Slaving away in Zion

Nick

-
Lately I've had the pleasure of getting paid to hike a bunch of easy trails for a project that I'm working on. More details on that early next year but it's been pretty intense. I think I'm about up to 20 that I've hiked just since the end of October. It's been fun to see all these places I usually would pass by and a nice break for my knee.

Over the first weekend in November, I was originally planning a big canyoneering trip like last year to hit the fall colors, but my knee, and the need to get these trails done changed the plan. But lucky for me, my trip partners were still insistent on joining me for at least part of it.

They went off and did the Subway one day while I went over to Snow Canyon and Red Cliffs to hike some trails. I'd never been to either place. It was really nice.

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

I was really impressed with the diversity of the landscape in Snow Canyon. The first trail I hiked was less than 2 miles but it still had all sorts of cool things to see like this sweet lava tube.
IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

After that I hiked the short half mile trail to Jenny's Canyon
IMG_3347.jpg

Next up I drove over to Red Cliffs to hike the Red Reef Trail up to the moki steps. At the lower pools, I found my first tarantula in the desert. I feel like I spend a pretty decent amount of time out here so it has really frustrated me that I'd never seen one before, especially since I see them in other people's pics fairly often. This one was dead but still cool. That's an 82mm cap there.
IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

I couldn't walk past that and not check it out.
IMG_3448.jpg

Sure enough, amongst the 1,000 scribblings from modern asshats, there were a couple of legit pictographs.
IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

The moki steps. I turned around here but I'd love to come back and explore more of this canyon sometime. Looks great on google earth.
IMG_3505.jpg

Next I went back to Zion and picked up the crew as they exited the Subway. I was waiting for them at the top of the steep climb with cold beer and then it was off to camp. Easy there Jen!
IMG_3540.jpg

The view 100 yards from camp.
IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

@San taco and his burning man.
IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

The next day it was time to hit all the little hikes in Zion that I always pass up. To the shuttle!
IMG_3582.jpg

Ahh, the sky shaping up nicely. It had been nothing but blue until now.
IMG_3594.jpg

Court of the Patriarchs from inside the shuttle
IMG_3603.jpg

Zion Lodge on our way to the Emerald Pools
IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

Lower Pool. Not much water and not much color left.
IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

Upper Pool with the people photoshopped out. :)
IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

Next stop, Weeping Rock!
IMG_4094.jpg

We arrived at the same time as about 50 asian school kids so we had to chill out for a bit until I could get some shots.
IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

The day was almost done but we still had a little time. Off to the Riverside Walk. We were greeted immediately to about a half dozen deer that didn't seem to care at all about us being there.
IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

The buck getting his yucca on.

The colors were nice on the trail, the light - not so nice.
IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg

Nice twilight afterglow at the Temple of Sinewava
IMG_4606.jpg

We went back to town and had dinner at Oscar's - my former favorite place to eat in Springdale. They really botched it in many ways. Hopefully it was just a glitch. From there we went up to another nice campsite just outside the park and spent the night. The next day we got up and went home. I'll take this kind of 'work' any day.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

great shots of my backyard?
Too bad you turned around at the Moqui Steps, it's really cool behind there. A nice slot area and some really interesting canyons.

Great Tarantula, I've also only seen one in my entire life and it was also a dead one. But even dead they are impressive