Sigma autofocus failing

Nick

-
I bought a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 a bit over a month ago. It has been a fantastic lens with image quality that I would have thought only possible out of a full-frame camera. But there's a problem... Within the last week or so, the autofocus on it can't seem to figure out where to focus. It just hunts back and forth like crazy and often can never find a point to focus on. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Any ideas on how to fix myself?

I'm kind of pissed since it's only like 5 weeks old. If it weren't just outside the 30-day return period from Amazon, it would be going back. So I guess I need to send it off for repair.

When I try to autofocus on something in live view, it find a point much faster. Unfortunately, it is totally out of focus when it thinks it is in focus. Ugh. I guess I won't have my new lens for Zion and The Maze. Thanks a lot Sigma. :cry:

I called Sigma, they told me I'd have to send it in for 2+ weeks to get the eprom replaced. I bitched and moaned a bit about how I bought it just for these big trips I have coming up and the only solution they offered was that I buy a new one in the meantime and then return that one when I get my repair back! So I went to Amazon and explained the situation and they agreed to just take the original back even though it is outside the return period. I have a brand spanky new lens getting sent via next day air for tomorrow. Woot!

I called Sigma, they told me I'd have to send it in for 2+ weeks to get the eprom replaced. I bitched and moaned a bit about how I bought it just for these big trips I have coming up and the only solution they offered was that I buy a new one in the meantime and then return that one when I get my repair back! So I went to Amazon and explained the situation and they agreed to just take the original back even though it is outside the return period. I have a brand spanky new lens getting sent via next day air for tomorrow. Woot!

I press both thumbs for you that the new one will work. :twothumbs:
And glad to hear Amazon will take the original one back.

I asked around, a lot of friends had similar problems with Sigma lenses before and it was the reason they sold their lenses and switched to better ones.
And that's one of the reasons I'm not buying a Sigma lens.

I press both thumbs for you that the new one will work. :twothumbs:
And glad to hear Amazon will take the original one back.

I asked around, a lot of friends had similar problems with Sigma lenses before and it was the reason they sold their lenses and switched to better ones.
And that's one of the reasons I'm not buying a Sigma lens.

I haven't had any problems with Sigma in the past. And the quality of this particular lens is stunning. I rented Canon's equivelant last year, the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM. It was nice but didn't perform quite as well, was heavier and cost more than 2 times as much! Not to mention a shorter warranty period. For all that, I'll risk having to send it in someday. I just hope it's not 5 weeks in next time. ;) And GO AMAZON!!! :D

I haven't had any problems with Sigma in the past. And the quality of this particular lens is stunning. I rented Canon's equivelant last year, the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM. It was nice but didn't perform quite as well, was heavier and cost more than 2 times as much! Not to mention a shorter warranty period. For all that, I'll risk having to send it in someday. I just hope it's not 5 weeks in next time. ;) And GO AMAZON!!! :D

I press both thumbs for you, Nick.
I'm sure this time you'll get a better lens.

Ugh. New Sigma lens is doing the same autofocus crap. Returning them both, time to go lens shopping. Crap crap crap. Do NOT want to spend $1100 on the Canon equivalent... :mad: