Sony A6000

John Goering

Ok, I've been a Canon person all my life but from the reviews/price, the A6000 is looking very attractive and about half the weight of what I've been packing around. I know some people on here have bought them and am fishing for real opinions. And I could care less that the AF can't quite keep up with the 11 fps.

Also, any experience using Canon EF lens' on one would be helpful.

Thanks

I have the earliest model Sony mirrorless and have been seriously considering moving up to the a6000 as well. I was initially turned off to it being so much bigger/bulkier than the earlier Sony mirrorless models but I really want the viewfinder and better LCD screen that comes on the a6000 along with the better picture quality of course. So I too would be interested in testimonials from those who have one.

So @lostlandscapes, were those pics not taken with the standard 16-50mm lens that it comes with (you mentioned a 10-18mm)?

I have the earliest model Sony mirrorless and have been seriously considering moving up to the a6000 as well. I was initially turned off to it being so much bigger/bulkier than the earlier Sony mirrorless models but I really want the viewfinder and better LCD screen that comes on the a6000 along with the better picture quality of course. So I too would be interested in testimonials from those who have one.

So @lostlandscapes, were those pics not taken with the standard 16-50mm lens that it comes with (you mentioned a 10-18mm)?

Yep, taken with the 10-18 (which is more like 15-28 or so when converted). Haven't used the kit lens, so can't comment on that one. Reviews I've read about that lens are mixed (which is par for the course for kits). The overall experience with the Sony has been very positive. Of course it's taken a bit of time familiarizing myself with the ergonomics and UI of the software, but everything seems very intuitive. Only complaint so far is battery life; it really chews through those things.

I shoot with the a6000. I sold all my Canon SLR stuff after I bought it and saw that the results were far superior to my Canon.

@andyjaggy - what's your assessment of the kit lens? Also, how often do you find yourself using the viewfinder as opposed to just the LCD when shooting?

@Opi - unless you're just replacing a damaged body I would think you would want to pay the extra $150 for the kit with the lens.

Reactions: Opi
I have the A6000 and have been very happy with it. I only have the 16-50 kit lens and the Rokinon 12mm F2 lens right now but both have been fine for my needs. The battery life could be the only minor gripe but with a fully manual lens like the Rokinon i've found the battery life to be fine really. It seems that the camera communicating with the fully auto lenses, always trying to focus itself etc is what really uses up the battery.

I'm not half the photographer that @lostlandscapes is, but i'm very happy with this camera!

@Dan_85 do you happen to have any pictures of the same shot taken with both the kit lens and then with the wide angle prime lens? If so I'd be really interested in seeing them. If you don't want to post them, would you be willing to pm them to me?

@Dan_85 do you happen to have any pictures of the same shot taken with both the kit lens and then with the wide angle prime lens? If so I'd be really interested in seeing them. If you don't want to post them, would you be willing to pm them to me?

I actually don't i'm afraid :( I'll try to snap a few comparison shots this week, they won't be anything particularly scenic though unfortunately!

I've had the 12mm on the camera pretty much consistently since I got it in mid-June. I've attached a few shots from the last few weeks showing how it performs in a variety of different conditions. It's a great lens and fantastic for astrophotography too apparently, but I really struggle waking up to take those!

DSC01754.jpg DSC01838.jpg DSC01925.jpg DSC02182.jpg DSC02309.jpg

@Dan_85, that Roki 12mm is on my wishlist for night stuff; glad to see you getting some nice shots with it.

And oh, one other significant complaint I have of this body is it lacks an electronic level. Not the end of the world, as you can remedy that with a small bubble level mounted on the Hot shoe, but in this day and age it's a surprising omission. Especially since the a5000 had it.

@Vegan.Hiker, personally I've started using the viewfinder more than the LCD as a means of saving some battery life. Both work equally well. The LCD has a nice resolution, and it's max-brightness is more than enough for mid-day viewing. I've found that that setting will kill the battery pretty efficiently though, so I tend to keep it off during the day.

@Vegan.Hiker, personally I've started using the viewfinder more than the LCD as a means of saving some battery life. Both work equally well. The LCD has a nice resolution, and it's max-brightness is more than enough for mid-day viewing. I've found that that setting will kill the battery pretty efficiently though, so I tend to keep it off during the day.

Interesting, I'm a photography noob so I would have never even thought of that advantage of the viewfinder over the lcd. With the older sony model I have (NEX-3N) the LCD just sucks, especially in bright sunlight. Sometimes it's hard to really fine tune in manual focus, or even get the composition right cause I can't see the screen well, which is why I want the viewfinder.

Fantastic shots @Dan_85!

Last edited:
Great info. guys. I've been looking at the A6000 for few weeks now. I love the Sony mirrorless cameras, and have an NEX-5 and NEX-7. However, the NEX-7 has some scratches on the sensor, and the A6000 seems to have the best balance of image quality / features and size that I am looking for in a replacement / upgrade.

I haven't used the kit lens. I have the 10-18 which is great, and the 16-70 which is expensive but really not worth the money. I also have the 18-105 which is pretty good. The 18-105 is pretty sharp but it's decentered. So I have to manually focus on the edges to get the edges and corners in focus.

We have the A6000. Our first 'real' digital camera. Use it mostly in P&S mode to document adventures. Far bigger than anything I've carried since my 80's OM-1.

Very pleased. Seems rugged enough.

Well, I bit the bullet and it's sitting on the counter. Now, after the 1.5 hour DVD, not sure my memory is going to be good enough to really make use of it-wow, that's one hell of a big bunch of menus. I am getting a lens adapter so I can use some of my old Canon FD lens-still have some nice glass in a few of those. Along with a couple extra batteries and a stand alone charger. Let the fun begin-----