Sperry Chalet lost in wildfire

MikeM

Devastating news out of Glacier National Park last night as Sperry Chalet was lost to the Sprague Creek fire. My wife and I stayed there last summer with a group of 8 other friends. What an experience! I am so sad to see this news.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cle_79c91852-3ba9-53c8-9bc8-ad6b96168641.html

I thought I would share some pictures from our trip last summer. Feel free to share more if you have any:
IMG_9231.JPG IMG_9229.JPG IMG_9240.JPG IMG_6110.JPG

This really bums me out to see something so iconic that has stood for so long...fall. I had one day hoped to stay up there and experience it with my family. I guess that means I really need to double down on Granite Park. You are lucky.

Also, Veiser officiated my step brothers wedding in Glacier this summer. Awesome dude.

I've done both Granite Park and Sperry, and I hate to say of the two Sperry was my favorite. Probably just because of the easy access to Sperry glacier basin. But both are awesome, and something everyone should experience. It was a great way to get my wife into the backcountry, as she wants nothing to do with sleeping in a tent! haha

I think you guys were up in Glacier around the same time I was, so I must have just missed all of you.

I was hoping someone would start this thread! I don't have any personal experience (other than walking by it a couple times) with Sperry Chalet but with my Sperry Glacier hike on August 8th I got a feel for what it meant to others. I met at least 2 groups that encouraged me to stop at the chalet and receive its welcome. Then there were the handful of people who had the entire day to explore Sperry Glacier because they were spending a couple nights at the chalet. Sadly I didn't have enough time in the day to go those few hundred yards up to the chalet....sigh. It is sad that the 300 year old forest I walked through is now scarred, but I know from the Reynolds Fire from 2015 that fire.....is a good thing. @Jeffrey Chandler also hiked up the Snyder Creek drainage in June 2017 and it is currently on fire with the fire lapping at the Mt. Brown Lookout.

This picture was taken in 1985 (Constructed in 1913)
3sSperryChalet.JPG

Here are a couple pictures I took 3 weeks ago. A majestic shot looking up to its position on the ridge.
IMG_1965.JPG

Looking over to it from the Glacier trail.
IMG_2003.JPG

Nice pics, @chandlerwest

That place definitely left a mark with my wife and I (and our friends). Such a great place to stay and get access to the glacier basin. We hiked in through Gunsight pass, which also gave us a chance to see Gunsight Lake, Lake Ellen Wilson, and climb Lincoln Peak.

Don't know if they'll try to rebuild, but I imagine even if they do it just won't be the same. I understand fire is good for the forest, but I just hate to see such a GNP icon destroyed. Just glad all the firefighters are safe.