me the idea. I remember you mentioning plans for a hike along these lines when we were doing the Zion West Desert loop last spring. Hope you get to see it soon. Pretty country.

You kind of gave me the idea. I remember you mentioning plans for a hike along these lines when we were doing the Zion West Desert loop last spring. Hope you get to see it soon. Pretty country.

Yeah, that was the first time I had this loop in mind. But good to see that you finally did it.
I will definitely do it without the snow :)

Interesting to see Spring Canyon in the winter. It's on my CR checklist but I'm leery of dry canyons in the heat. Winter or late in the shoulder seasons seems doable.

Nice to see what I missed. I had planned for Spring Canyon the second week of March, but opted for Upper Muley since after a dreary winter I could use some sunshine.