Snowshoeing For Dummies

pixie1339

Desperately Seeking Sandstone
Once again the cold, dark January days have got me down. I'm at my usual January activities of photo catch up and dreaming of upcoming trips for the year. What I really want is to go outside and play, but I'm not equipped to do so in this weather. I've pretty much decided that I need to get snowshoeing gear. I'll probably wait until the winter clearance deals start coming through, but I need some help from the knowledgeable folks of BCP to tell me what I'll need to get. Snowshoes, obviously, but what else? Can I use my regular trekking poles if I put baskets on them? Snow pants and waterproof boots. What about gaiters? Does anyone use them or will pants and boots suffice? Waterproof coat, hat, and gloves and some sunglasses are about the only other things I can think of besides some good warm clothes underneath it all. I'm probably missing something important. I've never done any winter sports period, so I'm really starting at square one. Thanks guys!

When I snowshoe I use my regular trekking poles with snow baskets...they work fine.

I wear waterproof and insulated winter boots, but just my regular hiking pants with layers underneath as needed.

When I am snowshoeing on popular trails that are already packed down I don't bother with gaiters. I only use them if I'll be breaking fresh trail.

Randy, would you mind sharing the kind of snow shoes you are using? I actually bought a pair about five years ago, but have never used them. I think they are MSR brand. I bought the smallest/shortest/lightest pair that I though had a chance of being sufficient for my weight, but having never used them, I can't say if they actually are sufficient.

Anyway... Just curious what is working for you.

- DAA

I have the MSR Evo Tours and they seem to work well for me. They work well on packed trails 'as is' and I can put the tails on them for more flotation when off of the packed trails.

Randy, would you mind sharing the kind of snow shoes you are using? I actually bought a pair about five years ago, but have never used them. I think they are MSR brand. I bought the smallest/shortest/lightest pair that I though had a chance of being sufficient for my weight, but having never used them, I can't say if they actually are sufficient.

Anyway... Just curious what is working for you.

- DAA

When I snowshoe I use my regular trekking poles with snow baskets...they work fine.

I wear waterproof and insulated winter boots, but just my regular hiking pants with layers underneath as needed.

When I am snowshoeing on popular trails that are already packed down I don't bother with gaiters. I only use them if I'll be breaking fresh trail.

Cool. It's good to know I can just buy some baskets for my poles. If you're using your regular hiking pants with layers underneath, would it be safe to assume that I could use the rain pants I bought for backpacking as an outer layer as long as I have warm layers underneath?

You can rent shoes at REI to get started. Don't go overboard buying gear, it's not that kind of sport.

For a beginner, get a basic set of shoes. Costco sometimes has good package deals. If renting, REI tends to have fancier MSR stuff.

I don't use poles. The most important thing is layering your clothing and being smart about using the layers. I wear an insulation base layer (top and bottom). On my legs I wear a heavy wool pant, leather boots and wool socks (don't really need waterproof for Utah powder) and knee-high gaiters. I don't like snow pants because they don't breathe, meaning sweat will be trapped against your skin.

On the top I'll wear a base layer, insulation layer and shell. Gloves and cap are necessary as well. Sometimes when working hard I'll strip all the way down to the base layer to avoid building up much sweat. If the weather is really cold I'll use a balaclava for my face, but this also fogs glasses, so it can be a pain.

If temperatures are at or below freezing, you have to be careful that your water doesn't freeze. Carrying a bladder beneath your insulation layer can help.

You can rent shoes at REI to get started. Don't go overboard buying gear, it's not that kind of sport.

For a beginner, get a basic set of shoes. Costco sometimes has good package deals. If renting, REI tends to have fancier MSR stuff.

I don't use poles. The most important thing is layering your clothing and being smart about using the layers. I wear an insulation base layer (top and bottom). On my legs I wear a heavy wool pant, leather boots and wool socks (don't really need waterproof for Utah powder) and knee-high gaiters. I don't like snow pants because they don't breathe, meaning sweat will be trapped against your skin).

On the top I'll wear a base layer, insulation layer and shell. Gloves and cap are necessary as well. Sometimes when working hard I'll strip all the way down to the base layer to avoid building up much sweat. If the weather is really cold I'll use a balaclava for my face, but this also fogs glasses, so it can be a pain.

If temperatures are at or below freezing, you have to be careful that your water doesn't freeze. Carrying a bladder beneath your insulation layer can help.

Nice! I didn't even think to check Costco. I'll have to see what they've got. I was also thinking that renting a pair from REI would be a good idea just to get started. Do you know about how much their rentals run by chance? Fortunately I have a good start on layers thanks to backpacking. Do you think a rain jacket would be a sufficient shell up top or would I need something beefier? I bought an insulated Camelbak a few months ago. It has a sleeve for the bladder and a neoprene cover for the hose. Hopefully that would be enough to prevent my water from freezing up.

So just for grins I put my snowshoes on and walked around the backyard :D. About 2 feet of fresh powder back there. The ones I have aren't MSR after all, now I seem to remember the guy at Recreation Outlet talking me out of spending that much and so I bought some cheaper ones that looked very similar instead. And I had totally forgot actually getting two pair, but I did - so I have two pair of unused snowshoes.

Anway... I think the "825" on them indicates the size. And I don't think they are long enough for my weight. I was sinking in that powder pretty deep... Maybe they would work okay on an established trail, but I don't think they are going to cut it for me in deep untracked snow.

- DAA

Anway... I think the "825" on them indicates the size. And I don't think they are long enough for my weight. I was sinking in that powder pretty deep... Maybe they would work okay on an established trail, but I don't think they are going to cut it for me in deep untracked snow.

