Sony RX10 III

gnwatts

On my last float trip I managed to scratch the rear element on a lens, and scratch the low pass filter that covers the sensor on my Sony A7r. I have never scratched anything on a float trip, so I guess it was bound to happen some time.
I decided to look at a point and shoot to avoid the need to change lenses, eliminating any worry about lens and sensor damage.
I decided on the Sony RX10 III as it shares a number of functions and menu's as my Sony A7r. And it has a 24-600mm Zeiss lens.
It is a really solid camera. It is heavy, but considering it has such a large lens I guess it is not to bad. It feels good in my hands.
And it has an old school aperture ring on the lens.

I0000w070Kcv8hL0.jpg

My old Canon A1, Sony A7r and Sony LX10 III:

I0000EVMQa9lNL5M.jpg

I0000vwN3zzkXs4M.jpg

I0000JPLnA2vW62M.jpg

Hand held shots.
@ 24mm:

I0000382cWOhQYrc.jpg

@600mm ( the Optical SteadyShot system really works)

I0000vgJabWWiCtI.jpg

Fun fun fun.

Last edited:
Nice new camera Greg. I presume it is a full frame? What aperture at full zoom?

This is a story I need to hear more about.

I dropped my 55mm sitting in my canoe. I had it sitting in my lap, it inexplicably slid down my leg and bounced off my bag onto the floor of the canoe. When I looked at the rear element there was a tiny scratch. The scratch is not visible in the image.
When I got home I then noticed a small spot on the low pass filter that covers the sensor. I have no idea how it got there. It makes a mark on the image.

Nice new camera Greg. I presume it is a full frame? What aperture at full zoom?

It's not full frame. It has a 1" sensor. I am surprised at the image quality. It is f/4 at 600mm.

What does it weigh in at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you done any pixel peeping with prime lenses and full frame images? Ken Rockwell was gushing all over himself about this camera. Just curious before I drop more money than the Sony A7 and a 24-70 OSS lens. And a couple adapters for my very nice legacy lenses.
Thanks!
Wayne

Not sure what you mean by "prime" lens. The lens is not removable. I have not shot anything at a lower ISO and on a tripod, these shots were hand held at ISO250. Here is a 100% crop at 600mm:

I0000miKpl.DdfQ4.jpg

I have lightened it up a bit. There is some grain, but very little. On a tripod at iso50 it will look cleaner.
A pretty good comparison between the A7 and the RX10 II:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx10-iii/sony-rx10-iiiA4.HTM

You can't expect a camera with a 1" sensor to compete with a full frame sensor obviously. Some sacrifices need
to be made. The A7 and RX10 III are made to do different things. If you need what an A7 has to offer you won't like the RX10. Different cameras, for different markets.
I am tired (literally) of dragging along all of my lenses, so I wanted a good all around point and shoot camera. The 24-600mm zoom on this camera is pretty unique, It is rare to find a lens that goes from 24mm to 600mm.

If you are interested in getting your sensor cover glass replaced I can give a hearty recommendation for Kolari Vision. I had them do a thin filter conversion on a Sony body but they also do stock replacements. Really great service.

Will be interested to hear about your rx10 experiences. I’ve been looking for a cheap mk1 for work.

Hmm, really looks like an interesting rig. I do like the idea of so much lens versatility all in one. I think a camera like this would do a ton for me but I have an addiction to expensive glass that has kind of held me back on getting a rig like this. interested to see how it works out for you. how is the battery life?

If you are interested in getting your sensor cover glass replaced I can give a hearty recommendation for Kolari Vision. I had them do a thin filter conversion on a Sony body but they also do stock replacements. Really great service.

Will be interested to hear about your rx10 experiences. I’ve been looking for a cheap mk1 for work.

Thanks @Brendan S. I have priced a low pass filter, and the company wants $450. I will check out Kolari. If it is $450 I will probably wait until I can afford a used body, which I need anyway.

Hmm, really looks like an interesting rig. I do like the idea of so much lens versatility all in one. I think a camera like this would do a ton for me but I have an addiction to expensive glass that has kind of held me back on getting a rig like this. interested to see how it works out for you. how is the battery life?

@b.stark I have the same addiction! As I said previously it strains my marriage of 35 years, but it is tax deductible. The battery life sort of sucks like my A7R, but if you use the zoom button it eats it up fast. I just buy tons of cheap after market batteries.
I have found the 24-600mm zoom to be very sharp. I will post some shots with my A7R and 85mm Zeiss, and compare the RX10 III at the same focal length, and 100% crops. It is not as sharp as the 85mm, but sharp enough for me, especially at 200mm, as it does soften in the corners at 24mm and 600mm. But cropping out the corners takes care of that. It does have a much quieter shutter than the A7R, which is a big plus.

Mt. Daly @ 220mm:

I0000Qr_i6ohpsUw.jpg

100% crop:

I0000bfYpY.ChDCo.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "prime" lens. The lens is not removable. I have not shot anything at a lower ISO and on a tripod, these shots were hand held at ISO250. Here is a 100% crop at 600mm:

I0000miKpl.DdfQ4.jpg

I have lightened it up a bit. There is some grain, but very little. On a tripod at iso50 it will look cleaner.
A pretty good comparison between the A7 and the RX10 II:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx10-iii/sony-rx10-iiiA4.HTM

You can't expect a camera with a 1" sensor to compete with a full frame sensor obviously. Some sacrifices need
to be made. The A7 and RX10 III are made to do different things. If you need what an A7 has to offer you won't like the RX10. Different cameras, for different markets.
I am tired (literally) of dragging along all of my lenses, so I wanted a good all around point and shoot camera. The 24-600mm zoom on this camera is pretty unique, It is rare to find a lens that goes from 24mm to 600mm.

I meant comparison shots between this camera and it’s fixed lens with the same scene shot with a fixed focus lens, say 24mm. However, I’m thinking that with digital and two different cameras, sensors, graphics engines and software there are too many variables.
Suffice to say that this camera and lens work well together.
Thanks for sharing. My dilemma now is old lenses and a Sony A7 or the RX10 III and a lens for everything.
PS: I just priced a 600mm f/4 lens. Yikes!
Wayne

Last edited:
Got it.
The A7 is a better camera in some ways than the A7R. Smaller sensor but better shutter, and cheaper. I don't think the extra 10mp with the A7R is a big deal. I have used a Canon 70-200 l with a Metabones III adapter on my A7R, with mixed results. Lousy AF. And shutter shake, which you won't have with the A7.
Zeiss lenses tend to be a little warmer, which is the biggest difference I have found with Canon lenses.
600mm is a ton of fun.

Last edited: