Gear Review Slik Mini II tripod

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by wsp_scott, Jan 31, 2017.

1. wsp_scott

wsp_scott Member

I recently got a Slik Mini II (amazon link) because I wanted something with a little more flexibility that the Joby Gorrila pod (amazon link), but still not too heavy. I've never had a "fancy" tripod, so I have no idea how this compares.

The Joby is ~$50 and the Slik is ~$80. And 14oz vs 28oz, I wish I had just bought the Slik and skipped the Joby.

I'm pretty happy with the stability of the Slik, but I never extended the center column. I'm not sure how well it would work with a heavier camera or a longer lens, but the price and weight make it a pretty good deal for my setup. The only thing that gives me pause is the locking mechanism for the legs, they are plastic and seemed a little "fragile" when the temperature was in the 20s. Hopefully, they will hold up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple photos for comparison.

The camera is a Nikon D5100 with a 18-105 lens that weighs 36.45 oz. The ball head is solid enough that portrait mode photos were no problem, landscape mode was very stable.

[​IMG]

The chair is a "normal" dining room chair to give an idea about height. Without any legs extended, the Slik is very compact and easy to fit in the side pocket of my pack.

[​IMG]

With the legs completely extended

[​IMG]

With the center column extended as well.

[​IMG]

The legs have 3 positions (angles), this is the most extreme.

[​IMG]

Middle position of the legs.

[​IMG]

Steepest angle of the legs.

[​IMG]