Sharing Sulphur Creek

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
A week after coming off the wind-blown Colorado, I headed south again to share one of my favorite places with family. Over the winter, my sister had tried to arrange a Fiery Furnace tour for mid-April to celebrate the end of her semester in grad school. I'd advised her to steer clear of Arches though, pointing out the fee-free week coinciding with Earth Day would turn Arches into a zoo. Instead, I suggested instead hitting up Capitol Reef.

_MG_7201.jpg

"We'll have a much better experience there. Capitol Reef at its most crowded is like Arches at its least."

At once though I felt an odd sense of pressure. What if it doesn't live up to my hype? What hike can we do to give a group of backcountry novices a challenging yet achievable experience?

The second question was the real tough one. Our group was to include not just myself but also my brother, his girlfriend, three of my sisters, two brother-in-laws, one sister's boyfriend, a whole flock of nieces and nephews as well as my parents.

Experience and capabilities ran the gamut. Pick an easy hike off the main drag and the adults would feel bored. Choose something adventurous like Halls Creek and we'd risk overdoing it.

The choice seemed clear.

Sulphur Creek.

_MG_6859.jpg

I'd done it before, knew the route and would feel comfortable leading the group through it. Visually, it has the goods. The waterfalls and narrow walls would take the novices in our group well outside their field of experience.

The only other question was, would the weather cooperate?

When I checked the CRNP webcam a day before our planned departure, it didn't look good.

capitol-reef-field-station-640_2016_04_28_16_40_00_00.jpg

We set lower Calf Creek as a contingency and headed south.

On the morning of our hike, I checked every forecast I could find online. There was a chance for snow but it was slight and scattered. Sulphur Creek was about calf-deep behind the park visitor center. Hydrographs for nearby waterways looked pretty stable, with one exception.

IMG_5943.PNG

The Dirty Devil had just flashed, but Muddy Creek and the Fremont both looked good.

Rangers at the visitor center told one of my sisters Sulphur Creek was too dangerous to enter, so she, her husband and their kids split off on their own. I wasn't so convinced. While there was a degree of risk, it seemed well within my margin of comfort.

We ran our shuttles and started out down the dry wash.

At the creek's edge, my younger sister and her boyfriend decided to turn back. They'd not prepared for a walk in the watercourse.

_MG_6850.jpg

Thick clouds swirled overhead, at times obscuring the sun.

_MG_6879.jpg

_MG_6885.jpg

Still, weather remained dry. We even had patches of beautiful blue sky.

_MG_6888.jpg

Then, not so blue skies.

_MG_6909.jpg

At the first waterfall I advised the group we would need to keep moving and not dawdle in the narrows.

_MG_6944.jpg

This was the crux of the canyon and the one area we would not want to get stuck if the weather turned south.

_MG_6961.jpg

No sooner had we dropped the first falls than a blast of hail hit us. I laughed at the bad luck.

_MG_6971.jpg

Thankfully, the skies opened again before too long.

_MG_6989.jpg

_MG_7004.jpg

Shafts of sunlight traced across the canyon floor, lighting up the cottonwoods.

_MG_7007.jpg

_MG_7031.jpg

_MG_7056.jpg

None of the obstacles in Sulphur Creek are technical, but the scrambles pushed the limits of some in the group. I never in my life thought I'd see my mom tackling a down climb around a waterfall. It was awesome to see her do it.

_MG_7070.jpg

_MG_7083.jpg

The last time I came through Sulphur Creek, this giant log was wedged tight between the walls of the first waterfall.

_MG_7103.jpg

To see it flushed so far downstream reminded me just how dangerous this canyon can be. It would have taken a huge amount of force to dislodge the log and force it through the narrows.

_MG_7114.jpg

The weather only improved as we proceeded through the final stretches of the canyon.

_MG_7117.jpg

_MG_7130.jpg

My eye was continually drawn to the strong contrast between green and blue.

_MG_7142.jpg

_MG_7156.jpg

_MG_7163.jpg

After the hike, we regrouped for lunch, lounged a bit and then headed over to the Goosenecks overlook to get the birdseye view of what we'd just hiked.

_MG_7188-HDR.jpg

The sun was just sinking over the horizon.

_MG_7193.jpg

Behind us, the long light lit up the landscape beautifully.

_MG_7199.jpg

To the north, dramatic clouds were racing across Cathedral Valley.

_MG_7221-HDR.jpg

_MG_7239.jpg

Day's end.

_MG_7218-HDR.jpg

The next morning, my brother-in-law and I rolled out of bed early to catch the sunrise.

_MG_7294-HDR.jpg

We returned to the rim of Sulphur Creek and spent about an hour chatting about photography and enjoying the light.

_MG_7296.jpg

_MG_7302.jpg

_MG_7308.jpg

_MG_7312.jpg

_MG_7327.jpg

He, his family and my parents planned to head east to Goblin Valley for the day. The rest of us intended to hit Calf Creek.

A huge cloud front like a wave was pushing up from the south, leaving me concerned about the potential for bad weather.

_MG_7333.jpg

Undeterred, we headed for the falls. None of the rest had been there before, so it was another opportunity to share.

_MG_7361.jpg

Our luck at last ran out when a steady, cold rain hit us about halfway back to the car.

After lunch at Escalante Outfitters, I suggested we swing by Bryce Canyon. Several of the group had not been there either, or at least not as adults. My interagency pass meant it would cost us nothing to make a quick detour there on the way back to I-15.

_MG_7386.jpg

_MG_7390.jpg

_MG_7393.jpg

_MG_7394.jpg

We didn't stay long, as the weather was highly unfavorable.

_MG_7400.jpg

The spotty light made for some pretty photos though.

_MG_7405.jpg

_MG_7407.jpg

_MG_7412.jpg

_MG_7414.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy how you guys from Utah can add in a stop at a whole other National Park on the drive home.

Highway 12 is awesome that way. I followed nearly the same route a couple weeks later but saw entirely different areas. I'll post that trip report in a bit.

It can be really fun showing family, and friends these places that have become our home. Looks like everyone had a great time. Weather can be a bit hard, but the light shows are worth it everytime imo.

I'm impressed that you can remember that kind of detail with that log that was jammed at the first falls and then to notice it again well down the stream and past the 3rd falls it appears. I remember seeing that log the first time I went down with my family, and remembered not noticing it there when I went up the opposite way last year. Awesome pics! I hope everyone enjoyed their trip, even those who turned back early.

I'm impressed that you can remember that kind of detail with that log that was jammed at the first falls and then to notice it again well down the stream and past the 3rd falls it appears.

I was bummed when I realized it wasn't there any more. It was a great object lesson though on the power of floods in narrow canyons.

Very pretty. I've found myself up there on the rim of Sulphur Creek twice this year and it really made me want to do this. Thanks for posting.

Great TR and pics! I just did Sulphur Creek for the first time, and it was beautiful. Getting by that 3rd and final waterfall was pretty scary, mostly because my shoes were wet.