If they're MSR style you might need to get tails that attach to the back for powder. The out-of-the-box MSR style are better for packed trail or ascending slopes.

I bought an insulated Camelbak a few months ago. It has a sleeve for the bladder and a neoprene cover for the hose. Hopefully that would be enough to prevent my water from freezing up.

In my experience, the valve freezes before the hose. It's important to keep water trickling through them both, same way you can prevent pipes from freezing by letting the faucet drip.

I have a pair of Crescent Moon snowshoes and use my trekking poles with baskets. I carry a pack when I am out for a while so I can shed layers. You will find yourself changing layers depending on your activity level. I use water bottles instead of a bladder to eliminate the freezing issue. MoJo and Cliff bars are a must. Plus dog treats for Riley who usually ends up walking on the tails of my snowshoes.

FWIW I'm pretty selective about when I use trekking poles, and I couldn't imagine snowshoeing without them. But with that said, my snowshoes haven't been used in 5+ years. :) Aside from what everyone else has said, I wouldn't bother with anything you don't already have until you just get out and do a quick trip and make sure you like it. I'm personally not too fond of snowshoeing, although if it were a way to go overnight in a yurt or something, then I'd love it.

I think most have covered the basics here for you, and clothing wise it sounds like you are set.

I use my rain jacket as a shell up top, but most of the time it stays in my pack unless it's windy or stormy.

Awesome! Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I think I'll try and improvise with what I have for my clothing. I definitely need to get some waterproof, insulated boots. The boots I currently own are waterproof, but not insulated. I took my cat for a 20 minute walk yesterday and my feet were freezing by the time we got back! I'll also need baskets for my poles, waterproof gloves, and some gaiters.

I have snowboots from The North Face that I absolutely love (and wear snowshoeing). My boyfriend calls them foofoo (they're cute enough to wear around and have fuzzy lining), but they are insulated, waterproof, and I've walked in thigh-high snow in them and snow hasn't gotten into my boots and my toes have never gotten cold in them. I got them at REI and they were worth every penny. I just wear waterproof windpants over my layers for snowshoeing, the usual layers on top, my boots and I'm fine. We have wet, sticky snow here in CA and those things work so it should be fine in dry, powdery snow.

p.s. please post a photo of yourself walking your cat in the snow! :D

I use a pair of MSR Lightning Axis snowshoes and love them. And sure, my trekking poles I usually use during long hikes in summer as well.
I also bought a good pair of water resistant winter hiking boots, because they are much warmer than regular boots. I really hate it having cold feet and the winter hiking boots are insulated and so cozy, especially during these extremely cold days.
As it goes to layers, I usually get really warm very fast and I never bring the warmest stuff. Just shell pants without insulation, a base layer, thin fleece shirt and a vest.
If it is really brisk and windy outside, I use a shell jacket instead a vest.

pixie1339

be sure to buy a pair of shoes that fit your weight.
Otherwise you'll have a hard times, if the shoes are too small in length or too big.
I used bought smaller ones because my old ones I used for many years were way too big, because I lost so much weight throughout the last 2 years.
I had a hard time with them last year and since I downgraded in size I'm absolutely comfortable again

I have snowboots from The North Face that I absolutely love (and wear snowshoeing).

I tried on some boots at REI last night, including a North Face pair that I really wanted, but each boot had a pitfall, so I'll have to head over to Sportsman's Warehouse sometime this week and see what they've got.

p.s. please post a photo of yourself walking your cat in the snow! :D

Haha, I wondered if someone would react to that.:) We took in a kitty on New Year Day that someone either lost or abandoned. He likes to go outside, so I take him out on the weekends for a stroll around the apartment complex. I don't put him on a leash, so it might not look as funny as it sounds, but he sure enjoys it. I just let him go where he wants and I follow him around. I'll have to take my camera with us the next time we go for a walk.

I use a pair of MSR Lightning Axis snowshoes and love them. And sure, my trekking poles I usually use during long hikes in summer as well.
I also bought a good pair of water resistant winter hiking boots, because they are much warmer than regular boots. I really hate it having cold feet and the winter hiking boots are insulated and so cozy, especially during these extremely cold days.
As it goes to layers, I usually get really warm very fast and I never bring the warmest stuff. Just shell pants without insulation, a base layer, thin fleece shirt and a vest.
If it is really brisk and windy outside, I use a shell jacket instead a vest.

pixie1339

be sure to buy a pair of shoes that fit your weight.
Otherwise you'll have a hard times, if the shoes are too small in length or too big.
I used bought smaller ones because my old ones I used for many years were way too big, because I lost so much weight throughout the last 2 years.
I had a hard time with them last year and since I downgraded in size I'm absolutely comfortable again

Thanks for the tips Yvonne! I will make sure when I buy a pair that I buy the right size. At first I didn't understand why there were different sizes, but it didn't take me long to figure out that the size correlates to your weight.

Thanks for the tips Yvonne! I will make sure when I buy a pair that I buy the right size. At first I didn't understand why there were different sizes, but it didn't take me long to figure out that the size correlates to your weight.

While weight is important for determining size, also consider the trails you will be on. You can get away with smaller shoes on packed trails (I find larger shoes more awkward on packed trails) than you can on fresh powder. That's why I like the versatility of the MSRs, since you can add the tails for the powder, yet still have smaller shoes for packed trails.

While weight is important for determining size, also consider the trails you will be on. You can get away with smaller shoes on packed trails (I find larger shoes more awkward on packed trails) than you can on fresh powder. That's why I like the versatility of the MSRs, since you can add the tails for the powder, yet still have smaller shoes for packed trails.

Good point Randy! The MSR snowshoes sound really nice.